2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
We could, but, I'm not sure the money would be there for anything but a short term stop gap in January. Lampard and Thelwell seem to have a profile of player in mind that they want to add to the squad. I think if we are ok, which hope we are, that we will wait until the summer, get some more players out and bring in a player/some players that fit their profile.
Think it is going to be a season of coaching what we have. Leave January for emergencies or more young players like Patterson and Myko ?

Last season a lot of spectacular goals outside the box got us through. I dont see us being that desperate this season and we feel confident to play to feet and carry the threat into the area. We just dont have finishers apart from Maupay. That said, Gray had a glorious chance to get a shot off about 20 yards out and should have taken it, so it needs judgement when to go for a pass or have a dig. I have a feeling when Garner gets going we'll see a lot more efforts from range on goal...and if Townsend gets back also.

The major thing this season though is that tigerish defence.
There has been a big improvement since going to 4 at the back

Who’s saying that? Ban them into the void if anyone is trying that.
Its more a sentiment ive noticed from other fans, pundits and in the media etc.

You get the feeling most outside of everton think lampard is a fraud living off past successes.

The benitez love thanks to his liverpool successes plays a large part in it too.

Just look at that guardian match report for example, incredibly negative

Its more a sentiment ive noticed from other fans, pundits and in the media etc.

You get the feeling most outside of everton think lampard is a fraud living off past successes.

The benitez love thanks to his liverpool successes plays a large part in it too.

Just look at that guardian match report for example, incredibly negative

Unfortunately some of our own fans have also been sucked into the Benitez cult, something we used to mock Liverpool and Newcastle fans for and has also crept into a very small portion of our own fanbase.

We are still very much a work in progress, but the progress that has been made so far this year is very clear.
We have made some very astute signings, as well as at least four long term signings.
We have learned how to defend again and getting a decent midfield was necessary for this to happen.

But,
we still need another striker.
We also need a genuinely creative player to pull the strings as I don't think we have a player in that mould at the moment.

Last season a lot of spectacular goals outside the box got us through. I dont see us being that desperate this season and we feel confident to play to feet and carry the threat into the area. We just dont have finishers apart from Maupay. That said, Gray had a glorious chance to get a shot off about 20 yards out and should have taken it, so it needs judgement when to go for a pass or have a dig. I have a feeling when Garner gets going we'll see a lot more efforts from range on goal...and if Townsend gets back also.

The major thing this season though is that tigerish defence.
They could do a lot worse than getting you in as a coach Dave ???

It's funny cause a loss yesterday and this place would've went into freefall.

Still a lot of work to be done, that was a really really poor West Ham side.

Still too many taking short terms views from result to result. If the Benhrama shot goes in off the post then there’s be some on here questioning his position. If it had gone in after Maupay had put his wife and we’d lost then the pressure would have been unbearable. The performance would have been exactly the same though. Thats why these overreactions you results aren’t helpful and a larger sample of results have to be taken.

What is starting to become more apparent though is that we’ve tightened up at the back considerably as we’ve only conceded more than one goal once in 8 games now. That certainly bodes well as does the consistency of performances from almost every player in the line up.

I’d much rather have that than a few extra points on the board because we got lucky from set pieces in a few games against bottom half teams but were getting punted for four and five by anyone decent. There’s a definite platform to build on.

I'm catiously optimistic that he could be building something here.

I think he's looking to put together solid foundations, it's undeniable that we look harder to play against than last season. Then hopefully, with each transfer window that passes we can add a little more each time that improves the squad as a whole

That, combined with coaching (look at the improvement with Iwobi as an example), gives me hope that Lampard has a clear path he wants us to go down.

It's also interesting to contrast with what Gerard is doing at Villa, where they seem to be just throwing cash at random players; sound familiar to anyone?

Even in management Lampard and Gerrard still being compared..

We should at least be looking to loan another wide player / forward in January.

If we are doing well enough between now and then, it would be a shame to put that progress at risk, particularly with the question marks over DCL.

And if we're not doing well enough, then they'll want and need to add anyway.

Most of our games will resemble yesterdays I feel, in being tight and cagey affairs, we need something extra and more options to cover us across the course of a whole season.

Status
Not open for further replies.