2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes with a dynamic midfield, but how do we miss players in the lower league with his quality is still a mystery.....

Well, every team did.

He had a fantastic season with Brentford last year because he was moved to be a striker rather than a winger. They'd previously had Maupay who was bought by Brighton in 2019.

So Villa have had to pay £33m for him.

We also scooped DCL from the lower leagues and clearly saw some talent there, even if it needed nurturing. Through a lot of hard graft he's become one of the top players in the league in his position.

We need both really. Again, it's not a criticism of DCL at all but you'll only get so far with a striker who can only put away one touch finishes. It's not about being a complete striker, but the requirement to turn half chances into goals is a pretty key one if you want to be successful.
We loaned one out in Keen & never bought cover - kept Tuson who now has a great record 2 weeks on the run in two brief spells booked twice.....

Well, every team did.

He had a fantastic season with Brentford last year because he was moved to be a striker rather than a winger. They'd previously had Maupay who was bought by Brighton in 2019.

So Villa have had to pay £33m for him.

We also scooped DCL from the lower leagues and clearly saw some talent there, even if it needed nurturing. Through a lot of hard graft he's become one of the top players in the league in his position.
Its dangerous not to replace keen if DCL gets injured?

Erm, yes it is dangerous. I totally agree.

I just thought we were talking about Watkins, who had already moved to Villa for £33m before we sent Kean to PSG. :)
I think it was a case of we could not offload our deadwood which is like a Forest.....to get the funds.... Keen scoring for fun now too....doh ....
One more booking for Tuson he's banned

Last edited:

I’d take a player banging them in at Championship level ahead of someone scoring a few in the Turkish league. Plenty of examples out there.

The lad is doing well, to his full credit..

DCL tops everyone in Premier League scoring stat​

0_GettyImages-1280740792.jpg

With eight goals so far this season, Dominic Calvert-Lewin is currently in a four-way tie at the top of the Premier League scoring charts.

However, the Everton striker currently stands alone at the summit of a particular scoring stat in English football's top flight.

An article in The Boot Room explains:

The stats, per FBref, prove he is playing as one of the finest forwards in the Premier League right now.
The first stat we’re looking at is NPxG. It’s pretty simple, in truth – it’s the amount of expected goals for a player without counting players. Penalties skew the stat, after all, greatly increasing a player’s expected goals simply by stepping up.
So taking them out of the equation, Calvert-Lewin tops every other player in the league. His chances should have been worth 5.1 goals this season – more than anyone.
This is no obscure stat, either, as you really can use it to judge the league’s most productive forwards. Just look at the rest of the top ten:
Patrick Bamford, Harry Kane, Sadio Mane, Ollie Watkins, Son Heung-Min, Callum Wilson, Mohamed Salah, Jamie Vardy and Michail Antonio.
The top ten is a pretty fair reflection of this season’s best forwards, then. And again, Calvert-Lewin tops them all. He’s the striker, above all others, getting in the best scoring positions this season.
The truly encouraging thing for Everton, though, is that Calvert-Lewin isn’t just getting in great positions – he’s scoring from them. He should only be on five goals but he’s scored eight.

That three-goal difference is the second-best in the league, behind only Son. It goes some way to showing how Calvert-Lewin is also finishing at a high level, too.

Yes with a dynamic midfield, but how do we miss players in the lower league with his quality is still a mystery.....

I don't think we "missed" him we just had to buy a whole new midfield. We can't buy everyone.

He went for 28M too so it's not like he was a sneaky unknown lower league signing.

I don't think we "missed" him we just had to buy a whole new midfield. We can't buy everyone.

He went for 28M too so it's not like he was a sneaky unknown lower league signing.
Price up just digs fee plus wages plus Tuson as our back up striker etc etc it's not the current managers fault but surely the under 23 lads can at least run .......

Status
Not open for further replies.