Steve Walsh - with the benefit of hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem I have with beating Walsh in regards to Sandro was that it was seen as a massive coup for us to get him. He had a low buyout clause and had just scored 17 goals in La Liga which is no mean feat. He was reportedly being chased by a number of clubs and we beat them to his signature.

It seems no one could have foreseen just how bad he would be. Hes made 24 appearances this season in La Liga and zero goals. Thats some achievement for a striker. Statistically he should have at least scored one off his backside by now.

This really, most were made up when we snapped him up for 5m.

BLAMMOS

Sadly hes complete pony.

Arteta will forever be our best Bargain IMO. Obvious one is Cahill ofcourse however Cahill wasn't a clever footballer, he was a snide, combative midfielder who was great at arriving in the box unmarked. while Arteta was a snide, his level of intellgience and quality on the ball for someone who cost £2.5m was incredible.

Both incredible bargains.

Cahill is my favourite though. Just loved his attitude and desire plus he always scored against them.

But both amazing players for different reasons.

Cahill played like i would have liked myself to play for Everton if i had the talent.

The problem I have with beating Walsh in regards to Sandro was that it was seen as a massive coup for us to get him. He had a low buyout clause and had just scored 17 goals in La Liga which is no mean feat. He was reportedly being chased by a number of clubs and we beat them to his signature.

It seems no one could have foreseen just how bad he would be. Hes made 24 appearances this season in La Liga and zero goals. Thats some achievement for a striker. Statistically he should have at least scored one off his backside by now.

It was a coup, the issue was that he decided to make him one of the best paid players at the club over a long contract

I wouldn’t say that £6m for Gibson was good value. I’d say it’s a huge gamble. He sounds decent but the vast majority of players in the U-23s won’t make it in the first 11.

I think if we knew at the time he was on like 120k a week there’d have been more raised eyebrows.

It was a coup at the time but sadly he’s not been up to it.

Don't get this argument. Was it really seen as a massive coup, or did we just think/hope it was a massive coup? I was as excited as anybody when we got him because we were told he was this big star, but I had nothing to base that on really. The first time I watched him was that summer in that Spain under 21 team and I said he looked really average, and nothing I've seen of him since has made me change my mind.

There's a difference between a signing that's exciting for fans and a good signing. Walsh was paid to decide whether players were good enough to play for Everton and Sandro isn't. The fact I was made up when we got him is neither here nor there really.

Cant even begin to imagine the conversation had about signing Cuco Martina, I mean WTF, and a 3 year contract was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.