Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Iwobi’s been written off far to easily and I expect he’ll play a lot next season as I think Carlo quite likes him.

He’s had a difficult first season but I reckon he’ll go on to be a very good player IMO.

Whether that’s here or not, I’m not sure. Hopefully it’s here but next season is really big for him personally. He needs to make the step up from a talented lad with potential to someone who’s consistently producing at a high level. Surrounding him with a more workman like and dominant midfield should help.

He’s certainly got a lot of the attributes required to be a very good premier league player.

Iwobi is a 10. A winger that cuts inside from the left. And possibly an 8 in 4-3-3.

Silva kept using Gylfi as number 10. But the best performance we have seen in that position this season was Iwobi against West Ham.

Everyone but Ancelotti knew that Iwobi would not do well as a right midfielder that had to stay wide. One match Iwobi was allowed to cut inside in the second half and he did very well. Next match he was back wide again told to defend and play crosses.

When Walcott came back and looked decent, Ancelotti changed formation to 4-2-3-1 to play to his strengths. You cannot compare that to Iwobi being told to spend half the match in full back position.
I do get what you're saying however it seems like you're prepared to skirt over the fact he's massively inconsistent.

Norwich we played 442 and he played on the right. I thought he was excellent.

He then followed it up with another spate of bang average performances.

So if he can only play the positions you suggest, why did he do so well against Norwich in the position you say he can't play.

And just in case the answer is "it was Norwich", loads of our other players were crap Vs Norwich.

I think Iwobi is a decent player but I don't see where he consistently gets a place, regardless of his positional preferences and regardless of what system we play. Wherever it's been this season, he hasn't played well enough consistently enough.

I see. Given that is your view, I'm surprised you disagree with my view that "Iwobi makes me worry about Brands"

I mean, Brands and Silva signed him primarily for his versatility and both were very clear they saw him as a winger. Quotes below.

Brands: "In our eyes, a boy that can play in different positions. Play from the side, also behind the striker. He's 23-years-old, already quite experienced and the most important thing: he has goals and assists in his game".

Silva: "The position we see him in is clear, coming from the left," said Silva. "He can also play behind the striker really well. He can even play on the right.

"He has goals and assists in his game" - He never has, IMO. And certainly not enough to warrant the money we spent at the last second of the window.
The issue I have with Iwobi is for whatever reason form, confidence, injuries or playing in the wrong position he has been disappointing. He looks awkward when he is running with and without the ball compared to his best years at Arsenal he looks cumbersome and his body shape looks top heavy like he has baulked up his strength but its affected his pace and ability to skip away from defenders. As for bringing goals and assists we haven't seen any of it bar a couple of flashes, that's poor for 30m. Judging a player playing for a team like Arsenal who often dominate the ball and have plenty of chances is possibly not representative of what he is capable of in a team where the responsibility is on him much more to create and score. He was a fall back option clearly a very expensive one.

I do get what you're saying however it seems like you're prepared to skirt over the fact he's massively inconsistent.

So if he can only play the positions you suggest, why did he do so well against Norwich in the position you say he can't play.

And just in case the answer is "it was Norwich", loads of our other players were crap Vs Norwich.

I think Iwobi is a decent player but I don't see where he consistently gets a place, regardless of his positional preferences and regardless of what system we play. Wherever it's been this season, he hasn't played well enough consistently enough.
Wasn’t the Norwich game were he moved a lot more centrally off the right and played well in the second half, he was crap first half were he kept position more

What don't you agree with? Iwobi making me worry about Brands, or that he was a terrible panic buy?

And to be honest I'm sick of the "out of position" shouts for Iwobi.

What IS his position then? I mean, it's not like we're blessed in midfield is it?
Blatantly not as a right mid. Playing in a 442 asks a lot of your wide players, especially when you’re as dysfunctional and vulnerable in the middle as we are. I think he’s best in the number 10 role, or as an 8 in a midfield three but more likely to get time on the left cutting inside with us.

He’s underperformed this season no doubt, but it’s not as if he’s incapable of more. He broke into the Arsenal side as a 19 year old and had a goal+assist average of 0.43 per 90 over his 4 seasons there which is impressive, especially considering he wasn’t on set pieces.

I don’t think he should be written off yet, I still think he can turn out to be a good signing.

The issue I have with Iwobi is for whatever reason form, confidence, injuries or playing in the wrong position. He looks awkward when he is running with and without the ball compared to his best years at Arsenal he looks cumbersome and his body shape looks top heavy like he has baulked up his strength but its affected his pace and ability to skip away from defenders. As for bringing goals and assists we haven't seen any of it bar a couple of flashes, that's poor for 30m. Judging a player playing for a team like Arsenal who often dominate the ball and have plenty of chances is possibly not representative of what he is capable of in a team where the responsibility is on him much more to create and score. He was a fall back option clearly a very expensive one.

We sign loads of players I've never seen kick a ball. Mina, Kean etc but with Iwobi, I saw him play loads at Arsenal and I just see him as exactly the same as I saw him at Arsenal. Looks great in moments, but for me, he lacks the composure to be a very top player, and he has even less time/opportunity here.

If you don't score goals at Arsenal, it seems very odd to me to expect (or demand at his press conference...) him to start scoring at Everton.

I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong next season but the crux of it for me is Iwobi is never going to threaten to score double figures in a Premier League season and for me, you don't spend £35-£40m on a winger/behind the striker unless they're scoring goals or making assists. Brands saw goals and assists in his game, I don't and to be fair to Silva, he seemingly didn't hence the "He needs to score some goals" after signing him.

Agree with all of this. I’d just add that if he had a quick right back behind him who could distribute the ball effectively and two strong midfielders with good passing ranges in the middle of the park I think his limitations would be less obvious and there’s probably be some games he’d look just ok rather than utterly terrible. He’s receiving the ball in far too many of the wrong areas under too much pressure whereas at Arsenal there’d be some games at the Emirates it would be attack v defence and he’d have multiple opportunities to attack. He’s lucky if he gets one or two opportunities to really be in the positions he wants to be in a half recently.

Just on Iwobi...

That West Ham game earlier in the season sticks out as one of his better performances and that was when he was occupying Sigurdsson's position on the pitch. He had Walcott to the right, Bernard to the left, Gomes behind, and Richarlison ahead of him. Linked up well with all four and really should've scored himself when he was through one-on-one with the keeper. His positional awareness that day was encouraging.

4a9y2s.jpg

Yeah time will tell (if it actually happens of course!)

I'll come back to you when he is lifting his third champions league trophy on the bounce as our captain and club legend...
Just on Iwobi...

That West Ham game earlier in the season sticks out as one of his better performances and that was when he was occupying Sigurdsson's position on the pitch. He had Walcott to the right, Bernard to the left, Gomes behind, and Richarlison ahead of him. Linked up well with all four and really should've scored himself when he was through one-on-one with the keeper. His positional awareness that day was encouraging.

He’s been crap to say the least but I still have hope with him and still think he will feature heavily next season.

I would sell Iwobi if a decent offer came in for him. Don’t think he’ll ever be a top quality player. Wrong sort of signing for us. We need to find Richarlison type players who are on the up. Iwobi was a prospect who failed at Arsenal.

What don't you agree with? Iwobi making me worry about Brands, or that he was a terrible panic buy?

And to be honest I'm sick of the "out of position" shouts for Iwobi.

What IS his position then? I mean, it's not like we're blessed in midfield is it?

I've shared what Everton's manager (and presumably, DoF) thought;

[Edit] I've found what Brands thought: "In our eyes, a boy that can play in different positions. Play from the side, also behind the striker. He's 23-years-old, already quite experienced and the most important thing: he has goals and assists in his game".

Iwobi and his 1 goal, 0 assists and 2 chances created been an atrocious signing - trying to pin Iwobi on Moshiri rather than the clubs Director of Football seems odd to me.

I think Ancelotti has his card marked. He'd be the first dragged off, and he couldn't get Walcott back in quick enough.

I DO think he'd be better as a 10 (assuming we play 4-5-1/4-3-3) and I DO hope he gets a chance there and comes good, but I just can't see it in all honesty.

Other than DCL and Richy, none of our attacking players have covered themselves in any glory at all this year but at least we can occasionally see those raw glimpses of talent from Kean and Gordon; hard to recall a time when Iwobi had me at the edge of my seat. I think he is similar to Klaasen in that he has technical gifts but he just sees everything unfold far too slowly for him to have a major impact on any sort of consistent basis.

I see a move to a middling Bundesliga club in his future, too.

Good players are good players. Richarlison looks a good player wherever he is.
Grealish looks like Villa’s best player wherever he is.

Iwobi (just like McFadden and Bilyaletdinov) won’t suddenly be a great player at number 10

Status
Not open for further replies.