2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your waiting for a Keeper who comes for crosses they wont come.

Most Keepers these days dont command their 6 yard box.
This is true. Why has it gone out of fashion? Find a keeper who does, and it takes so much pressure off your defenders. Incidentally, I would say de Gea is worse even than Pickford at staying on his line.

I agree with that point, however I'm not going to lay all the blame for his poor performances on the fans and their expectations, criticism or whatever it actually is.

Is it a factor? Yes it is; but from what I've seen and what I personally know, he is also his own worst enemy because his brashness clouds his own expectations.

Does his defence have confidence in him? Do they feel comfortable in their relationship to a point they can rely on him, and vice versa? I'm not sure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to bash Jordan and I do feel he is a good shot stopper, with a lot of potential, but if he wants to kick on then he needs to change.

You look at the likes of De Gea (a fantastic keeper) who went through a period of real instability and made errors. Did he come out with rambles? Did he rant?

I know it was a few weeks ago, but when we weren't playing particularly well we had Jordan going out openly necking pints, in front of the media, and being a tit.

He's a human, yes, but there was a time and a place for such behaviour and it's not during a period of instability where you're playing up to the crowd.

In layman's terms: he needs to get his head down, mellow and reflect. Then, I think he really could be the fantastic keeper that we all wished he'd initially be.

All the rambles and rant are part of the front though, that is his character, De Gea is a bit of dry nothing when it comes to personality.

I am not suggesting the fans keep schtum in this instance, but pointing out that I think it has gone too far to recover. He is nervous, makes errors, the fans react, rinse and repeat.

Pickford is in a better team than those who have finished beneath us, and yet he consistently finishes toward the top end of the “errors leading to shots” and “errors leading to goals” charts.

He’s barely an average goalkeeper, at a time when England are blessed with a very strong team, they are sorely lacking a reliable #1. He’s already much less reliable and commanding than Dean Henderson who has been stellar for Sheffield United all season.

Oh I am not backing Pickford, just pointing out why Fabianski had decent stats and that stats don't mean much at all.

All the rambles and rant are part of the front though, that is his character, De Gea is a bit of dry nothing when it comes to personality.

I am not suggesting the fans keep schtum in this instance, but pointing out that I think it has gone too far to recover. He is nervous, makes errors, the fans react, rinse and repeat.
Think you’re right on this, it’s just one more goal-conceding error away from a Stonesy ‘calm down’ gesture to the fans.

Think you’re right on this, it’s just one more goal-conceding error away from a Stonesy ‘calm down’ gesture to the fans.
I just cannot see any way he can regain his confidence, not make any howlers and get the fans on side again for a decent period of time.

I agree with that point, however I'm not going to lay all the blame for his poor performances on the fans and their expectations, criticism or whatever it actually is.

Is it a factor? Yes it is; but from what I've seen and what I personally know, he is also his own worst enemy because his brashness clouds his own expectations.

Does his defence have confidence in him? Do they feel comfortable in their relationship to a point they can rely on him, and vice versa? I'm not sure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to bash Jordan and I do feel he is a good shot stopper, with a lot of potential, but if he wants to kick on then he needs to change.

You look at the likes of De Gea (a fantastic keeper) who went through a period of real instability and made errors. Did he come out with rambles? Did he rant?

I know it was a few weeks ago, but when we weren't playing particularly well we had Jordan going out openly necking pints, in front of the media, and being a tit.

He's a human, yes, but there was a time and a place for such behaviour and it's not during a period of instability where you're playing up to the crowd.

In layman's terms: he needs to get his head down, mellow and reflect. Then, I think he really could be the fantastic keeper that we all wished he'd initially be.

No one asked De Gea and the press made out United were gonna sell him to Real.

Here's another who's had a bit of a mare...Courtios at Real.

Worst thing is, nobody will buy him for a value deemed worthy for us.

We've got to stick by him for the foreseeable future and hope he progresses into the brilliant keeper we know he can become.
I think we would comfortably get at least 20m for him but the Q is who would want him? Certainly none of the top 6 and non below us could afford his wages.
However having said all that I understand that Chelsea maybe in the market for a new keeper.
The Q then remains who is the quality GK we can realistically get to replace him?

Has anyone seen the save at 2-1? I'm not justifying his error or his attitude but the save at 2-1 also may have won us the points
I believe he is here to stay, he's not everyones cup of tea but I remember the fans loving Thomas Myhre - yet he was an erratic clown on his day.

Status
Not open for further replies.