Relegation 2022/23

Are Everton going to stay in the Premier League?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are people genuinely concerned about relegation? We have a squad with some depth in defence and midfield and we look difficult to defeat! The tide is turning.

Erm... How do you come to that conclusion? 20/19/18/ are down, shirley?!
I think when you consider where we finished last season, and then see that we've only won one of our first seven this season, it would be very strange to not be even a little bit concerned about relegation. This is how we end up in crisis mode all the time, because people close their eyes to reality and pretend we're a lot better than we actually are.

I think when you consider where we finished last season, and then see that we've only won one of our first seven this season, it would be very strange to not be even a little bit concerned about relegation. This is how we end up in crisis mode all the time, because people close their eyes to reality and pretend we're a lot better than we actually are.
We can also end up in crisis mode by being stressed and panicky for no reason which translates to the players on the pitch.
The fact we did flirt dangerously with relegation, came together, lifted ourselves out of it should give us confidence this year not the opposite.
Having watched every team at least once this season I can't see us being in that fight this year and I'm going to enjoy the improvements on display

We can also end up in crisis mode by being stressed and panicky for no reason which translates to the players on the pitch.
The fact we did flirt dangerously with relegation, came together, lifted ourselves out of it should give us confidence this year not the opposite.
Having watched every team at least once this season I can't see us being in that fight this year and I'm going to enjoy the improvements on display

It doesn’t work like that, when we were at peak stress and panic the players actually woke up and started pulling performances out of the bag. We were in a relegation battle because of complacency and the players refusing to believe they were in a battle until after Burnley.

33 points is 11 wins. We'll grind and frustrate a few sides into dust. Its when we win a game by two and then three goals is where I'm guessing. (not the same game smarty pants)

It doesn’t work like that, when we were at peak stress and panic the players actually woke up and started pulling performances out of the bag. We were in a relegation battle because of complacency and the players refusing to believe they were in a battle until after Burnley.
I don't think the panic got them going, I think it was the increased level of vocal support that woke them up.
They capitulated too often under a groaning moaning Goodison.
Iwobi said how fans encouragement has given him confidence to try things he was half afraid to previously
Maybe it's a bit of both, chicken and egg scenario, that has created this positive feedback loop. I'm riding that wave now anyway and not in the least bit afraid of relegation this season.
If we somehow end up in danger, I'll worry then

Again though that's just jumping to the weird conclusion that there are only 2 ways you can look at it and they're the polar opposite of eachother. It's how many people seem to look at things on here, but there's a massive middle ground that people pretend doesn't exist.

I don't think we will go down, i'm reasonably confident that we're improving and will have enough about us to stay out of trouble. As I said though, I think it's bizarre to not even entertain the thought that a team which stayed up by the skin of it's teeth last year and has started slowly this year could be in danger again. When people convince themselves we'll be comfortably top half despite little evidence to support it it inevitably leads to a backlash when it becomes clear we're still very much a work in progress.

Again though that's just jumping to the weird conclusion that there are only 2 ways you can look at it and they're the polar opposite of eachother. It's how many people seem to look at things on here, but there's a massive middle ground that people pretend doesn't exist.

I don't think we will go down, i'm reasonably confident that we're improving and will have enough about us to stay out of trouble. As I said though, I think it's bizarre to not even entertain the thought that a team which stayed up by the skin of it's teeth last year and has started slowly this year could be in danger again. When people convince themselves we'll be comfortably top half despite little evidence to support it it inevitably leads to a backlash when it becomes clear we're still very much a work in progress.
I'm not saying there are only two ways to look at it but nonetheless, thinking about relegation at this stage does limit my ability to enjoy the work in progress so I'm keeping my powder dry on the relegation front. I believe we won't be relegated, could I be wrong? Yes. Does that mean I need to entertain the thought of it now? No. Not because it is impossible, just that it is less enjoyable. Last season was stressful, and ultimately massive relief. We've earned a reprieve from that stress don't you think?

As long as these injuries remain we will be talking about this most seasons. It’s just unsustainable in the premier league to be continuously missing your best players for long periods of time.

This is a problem that has cost the club millions of pounds in transfer values over the last few years. Someone at the club needs to get a grip of it before Lampard is going to the Etihad or Anfield with Begovic Coleman Keane Davies and Rondon in the starting 11.

Yep it was like the squad only starting looking at the table hours after Burnley away! Came back a few days later when majority were accepting relegation was going to happen and dug out a very solid 1-0 over Man. United. Then after that Burnley winning streak had to win v Chelsea and Leicester and did.

So got the required results but would've been nice to get a few more in February and March so the situation didn't get quite as last chance as it became.

Even with all that losing v Palace would've meant a last day lottery at Arsenal so shows how close things were in the end.

I'm not saying there are only two ways to look at it but nonetheless, thinking about relegation at this stage does limit my ability to enjoy the work in progress so I'm keeping my powder dry on the relegation front. I believe we won't be relegated, could I be wrong? Yes. Does that mean I need to entertain the thought of it now? No. Not because it is impossible, just that it is less enjoyable. Last season was stressful, and ultimately massive relief. We've earned a reprieve from that stress don't you think?
That's a totally different thing though? I'm not stressing about relegation, there's nothing I can do it about it even if it happens so there's no point, and i've already said I think we'll stay up anyway. My point was in reply to someone effectively saying there's no chance of it happening. If that isn't how you see it then what I was saying doesn't apply to you.

33 points is 11 wins. We'll grind and frustrate a few sides into dust. Its when we win a game by two and then three goals is where I'm guessing. (not the same game smarty pants)

Trouble with that is when you only win 1-2 away all season that puts so much pressure to keep stringing out the wins at home. Only takes a run of 3-4 without win at home and suddenly you're massively struggling again.

Team has shown it can battle to draws at Brentford and Leeds, now it must show it can go to Southampton and win 0-2 as that's the result that places you comfortably in mid table pack.

That's a totally different thing though? I'm not stressing about relegation, there's nothing I can do it about it even if it happens so there's no point, and i've already said I think we'll stay up anyway. My point was in reply to someone effectively saying there's no chance of it happening. If that isn't how you see it then what I was saying doesn't apply to you.
Yea it doesn't apply to me :) I'm just confident and optimistic that we won't but of course it is a possibility

Trouble with that is when you only win 1-2 away all season that puts so much pressure to keep stringing out the wins at home. Only takes a run of 3-4 without win at home and suddenly you're massively struggling again.

Team has shown it can battle to draws at Brentford and Leeds, now it must show it can go to Southampton and win 0-2 as that's the result that places you comfortably in mid table pack.
Yes to a point but it cuts both ways, win a couple on the bounce then go on an away or two to forest or fulham or bournemouth or wolves or leicester and then that sudden run of points provides a bit of a breather. We'll lock some games down and stalemate a draw. Ive seen enough so early to know we have the running in midfield and the organisation in defence to be a very solid unit. Get some confidence going in the front four and we'll turn a few sides over.

Status
Not open for further replies.