2022/23 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbh in the training vids, shocked me just how bulked up Davies got, and a few others, something definitely changed in terms of individual programs

Davies definitely looked a lot bigger physically in the derby, and dare I say it but a bit of a handful at certain moments. Some of it is genetic like your body has to be ready to bulk up, and that comes at different wages. Think Davies having time away will have helped too.

Hopefully Holgate and to a degree Godfrey are working on similar.

Am I the only one who thought he struggled yesterday and Iwobi + Gana got him through the game? At times he was a bit casual when he was being urged to carry the ball.

I love his potential but still a way to go. Certainly, doesn't start every match for me. Which is good as we have different options now.

I thought he was fine until about 65 mins then ran out of gas. I’d have hooked him for Tom or Garner then I think. But it turned out ok so no dramas

Am I the only one who thought he struggled yesterday and Iwobi + Gana got him through the game? At times he was a bit casual when he was being urged to carry the ball.

I love his potential but still a way to go. Certainly, doesn't start every match for me. Which is good as we have different options now.

Yeah I thought he wasn’t great in possession

He’s still settling in though and looks like he’ll have all the tools to be a top player. I just don’t want to see us use him like we did Fellaini at times, as a target man number 10 arriving into the box and winning flick ons.

I thought we’d bought him as a number 6 to sit in front of the defence, win it and give it simply. Maybe he’ll move there in time with a bit more experience but as an 8 I thought he could have done a lot more yesterday and I was hoping he’d come off earlier for Garner to give us more control in possession.

In general there was far too much conservative play in midfield, much too many backward passes and failing to drive forward into space or play forward passes first time. Hopefully this comes with greater confidence.

Yeah I thought he wasn’t great in possession

He’s still settling in though and looks like he’ll have all the tools to be a top player. I just don’t want to see us use him like we did Fellaini at times, as a target man number 10 arriving into the box and winning flick ons.

I thought we’d bought him as a number 6 to sit in front of the defence, win it and give it simply. Maybe he’ll move there in time with a bit more experience but as an 8 I thought he could have done a lot more yesterday and I was hoping he’d come off earlier for Garner to give us more control in possession.

In general there was far too much conservative play in midfield, much too many backward passes and failing to drive forward into space or play forward passes first time. Hopefully this comes with greater confidence.

I think right now we can't pigeon hole what type of cm he is gonna become mate, hes being tasked with different roles depending on the opposition - so far he's done them all well too, for the lads development it'll be brilliant as he's got every chance of developing into a complete cm (remember what Roy Keane said when asked to describe his best position (6,8, box to box, am etc), what type of role suits him etc and his answer was 'i'm a midfielder'.

Think Lampard wants 4-5 lads here who all give that same answer.

Just hope it's monitored properly, remember Anichebe bulked up when he was out after the Nolan assault ,when he came back bigger but slower.
Aye good call that mate. His extra weight also caused him to start picking up lots of little stress injuries too as he put it on too fast I think.

Got the feeling that with the staff we have in now, the monitoring will be like night and day compared to the past.

The integration of new players and returning from injury ones suggests were using a lot of checks to see fitness levels before chucking them in too.

Side note, but not on Iwobis scale but Davies improvement so far has really impressed me, and gone under the radar a lot, a lad who looked bombed out here and off the championship effectively now looks actually like a genuine option again should he maintain the improvement he's shown

Tbh in the training vids, shocked me just how bulked up Davies got, and a few others, something definitely changed in terms of individual programs

…I think there has been a major change in Davies. I mentioned in the Derby match thread how he had his ‘game face’ on from the moment he stepped out of the coach. He was in isolation when he stepped onto the pitch and in a zone when he left to get his kit on, totally ignoring youngsters asking for his autograph.

As you say, he’s clearly been working on his fitness. I actually wonder if it’s lots to do with him, a realisation that Lampard is signing CMs and his future at the club is under threat.

He is sometimes very naive and it's easy to forget how young he is because of how mature he is. A bit of a weird player currently as he can play like a prime Gana and an U-18 player in the same game.

Status
Not open for further replies.