Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
We sign loads of players I've never seen kick a ball. Mina, Kean etc but with Iwobi, I saw him play loads at Arsenal and I just see him as exactly the same as I saw him at Arsenal. Looks great in moments, but for me, he lacks the composure to be a very top player, and he has even less time/opportunity here.

If you don't score goals at Arsenal, it seems very odd to me to expect (or demand at his press conference...) him to start scoring at Everton.

I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong next season but the crux of it for me is Iwobi is never going to threaten to score double figures in a Premier League season and for me, you don't spend £35-£40m on a winger/behind the striker unless they're scoring goals or making assists. Brands saw goals and assists in his game, I don't and to be fair to Silva, he seemingly didn't hence the "He needs to score some goals" after signing him.
It did seem to be a that'll do signing we hadn't been linked with him much from recollection. His stats don't stack up as a ten. And if Silva wanted a ten why didn't he play him there more than once the whole signing was odd. And for over thirty million was obscene...

• Juventus. Worked under legendary transfer guru, Luciano Moggi.
  • Milan. Worked with one of the most domineering and invasive executives of all time in Silvio Berlusconi, who was very involved if not dominated transfer policy (and everything else).
  • Chelsea. Worked under Roman Abramovich / Frank Amesen as a combo who were primarily responsible for transfer strategy, which included strange Russian player purchases (Yuri Zhirkov) and poor fits (Fernando Torres) with bad market returns.
  • Real Madrid. Worked under domineering Florentino Perez, who likely bought Gareth Bale to set the transfer record at the time amongst other players and seemed to automatically fire managers every year or so.
  • Bayern Munich. Worked under Uli Hoeneß who was a club legend, uber traditional, and was very active – to the extent that he pushed an assistant coach on Ancelotti in Sagnol that might have contributed to him “losing the dressing room”.
  • Napoli. Worked under Aurelio De Laurentis who didn’t seem to lack ego and was heavily involved in club operations. Ancelotti’s lack of support for the De Laurentis imposed November bootcamp probably contributed more to his removal than his team’s performances.
Domineering owner=DoF ?

That's where I disagree. I don't want the belabor this any more but I think he is genuinely good at putting pressure on when we press high. Under Carlo we aren't doing that so it doesn't really matter.

Also on the other part I still don't see what relevance playing football would have to the top levels. I mean I played basketball my whole life but no one has ever dunked in a game I've played so I don't think I'm more or less qualified than someone who just watches and reads about the NBA to discuss that level of the sport.

Because people who have played a sport invariably see it differently to people who just watch it on TV.

Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion not trying to deny you that

Because people who have played a sport invariably see it differently to people who just watch it on TV.

Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion not trying to deny you that
This is the argument that gets you tons of ex-footballers on TV trying to explain things and having at least half of them be terrible at it. It's also the argument that gets a lot of coaches to be top level ex-players when they also aren't always made for that. I get that experience means something but analyzing the game while being in it and while being at an a thousand foot level are not the same to me.

But as you said everyone can see it different.

This is the argument that gets you tons of ex-footballers on TV trying to explain things and having at least half of them be terrible at it. It's also the argument that gets a lot of coaches to be top level ex-players when they also aren't always made for that. I get that experience means something but analyzing the game while being in it and while being at an a thousand foot level are not the same to me.

But as you said everyone can see it different.

This is exactly the point I'm making tho....they are not the same.

If you have never played football then you will miss or mis-understand some of the nuances that you would appreciate more if you had been that player on the pitch.

I could read a load about the NBA, and have a good statistical and theoretical understanding of it from watching....but I've never played basketball so undoubtedly there would be things that I wouldn't completely understand

If you have never played football then you will miss or mis-understand some of the nuances that you would appreciate more if you had been that player on the pitch.

I could read a load about the NBA, and have a good statistical and theoretical understanding of it from watching....but I've never played basketball so undoubtedly there would be things that I wouldn't completely understand
I think you've misunderstood me a bit but it is fine. I just don't think the relationship between playing and analyzing is as strong as people seem to want to make it. There are very smart footballing minds who never had the ability to play at anything approaching the level that would provide them the credibility to be heard. And that goes for all sports which is a bit of a shame.

Rose has 1yr left on his contract and has just turned 30. Supposedly available for £5mill.

I think he would be a great cheap option as backup for Digne for a year or two until Nkounkou is ready.

Pretty much everybody has "played" football though.

Status
Not open for further replies.