2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s what Crouchy was saying on MOTD2 last night:

"I’ve played that lone striker role myself and I think you need pace and runners around you but I don’t think he really got that,"

"He missed Richarlison and James Rodriguez. His hold-up play was very good. With Gomes and Sigurdsson, they want everything in front of them, they don’t want to make that run in behind.

"Calvert-Lewin held it up very well and he played well but I didn’t feel like he had enough support. Most of the afternoon he was fighting a lost cause. Gomes and Sigurdsson are good players but they like to play behind you whilst Richarlison likes to stretch and get in behind.

"Later on in the game they managed to flood a few players forward and that’s when they got players into the box and Calvert-Lewin got his goal.

"What a magnificent start to the season he’s had, I think he’s been first class but starved a bit of service."

So yes, you can criticise DCL but to do so without acknowledging the above and accepting it will limit his involvement and effectiveness is ridiculous and people will rightly point that out.

It’s a shame an ex red [Poor language removed] can deliver a more balanced and objectively fair assessment in support of one of our players that some “fans” who’ve has their little egos dented.

I’m not actually knocking him. I just don’t think he’s played well the last 2 games but that’s my opinion.

he seems to score when gifted a golden opportunity, which is fine a goal is a goal but he offers very little else imo.
In my opinion he offers loads more. His hold up play with his back to goal is outstanding, so is his one touch lay off play, if anyone can be bothered to run on past him.
I've always rated DCL as a centre forward I just didn't think he would get enough goals for our level. Shows what I know. He scores for fun these days.

If we can get two or three players into the box, it's not just that we have more players in goalscoring positions. It's equally that it makes it harder for defenders to stop Dom. He's been exceptionally good this season, and yesterday might actually be the most impressed I've been with him. He got zero support whatsoever but held it up well, was running himself into the ground, had good movement, and still found the net.

That was a proper centre forward performance in a pathetic team performance.

Play to his flipping strengths!!!

How? Yes it could have come earlier. But by scoring it gave us half a chance of us getting another.

if he’d scored in the 50th min would it still have been pointless if the result was still 2-1?

It's a joke because people used to/still judge Lukaku like this by saying he scores pointless goals

If we can get two or three players into the box, it's not just that we have more players in goalscoring positions. It's equally that it makes it harder for defenders to stop Dom. He's been exceptionally good this season, and yesterday might actually be the most impressed I've been with him. He got zero support whatsoever but held it up well, was running himself into the ground, had good movement, and still found the net.

That was a proper centre forward performance in a pathetic team performance.

Play to his flipping strengths!!!
He literally put that baby face to the sword and almost had his nose rearranged, he layed the ball off to Gylfi, who plays in another time dimension thus whoppered the shot...

They can't all be tap ins Dom, sometimes you have to give us a little bit back.
You’re in world class form at the moment. Provided the assist you parrot. And his hold play in the last two games, when completely isolated has been terrific. You’re really weird.

You’re in world class form at the moment. Provided the assist you parrot. And his hold play in the last two games, when completely isolated has been terrific. You’re really weird.
I think the point is that Everton are missing that kind of striker. Calvert lewin has come on Massively in the last year, but is a poacher. We need a striker who can makes things happen on their own. Richarlison could be the player, but that means we still need a sides attacking player. Maybe zaha was the answer after all?

I think the point is that Everton are missing that kind of striker. Calvert lewin has come on Massively in the last year, but is a poacher. We need a striker who can makes things happen on their own. Richarlison could be the player, but that means we still need a sides attacking player. Maybe zaha was the answer after all?

He's a very angry superfan mate - I haven't taken it to heart. You are of course completely right, the core problem is that Dom is now so wedded to staying in the box that we aren't getting anything else from him at the moment. A mistimed header that Bernard turned into a magical goal really rather makes the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.