2022/23 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vieira & Toure are right up there as two of the best central midfielders in the premier league era. I'm not a huge fan of jumping on the hype train & bigging players up too early but if some on here see attributes of Onana's game that in it's early form is somewhat comparable to either of thiers then they are free to do so.
The insinuation of it being a purely lazy black comparison does not sit well with me at all.
If you made a list of say the 10-15 best central midfielders to grace the premier league i would imagine at least a third of that list happens to be black.
In fact lets throw so names out there.

Patrick Vieira, Yaya Toure, Michael Essien, Claude Makelele, Ngolo Kante etc. Mix that list with the likes of Keane, Fabregas, Gerrard, Lampard, Silva, De Bruyne, Carrick, Milner etc & stylistically i can see why some on here would make an early, raw comparison to Toure or Vieira instead of some of the others. He doesn't having a playing style like most of the other players i listed currently.
Could he in the future? Sure, but right now his style is more akin to Toure & Vieira hence the comparisons some have made.

I shouldn't even need to make this post. We're better than this.
Stylistically Keane is closer to Vieira and Toure closer to Lampard but you've not grouped them that way.

So are we better?

Wtf? He literally moves and plays like a cross between Vieira and Toure, what’s his skin colour got to do with it? I suppose it’s lazy to say Gueye is similar to Kante as well?
Better make sure not to compare Patterson to young Coleman because they’re both white and British, I suppose that’s racist?
Errrm, Coleman isn't British mate.

Wtf? He literally moves and plays like a cross between Vieira and Toure, what’s his skin colour got to do with it? I suppose it’s lazy to say Gueye is similar to Kante as well?
Better make sure not to compare Patterson to young Coleman because they’re both white and British, I suppose that’s racist?
The comical part of this is Yaye Toure and Vieria were vastly different players. Toure had a 20 goal season, Vieira scored 29 in his Arsenal career. Lumping those two together is giving the game away.

The comical part of this is Yaye Toure and Vieria were vastly different players. Toure had a 20 goal season, Vieira scored 29 in his Arsenal career. Lumping those two together is giving the game away.
And because Toure scored more he was a vastly different player??

You can dominate a midfield, be powerful and run a game with or without scoring goals.

Yaya and Viera are 2 of the best midfielders who have played in the EPL. No issue comparing them Onana with either without apparently grouping players like you suggest…. That is just absurd.

Stylistically Keane is closer to Vieira and Toure closer to Lampard but you've not grouped them that way.

So are we better?
I didn't really group anyone into a group for comparison against eachother. I made a list of some of the great midfielders, some of who are black but you said it's lazy to make that comparison prior because they are black. My issue with you was that & not who is actually best to compare Onana too out of those players.
Out of that whole list there is a case for comparison (albiet a bit early as i alluded too in my original post) to many players if that's how an individual sees it. They all overlap eachother in many metrics whilst being very different in others but let's not call people lazy for making thier own assessments when many of the greats are black & thier choices happened to be black too. It insinuated something that didn't sit well with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.