2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throwing yourself into everything doesnt make you a good defender. I think people gave him credit for his attitude when he came in and rightly so. But he was making mistakes last season aswell.
The bottom line is if regular errors are costing goals then you'll eventualy have to be replaced.
Some dont like it because they had already put him on a pedestal as this great defender.
The reality is he wasnt.
Its by no means done for him. But if his errors and at times headless chicken displays continue then he's more of a liabilty than anything.
This is pretty fair.

He’s been unfortunate that at a pivotal point in his development he had Daniel Farke coaching him who doesn’t seem to put too much emphasis on being defensively solid. Similar to John Stones coming through under Martinez here. You can see there’s potential but they really need schooled on discipline, where to stand, body position etc.

These probably aren’t the type of managers you want to toughen up young centre backs and develop the art of defending. Having said that, Farke and Martinez were both brave enough to give young centre backs a chance, knowing they have mistakes in them.

The irony is, the type of managers who do put an emphasis on defensive basics like Moyes Benitez and can coach improvement, don’t give young centre backs the game time to improve as they see their weaknesses as too big a risk.

It’s possible COVID is still having some effect on his game but mistakes we’re seeing in terms of positioning, not attacking the ball in the air, misjudging the flight of the ball in the air were there last season just flying under the radar while people merrily blamed Michael Keane for all defensive woes.

Ultimately I think Benitez is a good manager at the moment for coaching some basic defensive discipline into him - assuming Benitez gives him game time.

…so grateful it’s you who thinks Benitez is our saviour.
This deserves more than just a like
8513CA25-E340-4807-88A7-C6ADE93CE832.jpeg

Godfrey's game is all about pace and power, at the moment he has lost quite a bit of both, they will come back in time. His position al sense was always an issue but that can be worked on and improved.

The boy is an amazing athlete when he is fit, he is just recovering from a debilitating illness, I think we should cut him a bit of slack and see where he's at in a few weeks.

Injuries permitting it may be better to have him on the bench rather than starting. It's to his credit that he has stepped up during our injuries whe he must be all too aware he is not physically ready.

This is absolutely world class!

@BlueToff has had COVID and still isnt at 100% - this thing can damage your organs just because he's young and fit doesn't mean he's in the clear.

Now he may get back to his peak levels over time but thats months away potentially if ever.

From what I've seen of him at the moment he's red in the face, sweating and gasping for a breather 20 minutes into a match what 8 weeks or so after overcoming it?

Thats not good for a player who's main strength is his pace/power.

@BlueToff has had COVID and still isnt at 100% - this thing can damage your organs just because he's young and fit doesn't mean he's in the clear.

Now he may get back to his peak levels over time but thats months away potentially if ever.

From what I've seen of him at the moment he's red in the face, sweating and gasping for a breather 20 minutes into a match what 8 weeks or so after overcoming it?

Thats not good for a player who's main strength is his pace/power.

I think he'll get there but it's taking time.

He's not been helped by how badly the defence/team are being organised (this is on the manager), and having to be used in different positions every other week (this is on Brands).

He's in a bad run of form and as you rightly say his physical attributes - which are his best attributes - have taken a hit.

While the covid excuse could be valid for physical difficulties. I'm not sure it works for his backpass. He did the same thing on his england debut in the summer but got away with it on that occasion.
I think his first instinct is to go back or sideways - was apparent even last season.

Godfrey's game is all about pace and power, at the moment he has lost quite a bit of both, they will come back in time. His position al sense was always an issue but that can be worked on and improved.

The boy is an amazing athlete when he is fit, he is just recovering from a debilitating illness, I think we should cut him a bit of slack and see where he's at in a few weeks.

Injuries permitting it may be better to have him on the bench rather than starting. It's to his credit that he has stepped up during our injuries whe he must be all too aware he is not physically ready.
I never rated Kevin Ratcliffe as acentre half ,but he had the pace to cover mistakes,and if he was out of position.

Looks like a good old fashioned loss of confidence to me. That could've been triggered by covid but equally, it happens to most young players. It's how they get through it and bounce back that determines what they achieve - is he Brendan Galloway or John Stones? Worth also considering that he made his England debut in the summer - you'd think that would grow confidence but if he went there and felt out of his depth it could do the opposite. Plenty of players never the same after their first England cap.

Looks like a good old fashioned loss of confidence to me. That could've been triggered by covid but equally, it happens to most young players. It's how they get through it and bounce back that determines what they achieve - is he Brendan Galloway or John Stones? Worth also considering that he made his England debut in the summer - you'd think that would grow confidence but if he went there and felt out of his depth it could do the opposite. Plenty of players never the same after their first England cap.

…there was a moment in the 2nd half an opponent broke, Godfrey was 4 yards away and set off after him. There was no sign of the famous afterburners, the forward increased the gap between them as Godfrey laboured. It was a stark moment for me & one that can’t be excused by a lack of confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.