Match Thread Aston Villa vs Everton. Saturday 14th August 12:30 KO

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too worried by that result or performance. Villa had their strongest team available and I thought they edged it mainly due to the presence of actual strikers on the pitch

If we're persisting with the 3 at the back, we need a focal point up top. We also can't play Gray. He isn't an inside forward and is too selfish to work well with an overlapping full back. Our biggest issue today was that the lack of someone upfront left a huge gap between the forwards and CMs across the pitch that Villa just took control of. The 3 at the back needs two inside forwards playing off someone (Rondon) and I honestly think it needs to be Gordon and McNeil. Now I know neither played well today but I would say Gordon improved with the introduction of Rondon and I would also say it is difficult to judge McNeil due to lack of a striker.

I know there is a clamour to switch to a 4-3-3 from the start but I'm not sure it improves us. The issue for me at the moment is trying to play wingers along with wing backs.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing us switch to 4-3-3 earlier in games when we are behind too. Feels like Frank is making changes far too late.

Must win game against Nott Forest

Pickford

Patterson Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko

Gana Onana

New scoring forward Iwobi Dele

Guirassy

I see the Tom Davies hate squad is out in force today despite him putting in a better midfield performance than Doucoure :coffee:
From the beginning Ings was nailed on to score, as it is a very bad habit he has.

I went Alex Iwobi as MoM, although Patterson and Holgate were contenders. Obviously trying to use 3 wingers as a strike force is never going to work unless they can force enough corners, and any of them can deliver a decent one, for our big lads to attack. I also think Rondon should have been a starter. We did have several chances and a draw would have been a fair result.

Status
Not open for further replies.