2023/24 Jack Harrison

As many goals and assists as the beloved Ross Barkley this season.

He's in a stinking run, but he's our best right winger.

Think he'd look better with some balance/an actual full back behind him. Coleman needs to come in as soon as he's fully fit.

Same is true for McNeil tbf - both have the leagues worst full backs behind them, in my opinion.
Our two present Full backs were exposed yesterday by two faster wingers - does Dyche ever tell them how to mark a winger as they stand 20 yards off any wingers in a team we play .........

Think he'd look better with some balance/an actual full back behind him. Coleman needs to come in as soon as he's fully fit.

Same is true for McNeil tbf - both have the leagues worst full backs behind them, in my opinion.

Fell off a cliff along with every other midfielder in the first team

I think you're doing Mykolenko a real disservice there because he's come on a lot. There are still issues there - offensively and defensively - but I do like him.

Godfrey or Young at right back is something that brings tears to my eyes, and it will impact on Harrison. However, I do think he'd still be a pretty rubbish player.

A player i always wanted here and shouted for, for along time, but since Dec his form has gone off a cliff. Expected more to be honest and think he has more in his locker then he has shown.

Disappointed.

I think you're doing Mykolenko a real disservice there because he's come on a lot. There are still issues there - offensively and defensively - but I do like him.

Godfrey or Young at right back is something that brings tears to my eyes, and it will impact on Harrison. However, I do think he'd still be a pretty rubbish player.

If Mykolenko doesn't make a mistake, or delivers a 6/10 then I'm pleased. First to admit he's done better this season than I expected - and couldn't praise him enough for a spell earlier in the season against my dire expectations for him. I accept he's come on loads defensively this season - perhaps helped by how we defend/negative setup.

But I stand by what I said, I think we have the worst full backs in the league. I don't think he starts for 1 single other team in the league. He can't beat a man, or cross a ball. We definitely need better. He's part of the problem - maybe I've been spoilt over the years with the likes of Baines or Digne but the fella can't cross a ball. I don't think he'll ever beat a man, and cross a ball to register a single league assist. He's not got a single league assist and I wouldn't be surprised if he never does. 70 premier league appearances. 0 assists.

If Mykolenko doesn't make a mistake, or delivers a 6/10 then I'm pleased. First to admit he's done better this season than I expected - and couldn't praise him enough for a spell earlier in the season against my dire expectations for him. I accept he's come on loads defensively this season - perhaps helped by how we defend/negative setup.

But I stand by what I said, I think we have the worst full backs in the league. I don't think he starts for 1 single other team in the league. He can't beat a man, or cross a ball. We definitely need better. He's part of the problem - maybe I've been spoilt over the years with the likes of Baines or Digne but the fella can't cross a ball. I don't think he'll ever beat a man, and cross a ball to register a single league assist. He's not got a single league assist and I wouldn't be surprised if he never does. 70 premier league appearances. 0 assists.
Offensively, I'll certainly agree with the inability or unwillingness to go past a man or do the overlap, nevertheless I do wonder if some of that is tactical.

It's merely myself pondering, but I very rarely see overlaps on the right either (if at all), with the player often cutting back in and passing backwards if it does occur.

Our crosses are typically slow, lofted balls from deep that defenders love to just deal with by heading away. Is it inability, Dyche tactics, or a combination of the two?

The same happens with Harrison and McNeil, and it's reached the point that when we get the ball out wide, I expect us to lose position and face a counter.

I'm not ignoring or excusing Mykolenko's deficiencies here, however right now there are a lot of players not playing particularly well or in a style we expect.

What's the common denominator?

Offensively, I'll certainly agree with the inability or unwillingness to go past a man or do the overlap, nevertheless I do wonder if some of that is tactical.

It's merely myself pondering, but I very rarely see overlaps on the right either (if at all), with the player often cutting back in and passing backwards if it does occur.

Our crosses are typically slow, lofted balls from deep that defenders love to just deal with by heading away. Is it inability, Dyche tactics, or a combination of the two?

The same happens with Harrison and McNeil, and it's reached the point that when we get the ball out wide, I expect us to lose position and face a counter.

I'm not ignoring or excusing Mykolenko's deficiencies here, however right now there are a lot of players not playing particularly well or in a style we expect.

What's the common denominator?

I think it is, but I understand it.

Dyche has been praised for Mykolenko's development, and I think a lot of that is he's simplified his game.

I figure he can't cross a ball so may as well keep him back.

Goes back to my whole point and why we're discussing it in this thread - both Harrison and McNeil, IMO, have the worst full backs in the league behind them. Neither capable of adequately supporting, and rarely do.

I wish I had a £ for every time Harrison loses possession
I've accumulated on average £5 per game at Leeds with the same equation. That will pay for a weekend in Liverpool and a stay over at the Titanic with the Mrs . See you next season after our short holiday away.MOT

He looked much better with Patterson behind him

Still average but much better

I would much prefer him on the left, sick of him cutting back before crossing. If Dyche must persist with Godfrey, he should give Patterson the right-mid spot because he's quick & can put a good cross in. Stick Dwight in the 10 spot because he's too slow for the wing, but can pick a pass. The only trouble is this means dropping our top scorer, but he's looked crap since he came back.

I honestly don't think its harsh at all mate. They've been nothing short of horrific in an attacking sense.
Well im thinking if anyone else would qualify for the distinction "worst winger we ever had", and considering the likes of Walcott, Lennon, Townsend, Bilyaletdinov, Drenthe, Sandro, Vlasic, McGeady and oh jesus christ i almost forgot Magaye Gueye.

Not gonna go through individual merits for each one here but i think i would be able to convince most Evertonians, even in a depressed drunken slurred stupour that at least two of those are doing a worse job than Harrison currently. And he's part of a far worse lineup than most of those had to endure, which kinda speaks to his advantage.

Still not gonna go to great lengths to defend him or anything but it's a sad thing even Lukaku played better on the wing than our options currently. We never replaced Richarlison properly and even McNeil on form which would be our strongest card is a very limited player.

Well im thinking if anyone else would qualify for the distinction "worst winger we ever had", and considering the likes of Walcott, Lennon, Townsend, Bilyaletdinov, Drenthe, Sandro, Vlasic, McGeady and oh jesus christ i almost forgot Magaye Gueye.

Not gonna go through individual merits for each one here but i think i would be able to convince most Evertonians, even in a depressed drunken slurred stupour that at least two of those are doing a worse job than Harrison currently. And he's part of a far worse lineup than most of those had to endure, which kinda speaks to his advantage.

Still not gonna go to great lengths to defend him or anything but it's a sad thing even Lukaku played better on the wing than our options currently. We never replaced Richarlison properly and even McNeil on form which would be our strongest card is a very limited player.

I didn't say he was the worst winger we've had, I said one of the worst.

I type this as me and my lad sat down to watch it together and 29 minutes have gone and Doucoure hasnt retained possession once. 30% of the game has passed the donkey has lost the ball each and every time (apart from a cross he spoons straight into the keeper).

Like I've mentioned previously, Harrison isn't the problem, he's one part of the problem along with Mcneil, Doucoure and DCL. Jury is out on Beto getting a run of games to see if his goal return and goal threat is any better but I doubt it as he does so many of the basics wrong.