2020/21 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom has looked the real player many of could see. He was always ready to make a bad mistake but he has grown up and has started to believe in his own ability. An imposing last few games, really hope he carries this on now. Well done Tom !!

Quietly solid. Never a 6 like Allan, who is everywhere exploding opponents like a good 6 should, but serviceable in the role.
Not sure you do want that from a 6 though. With your deepest midfielder you want someone who’ll screen the back 4 rather than someone who’ll charge forward pressing and leaving big gaps in behind... one of the downsides of us playing Allan there is that he wants to go out and press (which leaves gaps) so he’s not really allowed to play his own game, but Davies as the 6 and Allan & Doucoure just in front who can press all day can be a very, very good midfield 3.

I think it's helping him massively having a consistent position as well, can't help playing here there and everywhere. He's took this new deep position well, long may it continue.
He played for England U20s/21 in a deeper position and did very well in a quiet , consistent way , while more ” expressive” midfielders grabbed the headlines. In the games that he doesn’t start I think he’ll remain the one Carlo brings off the bench to shore up midfield and hold a winning position, as opposed to the one sent on to win the game with an outrageous goal / assist.

Not sure you do want that from a 6 though. With your deepest midfielder you want someone who’ll screen the back 4 rather than someone who’ll charge forward pressing and leaving big gaps in behind... one of the downsides of us playing Allan there is that he wants to go out and press (which leaves gaps) so he’s not really allowed to play his own game, but Davies as the 6 and Allan & Doucoure just in front who can press all day can be a very, very good midfield 3.

The net effect of screening the back four properly is that it seems as if the defender appears by magic wherever the ball is and delivers a crushing, but legal ball-winning tackle. Then he passes it off and moves to a position where he can redistribute the ball if needed.

The issue with playing Allan further forward is that you'd prefer more creativity up there. Unfortunately, it seems like this is going to be a squad that defends all day in the middle of the park and gets its creativity from the flanks. If we can get a proper RB in, I think we can get away with essentially playing three defensive mids.

Davies doesn't have the nastiness of the best 6's and never will. If he can improve his first touch and distribution, that's enough for the position. All we strictly speaking need is someone that can be the heartbeat so the ball doesn't have to reset all the time at the CBs or, God help us, the goalkeeper in possession.

The net effect of screening the back four properly is that it seems as if the defender appears by magic wherever the ball is and delivers a crushing, but legal ball-winning tackle. Then he passes it off and moves to a position where he can redistribute the ball if needed.

The issue with playing Allan further forward is that you'd prefer more creativity up there. Unfortunately, it seems like this is going to be a squad that defends all day in the middle of the park and gets its creativity from the flanks. If we can get a proper RB in, I think we can get away with essentially playing three defensive mids.

Davies doesn't have the nastiness of the best 6's and never will. If he can improve his first touch and distribution, that's enough for the position. All we strictly speaking need is someone that can be the heartbeat so the ball doesn't have to reset all the time at the CBs or, God help us, the goalkeeper in possession.
martin u appear to be chatting undiluted ass sweat my friend please cease.

Status
Not open for further replies.