2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the Olympic records you'll find dark-skinned males far, far outperform white-skinned males in running events. Take a look at recent history, Mo Farah, Usain Bolt, Justin Gatley. Then go further back, Colin Jackson, Linford Christie. Look at marathons, the London marathon male event has been won by Kenyans or Ethiopians since 2003. It's not racist to say that the history books state darker-skinned athletes have outperformed lighter-skinned athletes in running. Even football commentators, without mentioning colour but absolutely alluding to it, describe tall, dark-skinned footballers as "athletes" - don't say you haven't heard it a million times. So it's no surprise when people link skin colour to athleticism in terms of running and stamina in football.

With that in mind, you can see why people would link skin colour to athleticism. It may not be true of course, but it's not racist.

That all said, would DCL be classed as black? If so, we've already got a "big black fella who runs all game". lol And he's definitely an athlete, maybe just not a very good goalscorer.

Crass response.

If you look at the Olympic records you'll find dark-skinned males far, far outperform white-skinned males in running events. Take a look at recent history, Mo Farah, Usain Bolt, Justin Gatley. Then go further back, Colin Jackson, Linford Christie. Look at marathons, the London marathon male event has been won by Kenyans or Ethiopians since 2003. It's not racist to say that the history books state darker-skinned athletes have outperformed lighter-skinned athletes in running. Even football commentators, without mentioning colour but absolutely alluding to it, describe tall, dark-skinned footballers as "athletes" - don't say you haven't heard it a million times. So it's no surprise when people link skin colour to athleticism in terms of running and stamina in football.

With that in mind, you can see why people would link skin colour to athleticism. It may not be true of course, but it's not racist.

That all said, would DCL be classed as black? If so, we've already got a "big black fella who runs all game". lol And he's definitely an athlete, maybe just not a very good goalscorer.
People aren’t thick. But there was no need at all to bring skin colour into it.
He could’ve just as easily said “there’s a million players in league one who will run the channels all day long”.
Absolute scumbag comment to make with horrible connotations.

People aren’t thick. But there was no need at all to bring skin colour into it.
He could’ve just as easily said “there’s a million players in league one who will run the channels all day long”.
Absolute scumbag comment to make with horrible connotations.
Yes mate, and my post highlighted why he probably came to those conclusions. Hope you didn't miss the part in my post where it says "it may not be true, of course".

I assume he's from the generation before mine where it was deemed perfectly acceptable for such comments to be made, and why the mod who replied to his post sensibly pointed out not to use that term instead of banning him for it.

Seems to be a lot of people trying to cause trouble on here at the moment, rather a lot of hostility, calling posters "vermin", etc. I'd exercise the ignore feature - as I do (do it to me if you wish!) - to make the board a much more pleasant experience.

Are you one of those who queues up every World Cup to tell us that every sub-saharan side are "great athletes but tactically naive"?

A million big black fellas chasing HK4 must be a reacuring nightmare.

Just because others (in your point, football commentators) say it, doesn't mean it's right. And they have been called out on it very publicly in the last 2 seasons. It is racist because the language that's used stereotypes and it's different words that used.

Yes mate, and my post highlighted why he probably came to those conclusions. Hope you didn't miss the part in my post where it says "it may not be true, of course".

I assume he's from the generation before mine where it was deemed perfectly acceptable for such comments to be made, and why the mod who replied to his post sensibly pointed out not to use that term instead of banning him for it.

Seems to be a lot of people trying to cause trouble on here at the moment, rather a lot of hostility, calling posters "vermin", etc. I'd exercise the ignore feature - as I do (do it to me if you wish!) - to make the board a much more pleasant experience.
Yes mate, and like I said in my post, people aren’t thick.
We know exactly what link he was making, but that’s not what the gripe is. There was no need to say it was there?
I never called anyone vermin, I called it a scumbag comment. Which it was.
Finding it a bit weird how you’re defending it tbh.

Browsing this thread with my cornflakes like

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.