Why do everton continue to lose away to certain teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjoeefc

Player Valuation: £20m
Our record away to arsenal, liverpool, chelsea and man utd is abysmal in the last 25 years+ and it's getting to the point now where questions have to be asked. On numerous times within that period Everton have been in a commanding position in those fixtures sometimes even with 2 goal leads but never seem to win. I think we are better than Arsenal but yesterday they score with virtually every decent chance they get and we miss a load of great chances. When even Ancelotti is struggling to stop this rot of a run, it begs the question how does it keep happening that we continue to lose these fixtures and add to the terrible record against these clubs. Will it ever change? Liverpool kids and then this weak arsenal team. Is it purely a mentality problem? I'm not sure because the likes of Cahill, pienaar, jagielka etc were all strong minded and had the same problems.

If we can start to win away at most grounds as in not the so called top teams,that may change how we could do at these Grounds going forward, i just dont get how we can be decent most of the time at Home and so bad away as it has gone on for a long time

United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, City
---> From those 6 away games we know we're taking a maximum of 3-4 points a season until something dramatically changes. It's nowhere near good enough and our record against these teams is quite frankly embarrassing.

I just don't get the "losing mentality" argument. We have players in now who have represented some of the biggest clubs in the world and are huge international stars who are used to winning. Yes we still have some proven bottlers in our ranks from old managers, but we are under Ancelotti now and have a spine made up of a Brazilian international (Richarlison), a Portuguese international (Gomes), a Colombian international (Mina) and England's number one goalkeeper, supplemented with French international fullbacks and 30m players aplenty. The mentality must be so ingrained and contagious that it's somehow been able to be passed on to all of these players.

I guess we have to suck it up this season and hope it will change once Carlo has been able to clear the ranks and turn it into a team of his own, because right now it's still Silva's squad.

Last edited:
Our record away to arsenal, liverpool, chelsea and man utd is abysmal in the last 25 years+ and it's getting to the point now where questions have to be asked. On numerous times within that period Everton have been in a commanding position in those fixtures sometimes even with 2 goal leads but never seem to win. I think we are better than Arsenal but yesterday they score with virtually every decent chance they get and we miss a load of great chances. When even Ancelotti is struggling to stop this rot of a run, it begs the question how does it keep happening that we continue to lose these fixtures and add to the terrible record against these clubs. Will it ever change? Liverpool kids and then this weak arsenal team. Is it purely a mentality problem? I'm not sure because the likes of Cahill, pienaar, jagielka etc were all strong minded and had the same problems.

Because the best teams don't lose very often at home? Last season, City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea lost just four games at home out of 76. So away teams have a 5% chance of winning. That's broadly the same for each of the last how many seasons. The top teams lose a handful of games at home every season.

Chelsea have lost at home to Southampton, West Ham and Bournemouth this season alone, but I bet you any money we don’t win there.

It's still not the norm though. Man Utd have lost more away games than they've won this season. Spurs have lost twice as many away as they've won. Arsenal have also lost more than they won away from home. Even teams that have done well, like Sheffield United, have only won 4 of 13 away games. If Everton can convert some of the 8 defeats into draws, then that's not bad.

We have scored as many goals away as we have at home, but our defence seems much tighter at home. That seems an obvious area to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.