2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
When he signs shall we sack brands and silva because you know best
I'm sure Brands agrees with me - good player, good club guy, with some obvious deficiencies, which is why he's not going to break the bank on the guy. If he was as good as the folks say on this board he'd be worth 100M, but he's not. My guess is that he's not going north of 30M, and likely around 25M. If he can get a bit more comfortable in Silva's scheme, he might be worth that. He's not old, he's got some unique skills, he could still improve on his obvious areas of deficiency.

The best part about this whole diatribe is that I was the first to even suggest we get him. If you go back, I suggested it when we were first linked with Digne. I also was spot on in terms of the type of player he was and what my concerns were.

Stats serve a purpose and clubs will spend money whenever there is a possibility to get a competitive advantage. However, over reliance on stats is a big problem in the modern game, something which Steve Walsh (and others) have personified.

Re Gomes, there is clearly a reason Barca wanted him when he was playing well for Valencia and there is a reason Spurs want him now. His stats may not show that he scores goals and gets assists, but anyone who watches him play can see that he helps massively in the transition from defence to attack. If you manage a team which wants to play football from the back, he's a huge asset.
OF COURSE he is, and stats show that. I've said as much. Especially with the way Silva likes to build up with his fullbacks when we are in possession. He's terrific in possession in the back and middle thirds. That was key for us at times this year, no question.

I'm sure Brands agrees with me - good player, good club guy, with some obvious deficiencies, which is why he's not going to break the bank on the guy. If he was as good as the folks say on this board he'd be worth 100M, but he's not. My guess is that he's not going north of 30M, and likely around 25M. If he can get a bit more comfortable in Silva's scheme, he might be worth that. He's not old, he's got some unique skills, he could still improve on his obvious areas of deficiency.

The best part about this whole diatribe is that I was the first to even suggest we get him. If you go back, I suggested it when we were first linked with Digne. I also was spot on in terms of the type of player he was and what my concerns were.

I’m sure Marcel is sitting his office reading GOT going and thinking the same

I'm sure none of us know what Brands thinks and I'm double sure Brands doesn't go onto GOT to reinforce his opinion by finding posters on here who share his views.

It will likely be a setback if we don’t sign him. He’s already built a good chemistry with Gana in the middle and the squad. New players don’t always struggle to fit in, but Gomes already understands the system. Would be nice to land he and 3:10

If we don't get him and he goes to Spurs we cannot be surprised really - we're not in Europe.

We just need to keep finding gems like him and Digne though. Smart buys/loans are okay but if we get decent loanees we need to make sure we've pushed on to keep them permanently.

Tbf we didn't know if we'd get Lukaku back and we did...

So today's performance has been exactly what I'm talking about with Gomes.

Amazing 50 yard pass across the pitch to Digne to help break out of our own end. Absolutely brilliant.

But on the goal, he is out of position, gets bypassed, and tries to come back and recover, but he's too slow and too undisciplined so he fouls them in a terrible spot - he's 2nd in the entire league in fouls for a reason.

I know the pass was amazing, wonderful to watch, easy to appreciate, but I'm not sure why some of you don't see both.

Amazing 50 yard pass across the pitch to Digne to help break out of our own end. Absolutely brilliant.

But on the goal, he is out of position, gets bypassed, and tries to come back and recover, but he's too slow and too undisciplined so he fouls them in a terrible spot - he's 2nd in the entire league in fouls for a reason.

I know the pass was amazing, wonderful to watch, easy to appreciate, but I'm not sure why some of you don't see both.

Thought that todays performance wad quite feeble tbh

We do see both, but hes still an amazing player, you find the tactics that suit the player, very easy.

We don’t have any players who are perfect. Gomes needs a bit of defensive cover and Gana does that job well.

Completely agree with your arguments on here. His fouling is unforgivable. He is a fine player, if we get him for a decent price, great, if not then no tears from me. Brands will find similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.