The Fortress Sports Fund/KD/Mr. Kenwright etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kings Dock was such a massive missed opportunity - BMD will still be a good stadium but feels like its come too little too late.

Throw in Kenwright turning down numerous buyers including Qatari interest during the infamous "24/7 investment search" im astonished how he wasn't chased out of town with pitchforks instead he was clapped on screen at Goodison by thousands of seals.

Its why I have no time for people blubbering about the Benitez appointment being Everton "losing its soul" you had your chance to have removed the poison from the club years ago but instead backed the bloke & turned on the Blue Union and fellow supporters.
I for one am of theopinion that much of our present frustration and problems, stems from the period from 2004 when the club was under the sole control of BK.
It is not credible for him to state that within that period, he was unable to find a suitable investor. It seems he could not find one who would allow him to remain.
As a result we became a more disgruntled fanbase through the lack of progress. When Moshiri took control, I speculate that he was aware of fan expectation and in order to deliver, rushed decisions which in hindsight have impacted upon our progress.

The appointment of Rafael Benitez is the result of these events. There had to come a time when our long term mismanagement was addressed and brought about our present position.

This is all true, but, just like there is a difference between tax evasion (bad) and tax avoidance (nice work if you can get it etc).
There's millionaire / billionaire avoidance dodgy and then theres Dodgy dodgy, where everything is legal if you don't get caught...until, that is you do, then thry throw the book at you - that dodgy...ala topshop.
Ahh I get you. You mean tory donor millionaires.

Ahh I get you. You mean tory donor millionaires.
Not necessarily, but yeah, probably...after all BPB's day job is getting people to part with their Money to fund his shows - called Angels in the trade.
But, as they say, you can't con an honest man, so if he does??

Just for the record, Gregg wanted complete and full ownership of the stadium not just 'a greater influence'
After being told that was a complete non starter he spat his dummy out and sold up
He wanted to make sure his loan was repaid, nothing more, Bill cacked himself, that's where the dummy came from.

I agree.

I don't doubt BK has made mistakes but i genuinely feel he has worked to protect the club. For a long time we were hamstrung financially yet we're still here. I'm sure buyers of football clubs are plentiful but good, competent ones are rare - as Blackburn , Cardiff, Newcastle, Swindon and Blackpool fans will lament. BK has at least protected the club and what it stands for by finding a buyer that is at least giving to the club, rather than taking and he's still here protecting the club ethos and traditions. (And if you don't care for those or don't value them then you might as well shuffle off to follow the rs or Chelsea).
His mistakes are what hamstrung the club, his decisions were egotistical and borderline despotic. It takes some doing to make Wyness look honourable but bill managed that.
His deals were all about protecting himself and his position, the Tesco/DK one especially. Recall all the bare faced lies. Goodison was going to explode by plugging one more kettle in.
He lied and lied and lied. He was remortgaging future incomes and maxing out income streams, in hock to Pip Green. The 54m gift from Tesco? Land value with planning permission. No funds, no gift, nada.
I've always said his biggest legacy is a divided fanbase, and here we are, still...

As a 16 year old boy in 2004 I remember being desperate for the FSF deal to go through so we could go on a Chelsea-lite like splurge on some aging galacticos. Little did I know it probably would have finished us as a premier league club.

His mistakes are what hamstrung the club, his decisions were egotistical and borderline despotic. It takes some doing to make Wyness look honourable but bill managed that.
His deals were all about protecting himself and his position, the Tesco/DK one especially. Recall all the bare faced lies. Goodison was going to explode by plugging one more kettle in.
He lied and lied and lied. He was remortgaging future incomes and maxing out income streams, in hock to Pip Green. The 54m gift from Tesco? Land value with planning permission. No funds, no gift, nada.
I've always said his biggest legacy is a divided fanbase, and here we are, still...
Don't get me wrong, I'm not his fan as such. I'm just saying we could be on a far, far worse position, as football inevitably transitioned from bring a poor man's pastime of being a commodity for sky's wealth collection and an investment vehicle for the already greedily wealthy. When he took over we were skint. We're still here and he's found a decent looking owner that at least has us stuttering upwards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not his fan as such. I'm just saying we could be on a far, far worse position, as football inevitably transitioned from bring a poor man's pastime of being a commodity for sky's wealth collection and an investment vehicle for the already greedily wealthy. When he took over we were skint. We're still here and he's found a decent looking owner that at least has us stuttering upwards.
I am grateful we're still here but the truth is, it was down to luck than judgement.
There was probably about 9/10 investors, as kosher as possible, that looked into us in some depth, some were highly ambitious, Mansour, QIA, and some overly ambitious, Jain and the Chinese group I've forgotten the name of, and a good few more. The common denominator was the stumbling block of bill, mainly. LCC bent over backwards to accomodate Everton and DK threw that back in their face, it took many years to get them as supportive which lead to BMD.
Bill didn't lead us like Moses, he was more like blind Pugh, stumbling with luck, and as much as we rue our bad fortune I reckon it's because Bill used it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.