Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
1661436766752.png

But the thing is even though Gordon has (somehow) gone from 0 to someone bidding 50m in one season, the journey from 50m to the region of 100m is a lot harder. It requires him to add an awful lot to his game that we haven’t seen yet, it requires actual achievement and actual end product, not just potential. I’d still rather Chelsea take that gamble than us.

I do agree we’d be in danger of getting fleeced if we suddenly find 15m players being priced at 25m. But my argument is for a two tier approach: rather than spread the Gordon money too thin essentially do whatever we could’ve done anyway and squeeze everything we can out of the existing budget with loans etc.

Then take the Gordon money if it comes and spend big on a real quality replacement. If you spend, say 35-40 or even more on one player then you will get a player who, right now, is a better player than Gordon.
To my mind he just needs to keep progressing as he has and he will be in the Grealish bracket or surpass it.

Look at Grealishs stats in the prem prior to joining City.

.............................Year Matches Goals Assists

4th season 2020-21 26 ..........6 ..........10

3rd season 2019-20 36 .........8 ............6

2nd season 2015-16 16 ..........1 ..........0

1st season 2014-15 17 ..........0 ...........1

Can Gordon match that? Easily, I'd say.

We won't get a better or even equal replacement for his talent at this point in the window and if we ever did find one we could very well be quoted 80-100 million as others have done and are doing.

Last edited:
To my mind he just needs to keep progressing as he has and he will be in the Grealish bracket or surpass it.

Year Matches Goals Assists

4th season 2020-21 26 6 10

3rd season 2019-20 36 8 6

2nd season 2015-16 16 1 0

1st season 2014-15 17 0 1

We won't get a better or even equal replacement for his talent at this point in the window and if we ever did find one we could very well be quoted 80-100 million as others have done and are doing.

It's weird mate,I genuinely think the biggest problem we've got with evaluation on our young players is the Rooney effect.

We brought through a generational talent, a complete prodigy of a player at 17 and lost him a year later, if you don't measure up to Rooney now you're written off, no end product - despite the fact his numbers compare favourably on his first season with sone of the best in the past 30 years (Ronaldo, Lampard, Gerrard, Giggs).

And if you look for signs of progression in a player - the signs are there already this season, last year he was either not getting in shooting positions or a ? x of missing the target or making the wrong choice. This season already hes shooting A LOT more and also hitting the target regularly, that's a clear sign of coaching and confidence having it's initial impact, I reckon it's only a matter of time till the next step on that curve us him starting to slot regularly.

Pretty sure Chelsea have broken down these stats too and see a clear trajectory of improving in an area he was lacking

.............................Year Matches Goals Assists

4th season 2020-21 26 6 10

3rd season 2019-20 36 8 6

2nd season 2015-16 16 1 0

1st season 2014-15 17 0 1

Wow. I've seen everything now. You realise football is played on grass not a spreadsheet? Gordon runs like a loveable headless chicken. His final ball/shot is terrible. By comparison Grealish looked class and ran his team singlehandedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.