2023/24 Sean Dyche

I don't mind him. Had bugger all to work with, virtually no money, dirge team when he arrived, but points penalty aside, we are having the mediocre mud table finish we wanted after several years of relegation tightrope walking.

He's no Sloppy, or Pep, but then neither were the rest of our managers, aside from Carlos, (and he downed tools halfway to go elsewhere).

Everton is a mess, the team is a mess. Dyche can't really be blamed for that side of things.

As with any manager, it is frustrating at late subs, or sticking with a certain player, or not putting Keane up front, but this is pretty much the same for any manager who ain't Klopp or Pep.

Looking at our stats (aside from finishing) we look top 6. Thats it, thats the point.

A pragmatic team put together for barely any money compared with competitiors?

Totally unattractive name, brand & location.

As for Dyche leaving in the summer.

Were 4th now for our defence, 10th down from 8th with injuries for chances created and 2nd for hitting the woodwork.

What places do you think those 3 stats would be next season if we changed manager?

Because without better finishers we wont be climbing the table with anyone.

Does he have "supporters" ?

Or is he building good faith by having good stats (why everyone including me lauded Potter) and getting points on the board?

I wanted Silva to stay, I also wanted us to bring Potter in due to his teams stats. Those stats were very similar to Dyche in terms of everything looking good aside from forwards missing chances.
2nd for hitting the woodwork 🤣🤣🤣🤣 that’s brilliant. What about the stats that have him alongside Mike walker for no wins in 10 worst record in 30 years and no open play goals in 10 that’s a 23 yr record held by Walter smith

I havent generally picked up that vibe. More a counter view that he should be attacking more and getting better out of what he has. You cant take away whats happened, the points deduction. Otherwise he'd have the team sitting pretty comfortably where most people thought he'd have the team. A good distance from relegation. Me personally i expected nothing more. And if the strikers at the club were not so shy of scoring, you know more than 4 between them all season, maybe a bit higher.
I'm honestly struggling to see what expectation levels are other than survival. Tbh i thought most people were at that level at the start of the season and would have even been more at the level with a points reduction and the recruitment of a loan signing and someone we havent even payed for yet.
There wasnt much to work with at the start. A few body blows later even less. I think dyche has done what i thought he would. On the road we've gone from a soft touch(for years) to an organised side that doesnt collapse.
It was never going to be easy on the eye and i thought we all knew it.
I don't really comment much on the week-to-week results because of the circumstances you've mentioned, albeit I think sitting 12th with the 10th best-paid squad is less than the miracle some make it out to be. It is, however, a lot better than I expected last summer, as I regard him to be a pretty limited operator.

My only issue - and I'm aware it's silly to even be arguing about this, as the club is not in a position to get rid of him anyway - is with talk of extensions beyond his current deal or claims that there are signs of long-term success. His football is basic, often desperate stuff, and the stats that @Zatara references aren't really indicative of anything other than the same fare he was serving up at Burnley.

I wouldn't consider myself to be some sort of football hipster, but where others are saying that the basis of a good team is a solid defence, my belief is that you start with being able to keep possession and go from there. That's really all I've ever advocated for on here and in the past on Kipper. Attacking or defensive, I'm not bothered. I just want to see players that are coached to be comfortable on the ball.

We haven’t won in 9 matches, not incredibly effective is it?

Erm...

To be fair Zat you did say we look Top 6.

We really dont look anywhere near top 6.

Nope...i said "LOOKING AT THE STATS/DATA/NUMBERS"

Not watching the games :eek:

The stats posted this morning were 'big chances created' not 'chances created' Zat, there is a difference between the two. A 'big chance' is basically a shot from the 6 yard box area, literally right on top of the keeper., it's relevant to us due to the amount of set pieces we have and rightly so as we are not bad from them. Our creativity from open play is a different story though, it's poor mate, anyone watching us can see that.

Big chance is where its expected the player scores. Similar with hitting the woodwork (in a way)...

So it shows up poor finishing.

Well there's your problem. You're omitting relevant stats, which falsely elevates our position.

Such as -- obvious one being forwards missing open goals?

2nd for hitting the woodwork 🤣🤣🤣🤣 that’s brilliant. What about the stats that have him alongside Mike walker for no wins in 10 worst record in 30 years and no open play goals in 10 that’s a 23 yr record held by Walter smith

You werent watching Walter Smiths or Mike Walkers teams...no chance.

Erm...

Nope...i said "LOOKING AT THE STATS/DATA/NUMBERS"

Not watching the games :eek:

Big chance is where its expected the player scores. Similar with hitting the woodwork (in a way)...

So it shows up poor finishing.

Such as -- obvious one being forwards missing open goals?

You werent watching Walter Smiths or Mike Walkers teams...no chance.
I’m 52 seen more of Everton than you ever will

I’m 52 seen more of Everton than you ever will

Then your posts make even less sense. If youve experienced the Walker/Smith/Benitez/Koeman/Allardyce years im not sure why you are so anti-Dyche.

We simply lack players who can finish.

If we brought in Mourinho in the summer would you complain?

Then your posts make even less sense. If youve experienced the Walker/Smith/Benitez/Koeman/Allardyce years im not sure why you are so anti-Dyche.

We simply lack players who can finish.

If we brought in Mourinho in the summer would you complain?
You bring up stats to supoort him but don’t like stats that go against him like I’ve said no wins in 10
Fist time in 30 yrars
And no goals in open play for 10 games, have to go back 23 years for that one

I do.

Hence why it's fanciful for you to say we should be challenging for the top 6.

Its pretty clear that i was talking about the three stats mentioned in the thread.

Peculiar to think otherwise.

Adding in how poor our forwards finish would support my overall point that the tactics are effective but our forwards need upgrading.

You bring up stats to supoort him but don’t like stats that go against him like I’ve said no wins in 10
Fist time in 30 yrars
And no goals in open play for 10 games, have to go back 23 years for that one

Those stats both support my point. We need to upgrade our forwards.