£ $ €............

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pitch temp was a great leveler, but you could have played 2 Ossies and 3 Hibbo's against the Chelski left and they still would have got through.

It was a massive effort, and to keep them down to a goal adrift. Anyone else think we were going to snatch it right at the death? Until a crap freekick from someone killed that buzz.

I think trying to identify a single area where it all went wrong is the wrong way to go. I know we'd like it to be just one area, because if it were then it would be dead simple to fix it. So I do understand why we'd all love to say that it was down to effort, or just down to Hibbert etc, but the truth us we are a long, long way from being as good as Chelsea. Even with Jags, Yak and Arteta, we are a long way off. We have to accept that all over thep pitch, we have players who are very good but not top class - man for man, we lose just about every matchup. Even if we swap, say, Osman for Defour, we are still losing at least 8 of 11 matchups against Chelsea, and debatably all 11.

However, we are already at a stage that we can beat the likes of Chelsea in these games. Not consistantly, but maybe 2 or 3 times out of 10. Let's not forget, we beat the [Poor language removed] this season, could easily have beat United at home, and should have beat Arsenal, 2 draws against Chelsea. We need a little luck to go our way, but that's all. Three years ago we'd have needed a miracle in these games, and we'd lose 6 or 7 out of 8 league games.

If I were to identify one area where we are lacking though, it's an area where we actually aren't doing anything wrong, but rather aren't even attempting, and that's actually winning the ball in midfield. At present, we are happy to stand in front of the opposition in a organised formation, hard to break down. This allowed Chelsea to dominate possession - in that heat, I'm sure we were knackered defending, which is why we had no energy to push on when we needed a goal.

Meanwhile, when we had the little spell early in the second half when we had the ball, Essien, Lampard and Mikel were sniping at us, never giving us time.

The game kind of reminded me of England vs Brazil in the 02 world cup in the heat of Japan. Brazil had the ball all the time, England kept giving it away and had to chase after it. At the end of the game, England needed a goal but had nothing left in the tank, and never even looked like scoring.

So, though I do agree than Osman and Hibbert are the weakest area of the team, I don't agree that replacing them with better versions are the best way to improve the team. That would mean playing the same way we are now, but slightly better. Far better, IMO, to find players that add a new dimension to our team (which, for all his flaws, Fellaini certainly did) - meaning a ball winner and some pace

If I were to identify one area where we are lacking though, it's an area where we actually aren't doing anything wrong, but rather aren't even attempting, and that's actually winning the ball in midfield. At present, we are happy to stand in front of the opposition in a organised formation, hard to break down. This allowed Chelsea to dominate possession - in that heat, I'm sure we were knackered defending, which is why we had no energy to push on when we needed a goal.

Meanwhile, when we had the little spell early in the second half when we had the ball, Essien, Lampard and Mikel were sniping at us, never giving us time.

The game kind of reminded me of England vs Brazil in the 02 world cup in the heat of Japan. Brazil had the ball all the time, England kept giving it away and had to chase after it. At the end of the game, England needed a goal but had nothing left in the tank, and never even looked like scoring.

Agree we need to start winning the ball in midfield and then dictating the play, use the ball, pass the ball! Make the other teams playing use chase the ball and game...

we were forced to play different to how we played chelsea a few weeks back.

what happened imo was hibbert was caught out of position , didnt track back quick enough , and even when he did get his position and tracked back right .....he got skinned.all this led to our best chances of decent play falling like a house of cards

(even my mrs , who knows nothing about football , was screaming at hibbert to move quicker and pick up his runners, at one point anelka had the ball on there right with baines and lescott in front of him , drogba was just off center dragging yobo central and malouda was just jogging unmarked into huge space on the left.....where was hibbert ? walking back from the half way line , making no effort at all to track back.god knows how chelsea didnt score. then 3 minutes later hibbert done the same again but tracked back into the 6 yard box marking nobody in particular and letting osman do his job for him, goal to chelsea , at one point he actually let malouda run at him from before the half way line and didnt even attempt a tackle untill he was 4 yards inside our own box.if he had got that wrong it would have been a red and a penalty , luckily yobo bailed him out... again)

hibbert's inability to get a grip on the game led to our defencive line being pulled apart. yobo would have to come across to cover hibbert , lescott then had to come across to cover yobo and baines had to come across to cover lescott (this is why baines couldnt get forward as much)

then osman was having to come back to offer cover for hibbert and was in truth also completely inaffective (this also kept another attacking option pinned back in our half of the pitch)

in the second half neville was told to move off center to help cover chelseas play down the right and fellaini was swapped with cahill to reinforce the center of the midfeild.this then led to neville being just slightly out of his usual position for the second.

chelsea done there homework , spotted our weak link and punished us for it.

No disgrace at all on Saturday. Everton earned their place in the final and came up short. Simple as that.

I was disappointed to see Everton recoil into a shell after the Saha shocker in the first minute. I would have loved to see Everton pile on the pressure and attack and see if they could get a quick second against a stunned Chelsea side. Alas, we shrunk into a defensive shell and any offense was mounted by long balls. Not the game that Everton showed the week before at Fulham.

This is the kind of experience Everton needs to keep moving forward. The loss Saturday will help them out in spades in the Prem next season and in Europe.

The Cup Final gave Everton a taste of what they should be eating year in and year out. All in all, great season and full of confidence for improved success next season.

It was only a matter of time mate.

I actually thought Sir Whatsisname was dead. I got a shock opening that link.

efc__1219153613_carter.jpg

He won all those trophies in the 80's I heard. Kendall just carried the kit in. You learn something new every day.

One thing I have learned repeatedly over the past few seasons is, that the club and the press can jabber on all they like, but when the time is right the transfer record gets broken, then broken, then broken again. Moyes playing possum is getting a bit stale, because it is the same chirade every summer. But todays mention of 'we don't have to sell anyone' is an indication that he knows what he wants and just might get the nod to go out and get it. again.

Status
Not open for further replies.