The most exciting forward line we’ve had in years?

Which attack was more exciting?

• Lukaku, Barkley, Deulofeu etc

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Today’s squad

Votes: 50 59.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Politely and respectfully disagree.

When played consistently he and Lukaku were an unstoppable partnership.

They were almost unstoppable at times, but their trouble was inconsistency and lack of fitness. Lukaku had some great games for us, but some really terrible ones too - look at the semi-final V Man U for example - while Deulofeu was simply unable to function for 90 minutes. His being taken off last Saturday was probably the most predictable event of the day.

As for our current forward line, it's too early to tell. Let's raise the question again in a few months' time.

After just reading the quotes from Marco on Richarlison’s mindset:

It’s reminded me how we have one of the best young attackers in the world - Brazil’s next big star who already plays every game for them and scored the pen to win them the Copa America.

He, alongside:
  • Gylfi - coming off a great season and has a better attack to feed, has his critics but unplayable on his day.
  • Kean - I still can’t believe we pulled that one off. He was Juve and Italy’s next big thing.
  • Iwobi - another exciting young player who has learned a lot over the years with Arsenal.
  • Bernard - absolutely magic at times and if he found his shooting boots he’d already be playing for Real.
  • DCL - splits opinion like no other but I personally saw so much improvement from him last season that I think he could be brilliant for us.
When comparing these attackers with the one with Lukaku, Barkley, Deulofeu - which was amazing at times and if we kept them together we could’ve had a great team - I’m interested to see which group of players people think was/is/could/could’ve been better?

Personally I think if this attack clicks we’ll be right in the mix with the top 6.

I definitely agree! Even if you are one of the DCL-haters which is undeserved etc etc just think of the years of having probably 1-2 good attackers at a time - Yakubu, Johnson, Beattie, Campbell, Cahill but then also average ones like Anichebe, Kone, Bent in reserve, this is an exciting time with some big name young attackers with potential

Yakubu with Cahill behind him and Johnson Anichebe and Vaughan sat on the bench was the strongest forward line we’ve had in my opinion. Lukaku was great but we could never get anyone regularly contributing with him.

This crop could be good but they need to start being far more decisive (as Bernard was on Saturday) the amount of underhit shots we do borne from indecision is ridiculous. There’s also not much interplay between them yet. There were flashes last season like Leicester and Brighton but too infrequent.

I think potentially we could be better off, but they still have a lot to deliver. Whats lost is that season Mirallas was very very good as well, as good as anything we now have.

At present the 2013 was better, but this attack could be as good, and we are probably better in midfield too.

Yakubu with Cahill behind him and Johnson Anichebe and Vaughan sat on the bench was the strongest forward line we’ve had in my opinion. Lukaku was great but we could never get anyone regularly contributing with him.

This crop could be good but they need to start being far more decisive (as Bernard was on Saturday) the amount of underhit shots we do borne from indecision is ridiculous. There’s also not much interplay between them yet. There were flashes last season like Leicester and Brighton but too infrequent.

The frustrating angle with this side is they can do better. Sigurdsson strikes a ball as well as anyone (though in fairness he does score a lot of goals) but should shoot more often. Digne likewise. You then think of Gomes who hits a ball well, we should have more shots.

We need more scruffy goals too. Richarlinson actually scores a lot of scruffy goals, but our players need to do it more. Bernard gets into lots of good shooting positions in the box and needs to take more opportunities.

Lots of potential, but lets see how we do.

Lukaku was our best striker in a long long time. Whilst, yes, at times he was hit and miss, 1 in 2 strikers are hard to come by thesedays.

This current crop need to score a few more goals before they can topple the Barkley/Lukaku squad.

Football still amazes me. We win one game, Bernard has a good game for the first time in a while and suddenly we have a really exciting front three. Richarlison missed two free headers that he should have at least got on target. It is the same as that article on the BBC website, Sterling scores a hatrick in week one and they are wondering if he is going to have a Messi type season.

Lets just let things evolve, we aren't going to challenge top 4 this year, we need the front 4 to get used to each other, Kean to settle in, Richarlison to keep on improving into the player we hope he can be. We are a work in progress, nothing more than that currently.

I’m not saying he was crap, I’m just saying we overrated him massively.
Yeah. I reckon that's because a) he was ex Barcelona and we weren't used to that. b) he got us off our seats every time he got the ball. c) he was young so we thought he could only get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.