Should we really blame Moyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course we should blame Moyes, and I really want him out as I wrote two weeks ago:

I have wanted Moyes out since the start of last season. Yes yes I know he has done wonders for the club, but he cannot continue to live on past achievements. The highpoint in his Everton career is the FA Cup final against Chelsea, and since that defeat he has looked disinterested, negative and generally like a wounded animal.
I cannot stand the media's obsession that he is such a good manager, they don't even bother to look at how we perform when we meet a club with a huge budget. It's all ok to loose to these teams and not doing anything to change things around - this is Moyes, the man who has done so much for "poor little Everton. God they are lucky they have him."
He has after ten years being completely in charge created a squad that consists of some exiting young players (Rodwell, Vellios, Fellaini and of course Barkley), faithful servants who will never win you a game, but can be counted on to at least work their socks of (Neville, Hibbert, Jagielka, Osman, and of lately Cahill), and a group of misfits that either cannot get a game or somehow only need to have one fit leg in order to start (Bilyaletdinov, Heitinga, Strach, Drenthe, Anichebe and Saha). The squad has no pace, no creativity, and no strikers.
It is clear that tactically Moyes has not evolved since Cahill came to the club in 2004. Whenever he has a full squad to select from, Moyes fails. It beggars belief that he still selects his team around the Cahill, despite it being clear that the only one who benefits from it is Cahill. How many teams in the PL, have their left back as their must creative player?
Moyes' recent whinging after each game about the difference in the money spend by the opposition is also getting embarrassing. Yes there has been no investment in the team, but if we are to believe Moyes, he's the one who is making the call about who gets sold and bought - basically the squad he has is the one he has assembled. So he is responsible for no pace, no strikers and only one winger (Drenthe) who is only on loan, but cannot get a game.
This is not to say that we don't have the players at the club to make the top10, we have. But when more or less the same 11 play each week and the overall gameplan is damage control, and not to win it is bound to go wrong. And surprise surprise it will not change no matter how many times you try it.
When Moyes goes out and say, come to Everton, here we give youth a chance, it is a lie. Youth is only given a chance, when injuries force Moyes' hand, when the team more or less picks itself, because there is no one else is when the results arrive. He did it with Rooney, did it with Rodwell and is doing it to Barkley now. IF you're good enough you're old enough is something that is generally agreed upon, but Moyes does not see it that way.
This is not a kneejerk reaction to the Chelsea game, but a sum-up of how I have felt with Moyes since the start of last season. I have reached the point where I don't know who we are playing until the day before, I almost don't care if I don't catch the game on the telly, and most crazy I have started to hope that we get hammered every time we play, so that Kenwrigth's hand is forced and he sacks Moyes. Moyes needs to realise that he has been given everything at this club, except money, he has total control and is the highest paid member of Everton FC.
PLease Celtic sack Lennon and come asking for Moyes.

Yup.

Add to not fixing the Pienaar void that created a lot of space for Baines, he's not going to be effective.

Another of many points that Moyes thinks will fix themselves rather than fixing them

Plus Pienaar used to offer Baines some protection, whereas Drenthe doesn't do defending, so Baines has to guard the whole left flank by himself. If Moyes recognised these problems, then it shouldn't be too much of a leap for him to be able to come up with solutions. I don't think he sees it though. It seems like everything is about work rate to him.

Of course we should blame Moyes, and I really want him out as I wrote two weeks ago:

I have wanted Moyes out since the start of last season. Yes yes I know he has done wonders for the club, but he cannot continue to live on past achievements. The highpoint in his Everton career is the FA Cup final against Chelsea, and since that defeat he has looked disinterested, negative and generally like a wounded animal.
I cannot stand the media's obsession that he is such a good manager, they don't even bother to look at how we perform when we meet a club with a huge budget. It's all ok to loose to these teams and not doing anything to change things around - this is Moyes, the man who has done so much for "poor little Everton. God they are lucky they have him."
He has after ten years being completely in charge created a squad that consists of some exiting young players (Rodwell, Vellios, Fellaini and of course Barkley), faithful servants who will never win you a game, but can be counted on to at least work their socks of (Neville, Hibbert, Jagielka, Osman, and of lately Cahill), and a group of misfits that either cannot get a game or somehow only need to have one fit leg in order to start (Bilyaletdinov, Heitinga, Strach, Drenthe, Anichebe and Saha). The squad has no pace, no creativity, and no strikers.
It is clear that tactically Moyes has not evolved since Cahill came to the club in 2004. Whenever he has a full squad to select from, Moyes fails. It beggars belief that he still selects his team around the Cahill, despite it being clear that the only one who benefits from it is Cahill. How many teams in the PL, have their left back as their must creative player?
Moyes' recent whinging after each game about the difference in the money spend by the opposition is also getting embarrassing. Yes there has been no investment in the team, but if we are to believe Moyes, he's the one who is making the call about who gets sold and bought - basically the squad he has is the one he has assembled. So he is responsible for no pace, no strikers and only one winger (Drenthe) who is only on loan, but cannot get a game.
This is not to say that we don't have the players at the club to make the top10, we have. But when more or less the same 11 play each week and the overall gameplan is damage control, and not to win it is bound to go wrong. And surprise surprise it will not change no matter how many times you try it.
When Moyes goes out and say, come to Everton, here we give youth a chance, it is a lie. Youth is only given a chance, when injuries force Moyes' hand, when the team more or less picks itself, because there is no one else is when the results arrive. He did it with Rooney, did it with Rodwell and is doing it to Barkley now. IF you're good enough you're old enough is something that is generally agreed upon, but Moyes does not see it that way.
This is not a kneejerk reaction to the Chelsea game, but a sum-up of how I have felt with Moyes since the start of last season. I have reached the point where I don't know who we are playing until the day before, I almost don't care if I don't catch the game on the telly, and most crazy I have started to hope that we get hammered every time we play, so that Kenwrigth's hand is forced and he sacks Moyes. Moyes needs to realise that he has been given everything at this club, except money, he has total control and is the highest paid member of Everton FC.
PLease Celtic sack Lennon and come asking for Moyes.

top post mate

Sounded like a load of moaning and no solution to me.
Of course it is moaning, but if we cannot put some blame on Moyes for our troubles it's crazy. He is responsible for picking the same non-performing players week in week out. It's his tactics that are negative - how many managers will put on a defender for a midfielder when you're trailing a game 2-0? He is the one who has made us predictable and robbed us of any pace whatsoever - with the exception of on-loan Drenthe and headless chicken Coleman, who is so inefficient as a right winger it's incredible, but who could be great as a full back since he will have more space.

I don't care if we loose if we have gone for the win, but I hate playing the ultra defensive **** that Moyes serves up every single week.

Of course it is moaning, but if we cannot put some blame on Moyes for our troubles it's crazy. He is responsible for picking the same non-performing players week in week out. It's his tactics that are negative - how many managers will put on a defender for a midfielder when you're trailing a game 2-0? He is the one who has made us predictable and robbed us of any pace whatsoever - with the exception of on-loan Drenthe and headless chicken Coleman, who is so inefficient as a right winger it's incredible, but who could be great as a full back since he will have more space.

I don't care if we loose if we have gone for the win, but I hate playing the ultra defensive **** that Moyes serves up every single week.

I never said "no blame" but I don't believe he's had a level financial playing field for years. And fair enough for wanting attacking football but I reckon if we lost because of attacking football, everyone on this forum for example would be calling Moyes reckless and would see it from the opposite point of view.

I never said "no blame" but I don't believe he's had a level financial playing field for years. And fair enough for wanting attacking football but I reckon if we lost because of attacking football, everyone on this forum for example would be calling Moyes reckless and would see it from the opposite point of view.

Now of course I can't say what others would do, but I would not. I would applaud a more attacking approach and I do believe we have the players to do it. The utra-defensive tactics clearly isn't working as we cannot keep a clean sheet if our life depended on it. Rodwell and Fellaini will be tidy in possesion, win you balls and can play ball and score goals, but Moyes never lets them move forward. That effectively means that we play 6-3-1, and when you only have one player who has pace and can keep the ball - Drenthe, you have no effective counter-attack. Moyes is doing the same as he did in 2004-2005, problem is that we don't have the pace of Marcus Bent, the long-range passing of Gravesen or the running of Kilbane which were all instrumental in grinding our results as we had an effective counter-attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.