Not open for further replies.
Gazza

Ginola

Blomquist

Mark Hughes

E’too

Rooney

Delph

The only unqualified success with one of these “retirement home” players this century that I can think of is Gareth Barry.

There are reasons other than just age as to why these transfers didn't work out (though some will be tied to it).

Gascoigne and Hughes were miles past his best when he came here and Gazza had some major issues, Ginola lost any pace he had which is a problem for a winger like him. Delph's main issue is he is never fit, he never has been and the older he gets the worse it will get. Rooney was another who was brilliant in the past because he had that dynamic quality which he lost as he had been playing non-stop since he was 16. Blomqvist and Eto'o were not even that bad really. Blomqvist (who also had major injury issues) was OK until Moyes came and fell out with him and Eto'o did well for the short time he was here.

Then you have Gough and Barry, players who never relied on pace even in their prime (or adapted to losing it) who were model pros who very rarely got injured. Intelligent footballers, it's why the likes of Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo and even a James Milner can continue to play at a high level.

You can also make room for a seasoned pro but they have to be of the right make up to mitigate any risks involved.

He scored 11 in about 42 games and didn’t score from mid-December onwards, he was complete crap. Niasse scored more open play goals in about a third of the minutes.

Point is he was still our top scorer after we spent £300million. So he wasn't really the problem.

Very. Took some pens and scored a goal from the halfway line.

Brilliant goal obviously but you cant rely on that every week. A rare moment of brilliance can cloud some peoples judgement even if the rest of what they do is crap.

I do think he showed enough that season to suggest he could have been a decent signing if we as a team at the time:

1) hadn’t been utter shabite
2) hadn’t needed to rely on him to be playing pretty much every game.

That said…. That goal was boss. I was sat in the Gwladys, and you knew it was in the instant he hit it. Unreal technique.

Hilarious after they got rid of Suarez because he was too old.

Kun is a year younger but coming in on a free, he will have to accept lower wages than what Luis was earning but agree the decision to dump him made no fiscal/sporting logic

Nothing is official but I am guessing it'll be announced around the CL Final, late May. Depay would be the smarter choice as he can play anywhere in the attacking front 3 but this is more about keeping Messi happy (coupled with one major signing - Neymar/Haaland)

Status
Not open for further replies.