2019/20 Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I'm happy to keep him another week or two if it's so he can take all the bullets instead of the new manager. The last time the board sacked manager straight away with no one lined up it left us an utter mess.

Forget all this "it's cruel and inhumane to subject him to the crowd's anger" crap. If he feels uncomfortable then he can resign, nothing's forcing him to stay. The club owe him sod all. Get the last bit of use out of him (being the human shield for all the inevitable fury when we get crushed by Leicester then the RS) then once the road clears toss him in the bin then. New manager comes in with a kinder fixture list and a chance to win people round.

Just feel if it were Moyes he'd have been here by now, he's only a 10 second phone call away.

Anyone know how long silva has left on his contract?he can’t be short on money if I was him I would just walk now.dont see the point of keeping him whilst looking for a new manager I couldn’t cope with the thought your not good enough your just here till somebody better comes along.didnt sporting Lisbon sack him when a better manager waS available But came out with a blag story it was cos he Didn’t wear the club suit to a game.

To be fair on that point.

that is 26 wins he got against those teams, mostly at home as you have correctly stated.

However

In the 11 years we played under Moyes, we had a grand total of.......132 games against those sides. 2 x 6 teams x 11 years.

So that puts Moyes winning a grand total of 20% of his games against those 6 clubs, with specific numbers varying based on the club.

Also taking into account that both city and spurs were very average teams until recent years, city in 2013? Spurs 2015?

Is it really a good statistic? Given that for those 3 wins against liverpool for example, their managers dwarfed that figure, same as wenger, same as united, same as chelsea etc

And we didnt win away in those 11 years (still counting arent we?) at the top 4. 2 of the clubs you have listed werent the SKY4 back then.

Personally only winning 26 out of 132 attempts, only 3 against certain teams and crucially, none away is a shockingly poor record to have as a manager who has self claimed that he was a striker away from a winning the league.

....but to be fair, don’t think we were worried about being beaten by bottom feeders at home - like we are now!

So if the report about keeping him on until a replacement is found is true, then it's no better than having the tea lady step in as interim manager. I mean, how do you sack a manager on those terms without it going mammary glands up? Oh wait, it is already glands up. It's like a bad soap opera.

Picture this.

Sitting in the dark boardroom, dire faces all around, Marco takes a swig of whiskey. He is going to need it.
A soft voice from the shadows speaks. "We're going to have to let you go, Marco. But, hang in there, no need to pack your bags just yet. We're going to need a bit of time to replace you. So, if you could just carry on as if this meeting never happened, that would be great. Oh, and before you do finally go, maybe, as a parting gift, get us a win against the RS. Thanks, Marco, lad. Wish it could have been different. Anyway, carry on, we'll let you know when the taxi is here."
Secretary enters the room and to the chairman she silently mouths the words, "David's on line one."
A mischievous smile spreads across chairman's mouth.
At this point, Marco stands up and says something unintelligible concerning a pay off, a contract, a lawyer and an agent.

So the saga continues.

I agree.... it’s largely why Moyes didn’t work at ManU, even though he had been handpicked by Fergie for the role years before. The players there had more silverware than he had!

But while I would love for a superstar manager to come in and turn us around.... who in their right mind would risk their credibility to pick up the job? All Moshiri’s money’s not going to get us the best of the best cause it’s almost professional suicide at the moment. So it’s either the best of the rest.... or someone desperate to get back into the game - all I know is going around in circles with Marco is not going to get us out of the corner his got is stuck in!

How many more games before we’re scraping the floor of the league?

Honestly at this rate it would be better we make one of our fans “manager for a week” while looking for Marco’s replacement, cause they’d probably get more respect....as all the players know he’s got at least a foot out the door - no point keeping him!

Heck make Big Dunc interim manager till we get someone, cause as soon as the players heard the chants last week - Silva lost them.

We may not want Moyes or Howe or whomever that being put up on the board for some reason or other, but I think the real question at the moment my friends is....WHO WANTS US?‍
The main reason it didn't work for Moyes at Utd is the reason why he didn't work for us away at a top 6 team nor at home against the fodder. The ability to keep possession and break teams down. United at home under him conceded the majority of possession to WBA.

His style is the first ball diagonal, play off the second ball. And to be fair, in some of his years here he had some very good players who thrived in that final third, like Osman, Arteta and Pienaar and a consistent supply line from LB.

But that style of football only gets you so far. Away against the big boys they carve you open because a Moyes team can't generate and sustain pressure with those tactics. At home against the lowly teams, they'll sit in, deny the space in front of the defence and look to counter. The best example is 0-3 v Wigan in the cup.

Moyes did wonders here because of where he picked us up from. Silva, for me anyway, was the right type of appointment because his teams look to be good on the ball through each stage of the pitch. His problem is consistency, obviously, but also he doesn't seem to have an ability to get results from what he has. What I mean by that is, we know he's missing a CB, we know he lost Gueye and we know he needs a proper, proven striker. With what he has got though, he should be able to produce far, far better than 15th. Maybe not top 6 yet.

Win 3 of the next run of games though and he buys himself some time. I don't see him doing that of course.

The main reason it didn't work for Moyes at Utd is the reason why he didn't work for us away at a top 6 team nor at home against the fodder. The ability to keep possession and break teams down. United at home under him conceded the majority of possession to WBA.

His style is the first ball diagonal, play off the second ball. And to be fair, in some of his years here he had some very good players who thrived in that final third, like Osman, Arteta and Pienaar and a consistent supply line from LB.

But that style of football only gets you so far. Away against the big boys they carve you open because a Moyes team can't generate and sustain pressure with those tactics. At home against the lowly teams, they'll sit in, deny the space in front of the defence and look to counter. The best example is 0-3 v Wigan in the cup.

Moyes did wonders here because of where he picked us up from. Silva, for me anyway, was the right type of appointment because his teams look to be good on the ball through each stage of the pitch. His problem is consistency, obviously, but also he doesn't seem to have an ability to get results from what he has. What I mean by that is, we know he's missing a CB, we know he lost Gueye and we know he needs a proper, proven striker. With what he has got though, he should be able to produce far, far better than 15th. Maybe not top 6 yet.

Win 3 of the next run of games though and he buys himself some time. I don't see him doing that of course.

We have less penetration in the final third under Silva than Pele does with his old boy these days.

how you can say we look to be good on the ball in the attacking third is boggling.

So if the report about keeping him on until a replacement is found is true, then it's no better than having the tea lady step in as interim manager. I mean, how do you sack a manager on those terms without it going mammary glands up? Oh wait, it is already glands up. It's like a bad soap opera.

Picture this.

Sitting in the dark boardroom, dire faces all around, Marco takes a swig of whiskey. He is going to need it.
A soft voice from the shadows speaks. "We're going to have to let you go, Marco. But, hang in there, no need to pack your bags just yet. We're going to need a bit of time to replace you. So, if you could just carry on as if this meeting never happened, that would be great. Oh, and before you do finally go, maybe, as a parting gift, get us a win against the RS. Thanks, Marco, lad. Wish it could have been different. Anyway, carry on, we'll let you know when the taxi is here."
Secretary enters the room and to the chairman she silently mouths the words, "David's on line one."
A mischievous smile spreads across chairman's mouth.
At this point, Marco stands up and says something unintelligible concerning a pay off, a contract, a lawyer and an agent.

So the saga continues.
They haven’t had a meeting with silva though cos he’s been in Portugal for 2 days.hes due back at finch farm tomorrow so maybe a meeting will take place

They haven’t had a meeting with silva though cos he’s been in Portugal for 2 days.hes due back at finch farm tomorrow so maybe a meeting will take place then
1F72F14A-7381-4B1F-BD59-0F45F19B4D10.jpeg

We have less penetration in the final third under Silva than Pele does with his old boy these days.

how you can say we look to be good on the ball in the attacking third is boggling.
That's what his teams seek to do, don't they Paul? During the 17 game period last season, we achieved that.
Have we this season? Of course not. But the idea that Silva doesn't want his teams to he progressive through the pitch is truly mind boggling Paul. The point is the theory Vs the practice which is what Silva is getting wrong, massively.

Status
Not open for further replies.