The Fortress Sports Fund/KD/Mr. Kenwright etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Al Jazeera (they don't only report on terror cells) have just released an exposé on Mr. Christopher Samuelson.

The older posters may remember he was wheeled out during our 2004 AGM as the brains behind the 'Fortress Sports Fund' and that they would provide the 30m 'ringfenced' money that would have triggered all of the grants to fund Kings Dock. Fortress had Russian money behind it, and the son of the billionaire had "an encyclopedic knowledge of football." In short, our worries were over.

Our Chairman (the greatest living Evertonian) said Samuelson was also an Evertonian. This sham was exposed when during the questions from then shareholders Samuelson was asked who scored the winner in the 66 cup final. Some mealy-mouthed excuse was muttered and he spent the rest of the evening nervously eyeing the room hoping to avoid any further questions.

Within weeks Paul and Anita Gregg had sold their shares (they had offered to fund the 30m in exchange for greater influence as well as full control of non-football activities at KD.) and Mr. Kenwright tightened his grip on his beloved Everton.

Of course, no money showed up.

We lost the KD site.

We remained stagnant.

But hey, a blue was in control.

Having watched the Al Jazeera documentary, I'd wager Kenwright only saw Samuelson as a White Knight arriving just in time to save him from relinquishing some control of the club. He was desperate and this man offered him hope.

It doesn't mean Kenwright back then was a bad man, just a completely vain dope pinning his hopes on whoever walked through the door. It's no surprise he was allegedly taken in by the student in a Manchester bedsit before Moshiri arrived.

What happened in subsequent years, the lies over Kirkby meant that (to me at least) he was actually a bad man.

If you have just over an hour, it's an interesting watch. Easy to see why so many EFL clubs are in dire straights when the league can get hoodwinked and basically allow shell corps in as owners.

Quite a few Everton connections appear. Gregg, Wyness, the Russian Father and Son. (The same Father and Son team took over Reading with Samuelson, left them a year later in dire straits)

If you can't be bothered with it all, the Everton section is about halfway through, but without watching the whole thing it's a bit of a 'so what?`

Fairplay for posting it.
But it comes down to what many know and equally, many either don't or won't believe

Bill Kenwright in...consorted with (financially) dodgy people - Shocker.

Why imagine anything? Why do that to.yourself?
Imagine getting Moshiri
Imagine getting Fat Sam, Silva, Rafael.
Imagine getting Marcel Brands
Imagine panic buying Bolasi
Imagine Iwobi
Imagine mid table mediocrity
Imagine European football being a thing of the past....

did anyone else read that in a trainspotting monologue voice ?

Why imagine anything? Why do that to.yourself?
Imagine getting Moshiri
Imagine getting Fat Sam, Silva, Rafael.
Imagine getting Marcel Brands
Imagine panic buying Bolasi
Imagine Iwobi
Imagine mid table mediocrity
Imagine European football being a thing of the past....

Imagine all of the above having moved out of Liverpool and into a small town on the periphery of Merseyside. I'm not convinced that Moshiri would have bought a Kirkby based club tho tbh.

Fair enough, I appreciate that it didn't happen. But the Kirkby debacle wasn't some short-lived transfer speculation that didn't come off. There was a concerted effort to force the move to Kirkby over several years, and would have been the most disasterous thing to happen in the club's entire history.

If you're discussing Kenwright's ownership at Everton, the Kirkby debacle is going to be mentioned.

Imagine all of the above having moved out of Liverpool and into a small town on the periphery of Merseyside. I'm not convinced that Moshiri would have bought a Kirkby based club tho tbh.

Fair enough, I appreciate that it didn't happen. But the Kirkby debacle wasn't some short-lived transfer speculation that didn't come off. There was a concerted effort to force the move to Kirkby over several years, and would have been the most disasterous thing to happen in club's entire history. If you're discussing Kenwright's ownership at Everton, the Kirkby debacle is going to be mentioned.
Why is anyone talking about the past though this week or all weeks? Are we currently that bad we have to drag up the past to deflect away from it?

Why is anyone talking about the past though this week or all weeks? Are we currently that bad we have to drag up the past to deflect away from it?

It stems from the recently released documentary referred to in the OP. I haven't watched it yet, but it sounds like this Samuelson feller was a complete chancer and a possible fraudster. It relates to Everton because Bill brought him to our front door, so to speak.

It stems from the recently released documentary referred to in the OP. I haven't watched it yet, but it sounds like this Samuelson feller was a complete chancer and a possible fraudster. It relates to Everton because Bill brought him to our front door, so to speak.
Right i see, football is a very murky world these days and a magnet for naughty greedy people

I always remember the story about how BK nearly sold us to a bloke in a Manchester bedsit - except he actually found out thats who he was, and put a stop it.

Yet even now, some people refer to him as the man who nearly sold us to some Manc in a bedsit.

There's a lot that Kenwright did wrong, however some of the accusations levelled at him have gone too far.
I agree.

I don't doubt BK has made mistakes but i genuinely feel he has worked to protect the club. For a long time we were hamstrung financially yet we're still here. I'm sure buyers of football clubs are plentiful but good, competent ones are rare - as Blackburn , Cardiff, Newcastle, Swindon and Blackpool fans will lament. BK has at least protected the club and what it stands for by finding a buyer that is at least giving to the club, rather than taking and he's still here protecting the club ethos and traditions. (And if you don't care for those or don't value them then you might as well shuffle off to follow the rs or Chelsea).

No. What it is is some people are dying inside that the club is finally moving forward on the stadium project, so soon they'll have little else (insert mahoosive lol emoji) to moan about so they find old battles they once fought, and maybe achieved some sort of moral victory over, and try to relive past glories.
Best ignored in the main as like Bill's time as owner, it's all a long time ago and best forgotten

...and just as quickly ushered back out of it once his background checks never met his claims if I recall correctly

Fairplay for posting it.
But it comes down to what many know and equally, many either don't or won't believe

Bill Kenwright in...consorted with (financially) dodgy people - Shocker.
If you think about it- are any millionaires not dodgy? I mean, its a status that follows traits such as acquisition, self, greed, exploitation, buying low selling high. I mean, I'd rather trust my collection of cakes with a skinny bloke rather than a fat bar-steward .

There's lots of stuff I could call him out for, but the Kirkby farce cast a long dark shadow over our club and divided the fans. This is a well known video but summed up the BK era for me. Desperate to move us to that cowshed in Kirkby, he managed to keep a straight face whilst telling out and out lies live on tv.

14 years down the line Goodison still hasn't lost it's safety certificate and we are still there.

If you think about it- are any millionaires not dodgy? I mean, its a status that follows traits such as acquisition, self, greed, exploitation, buying low selling high. I mean, I'd rather trust my collection of cakes with a skinny bloke rather than a fat bar-steward .
This is all true, but, just like there is a difference between tax evasion (bad) and tax avoidance (nice work if you can get it etc).
There's millionaire / billionaire avoidance dodgy and then theres Dodgy dodgy, where everything is legal if you don't get caught...until, that is you do, then thry throw the book at you - that dodgy...ala topshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.