Match Thread Everton v Leeds United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
But they looked balanced and all knew their roles which we didn't. 352 didn't suit us but what do you do if he doesn't want to play the back up full backs. I guess we have to hope Coleman is back soon because we may have been a bit imbalanced but we looked better in a 433.
This is why CA needs to be questioned, we didnt have the players to play 5-4-1.....

5-4-1 at home BTW, even BFS didnt stoop that low!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and defensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No bot bad. A bit of a smash and grab, and very fortunate with a bizarre decision to rule out 2 goals for us, 1 of which looked like it was from your man. We missed 10+ clear chances and in the end were punished as a result with a pot shot. It happens.

As I said the other day, your workmanlike, put opponents under pressure, and some sides (particularly ones lackinf their first choice 3/4 best fullbacks) will succomb. We did today.

Still a bit miffed how VARintervenes to rule out a goal off a defender for offside, which like many other decisions went against us today and turn the game. But ultimately only ourselves to blame, we cut you open time and again and weren't clinical.

They were the better side, one goal win for them about right. No point trying to convince yourself we deserved more.

And gone backwards ever since.....

Only beat WBA cos they had a man sent off, they took the lead and equalised if I remember correctly.
Beat Palace with a dodgy as penalty

Lost to a hard working Southampton team but no real quality
Beaten by a poor Newcastle team
Beaten by a poor Man Utd team
Lucky to get a win against Fulham who missed a pen
And we were beaten by a hard working Leeds team, again no real quality in that side, majority have been Championship players for their whole careers

So...we were lucky in those 4 wins?

He's exactly what we bought from Watford. Good athlete, can cover the ground to press and close spaces, on occasion he can make a dribble or score a goal that has an impact, but he isn't a high level passer or a high level ball winner and that kind of leaves you light in midfield.
Two against three in most games leaves you light. Again the riddle of Everton right now is how do we accommodate James our best creator and still be solid when he will never offer defensive responsibility.

What's James record for losses in a season? Must be getting near to that total certainly since he's been in Europe.

I'm beginning to suspect that one of our problems is James. He's not looked fit since he was injured and his whole 90 minutes contribution is based around a few fancy passes and 'clever' attempts on goal That is not enough in the Prem. I'm beginning to smell another Samuel E'to here. At least worth Bernard(although he couldn't get into the game today) you get a defensive shift and he is always trying. James does 'something' then has a blow for 15 minutes. Not enough. I hope its down to fitness and not attitude. Gomes, who I'm not overly happy with, was more visible today thasn James in the whole game. You can't carry someone bacause 'the could do something brilliant any time' its simply not enough.. Very weird that two of the worst defences in the league produced only one goal.Allan was superb, but he usually is despite whats happenning around him, but I gave MOM to Pickford, who saved us from conceding at least 5.

Could have easily been 5-4, 4-5, 4-4. They nicked it and were the better team but we were in it for the whole game, albeit never in control. Richy was utter poo and our 'wing backs' struggled big time. Allan was great to watch did not deserve to be on losing side.

My thoughts also. One massive positive was Allan, most definetely MOTM

Didnt really fancy us today , said it all week to my mates , saying that would fancy us agaist anyone at the moment its months since we have played more than the odd decent half.
Not fancied us for weeks and weeks. Doesn’t matter who we’re playing. Can’t keep conceding goals every single week and think everything is going to be OK.

I agree he is very slow to react and the selection was questionable I felt like it was a matter of time before they scored today because we never had a grip of midfield and our wingbacks were being picked off. But we also have to admit our squad is frighteningly thin he doesn't seem to trust either backup full back.

....I think the word ‘trust’ is particularly appropriate to Ancelotti. He clearly didn’t ‘trust’ Kean and I have to now assume the same with Gordon and Nkounkou.

He plays it safe trying to get the best out of the ones he trusts. Problem is, tinkering with positions means square pegs in round holes.

The club decided to keep Kenny but the manager prefers other options when Coleman is injured. Digne is a massive blow because he forms such a partnership with Rodriguez, but we don’t play an alternative attacking LB in Nkounkou.

Trust is becoming Ancelotti’s undoing.

Status
Not open for further replies.