Which Merseyside district produces most Everton players;

Status
Not open for further replies.
...good shout. I need to update the summary. Yes, Mike Newell was a very good cricketer (I have it in mind he was a wicketkeeper). Lots of footballers from that side of the city played for Sefton or Liverpool CC, I remember a few of the Quarry Bank footy team played Liverpool League cricket.

For some reason, I have it in my head that Mike Newell was Alan Shearer’s paper boy when Shearer lived in Formby/Freshfield.

Can’t recall where I heard it now.

For some reason, I have it in my head that Mike Newell was Alan Shearer’s paper boy when Shearer lived in Formby/Freshfield.

Can’t recall where I heard it now.

....good information, Jonte, although it would‘ve been a trek getting from Formby to SFX in Woolton.

Of course, Newell played with Shearer at Blackburn, so it’s difficult to see him delivering his papers. I actually wasn’t aware Shearer lived in that neck of the woods, @Dario Terracotta is our resident expert and might be able to clarify.

.....Billy Wright is one that slipped under the radar a bit, especially as he played quite a few games. I have it in mind he was related to Tommy, but it would be good to know what district he came from?

This is what has been foxing me too, Eggs, that they ended up playing together, although Shearer being the senior player.

Perhaps circulated as banter between the players?

Yep, Shearer lived in footballer’s land for quite some time after his Blackburn days as I recall.

Re Gary Ablett: I worked with a guy who went to school with Gary, which is where I first heard of the name St. Margaret’s school.

Being from the north end, I wasn’t too familiar with the southern end of the city, but recall seeing the sign outside the school whilst driving to see a friend who’d moved to Aigburth many years later. On doing so, Gary Ablett immediately came to mind, God rest his soul.

At the risk of thread-drift, I’m aware that Gary’s dad, Neil, was a former serving Police Officer with Merseyside Police, who made several appearances for the Great British Police team, which I believe was no mean feat in itself due to the number of ex-pros who joined up after the end of their playing careers, for one reason or another.

John Ebbrell’s sister was also a serving Officer with Merseyside Police, and Jamie (boo!) Carragher’s uncle, also a serving officer, was a proper footballer - unlike Jamie - who played well into his forties.

Final piece of trivia: Leslie Owen’s (father of former Liverpool striker, Michael) mother lived in Ford on the north side of Litherland.

Re Gary Ablett: I worked with a guy who went to school with Gary, which is where I first heard of the name St. Margaret’s school.

Being from the north end, I wasn’t too familiar with the southern end of the city, but recall seeing the sign outside the school whilst driving to see a friend who’d moved to Aigburth many years later. On doing so, Gary Ablett immediately came to mind, God rest his soul.

At the risk of thread-drift, I’m aware that Gary’s dad, Neil, was a former serving Police Officer with Merseyside Police, who made several appearances for the Great British Police team, which I believe was no mean feat in itself due to the number of ex-pros who joined up after the end of their playing careers, for one reason or another.

John Ebbrell’s sister was also a serving Officer with Merseyside Police, and Jamie (boo!) Carragher’s uncle, also a serving officer, was a proper footballer - unlike Jamie - who played well into his forties.

Final piece of trivia: Leslie Owen’s (father of former Liverpool striker, Michael) mother lived in Ford on the north side of Litherland.

...some good stuff there, but I don’t think we can definitely pin Gary Abblett to an area yet.

Merseyside Police always had a very decent team, playing at Fairfield in the Zingari they might have even moved to the West Cheshire League. Played a bit of representative schoolboy football with a lad who went on to be a very senior policeman and I’m sure played for its National team. Fond memories.

....yep, @Gwladys St. Glory mentioned he went to St Margaret’s but that’s a fine school and parents from across the City send their kids there.
Yes I went there , he was a few years younger. A few notable pupils Bill Tidy the cartoonist, and Billy Ashcroft footballer. I have an old prize giving program from many years back were Gary is mentioned not sure how you attach things on here

A copy of the relevant page...................and no I did not get a prize. In fact somehow I managed to avoid them throughout my time at school

Attachments

• prize 1.jpg
    prize 1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 107
Yes I went there , he was a few years younger. A few notable pupils Bill Tidy the cartoonist, and Billy Ashcroft footballer. I have an old prize giving program from many years back were Gary is mentioned not sure how you attach things on here

....it wasn’t a renowned footy school, but I did play there as a kid in the early 70s and always have a memory of getting a cup of tea and pasty after the game. Very nice.

....it wasn’t a renowned footy school, but I did play there as a kid in the early 70s and always have a memory of getting a cup of tea and pasty after the game. Very nice.

I’m useless myself at uploading, but if you take a picture, click on the ‘attach file’ tag it takes you to your picture library. Select the picture you want to upload, then ‘full image’.
I think I have done it, he is recorded as being in the U14/U15 City team.The date was November 1980

I think I have done it, he is recorded as being in the U14/U15 City team.The date was November 1980

....St Margaret’s not noted for Liverpool Schoolboy footballers, Tim, but I have a recollection of Abblett playing for the City team.

i think we’ll put him in the Aigburth category unless somebody says different.

....good information, Jonte, although it would‘ve been a trek getting from Formby to SFX in Woolton.

Of course, Newell played with Shearer at Blackburn, so it’s difficult to see him delivering his papers. I actually wasn’t aware Shearer lived in that neck of the woods, @Dario Terracotta is our resident expert and might be able to clarify.
Shearer did live in freshfield,as did mike Newell,still does I think,maybe it was mikes son the paper boy!!

George Burnett the goalie from the 1950's and Ian Marshall from the late 1980's were both from Litherland. Andy Rankin was from Bootle.

...well, I’m keeping things to post-1960, we had Andy Rankin from Bootle but the Ian Marshall information is most welcome because we had his name but not where he lived. I suspected he might be from there because I saw him once at Bootle golf course.

Status
Not open for further replies.