2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weren't you saying that about Vlasic?

More of those sales needed...much more.

I said ages ago that Vlasic wouldnt play for us ever again.

He was an easy sale tho, very good season domestically and a few decent CL games, fairly low purchase price, very affordable wages, so yeah I wish we had LOADS of those players to sell. Meanwhile Sandro Ramirez is earning 105k a week and has scored 1 goal in 3 seasons.

He was an easy sale tho, very good season domestically and a few decent CL games, fairly low purchase price, very affordable wages, so yeah I wish we had LOADS of those players to sell. Meanwhile Sandro Ramirez is earning 105k a week and has scored 1 goal in 3 seasons.

I still get those two mixed up.

If anyone had said the day that Brands walked into the building that in a year’s time we’d have Richarlison, Digne, Bernard, Gomes, Mina all playing for us on permanent deals without selling a big player they would have been laughed off the forum.

He’s doing far better than ok. People just are not noticing the improvement. The squad is unrecognisable from what it was under Koeman and Allardyce.
Not sure you can put that all on Brands though to be fair. I'm not knocking him, but the same would apply if you left out the names and just said we'd have spent £120m without selling a big player. We've been bank rolled to an extent but that can't continue forever. He may have gone overboard on some aspects of it but @davek has a fair point underneath it all. What would be really impressive is if he manages to a) Sell some of the unwanted players (and lets be clear here, they're not THAT bad, whatever some people might try to say) and b) sign some real gems for very little outlay. He's done well so far and I genuinely believe and trust in him, but some people are definitely going OTT about his work so far.

I give credit where due.

If he starts selling decent players for decent fees it'll be far more impressive than buying players. Buying is the easy part of the job.

The feller has no pedigree of selling average players for fees. If he fails again for the third window running this summer, I think we can take it for granted he can only do one side of that job.
In order to sell anything,you have to have a buyer. Also these aren’t average players,they are rubbish players. It’s a bit like trying to flog a fake Rolex to people who know what a real Rolex is. If he can manage to sell any of them for any money he will have performed a miracle.

I give credit where due.

If he starts selling decent players for decent fees it'll be far more impressive than buying players. Buying is the easy part of the job.

The feller has no pedigree of selling average players for fees. If he fails again for the third window running this summer, I think we can take it for granted he can only do one side of that job.
He’s having to deal with the failures of the past regime mate.

He doesn’t go after players like the 28+ year old players on massive wages that we’re stuck with now because he is fully aware of how difficult it is to shift such players in the future.

I’d be critical if the fringe players on big wages like Schneiderlin/McCarthy etc are still here at the start of next season however. Vital that we replace them type of squad players with younger players that don’t take up too much of the wage bill.

...so he shouldn't have any trouble getting £25k pw Besic or £7K pw Holgate sold then?

He’s having to deal with the failures of the past regime mate.

He doesn’t go after players like the 28+ year old players on massive wages that we’re stuck with now because he is fully aware of how difficult it is to shift such players in the future.

I’d be critical if the fringe players on big wages like Schneiderlin/McCarthy etc are still here at the start of next season however. Vital that we replace them type of squad players with younger players that don’t take up too much of the wage bill.
I did the sums on all those out on loan at the club a wjile back: it averages at something like 35K pw to 40K pw. Yes, some ridu=iculous earners like Ramirez, but overall we should be shifting players like Besic, Holgate, Niasse, and McCarthy

...so he shouldn't have any trouble getting £25k pw Besic or £7K pw Holgate sold then?

Hes already sold Besic once, that deal broke down cos of greedy Agents, but no, he shouldnt have any problem at all in shifting him this Summer, ive seen nothing to suggest Holgate is even for sale, but again he would be a VERY easy transfer.

Can Besic actually demand that wage in the Championship? I imagine he’s a lot like Rodwell when he was at Sunderland where he’s on decent money and thus has no impetus to move to a level he’s suited at.

Status
Not open for further replies.