2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this Frank’s best team as it stands? If so, that’s 7 players under 26.

Pickford
Patterson Godfrey Mina Tarkowski Mykolenko
Allan Iwobi
McNeil DCL Gordon

Alli, Gray, Rondon providing attacking options off the bench.

Holgate, Keane, Vinagre plus Coleman the defensive depth.

Doucoure, Davies, Warrington midfield depth. I think Warrington has done enough to stay with the senior team this season.

When laid out like that, we clearly need two more mids and another striker to have a complete balanced side.

And in best case scenario if an offer came for one of Holgate or Keane, trying to get Colwill as a younger and potentially better option.

I just like Frank Lampard. I'm kind of sick of the narrative around football about his managerial career. "He doesn't know what he's doing?" "takes the praise when the team does well, throw the team under the bus when it doesn't" "doesn't deserve the big jobs" etc. etc.

Frank Lampard's managerial career pre Everton is average if you ask me, but not at all bad. He finishes about where he expected to for Derby. Did well to get champions league football his first year at Chelsea considering they had a transfer ban. Second season he does less well but still built a team that then went on to win the champions league.

This is neither a spectacular resume or a particularly bad one, but a large majority talk like he's a complete disaster.

Then he joined us, and the situation was bleak. If we didn't have the good start to the season (they were hardly convincing performances) we would have been bottom of the league. We had managed 1 win in about 4 months. The club was in freefall and we were definitely going down if something wasn't changed. Lampard steadied the ship, got big wins against Brentford in the cup and Leeds in the league which showed the players they still had the ability to turn people over. He showed signs of naivety in some tactical decisions and it looked like even this new manager bounce wasn't enough as our form went back to type for a little while. But we rallied again got huge results against United and Chelsea and looked to have the upper hand in the race to survive. We then bottled an away game against Watford and a home game against Brentford and were looking to do the same against Palace. It looked like the good performances against Chelsea and United were for nothing. But we were able to rally again and we came back and won one of the biggest games in our recent history from a losing position (Something we have a shockingly bad record for).

My point with all that is that Lampard repeatedly showed signs he could inject character into a bunch of players that had previously shown none. And I find it bizarre he isn't getting more credit for that. Going back to one of the main narratives I hear outside of our fans that he "takes the praise when the team does well, throw the team under the bus when it doesn't". Maybe the timing wasn't right when he did this after the spurs game as he was probably just as culpable for that result as the players that day. But ultimately, this team needed to start taking accountability for their performances, so I just don't think this argument is valid in this case. He publicly lambasted them and they still managed to dig deep and get us over the line, showing that in some respect they must have agreed.

I hope he gets the signings he needs, so this goodwill can continue from the back end of last season.

I just like Frank Lampard. I'm kind of sick of the narrative around football about his managerial career. "He doesn't know what he's doing?" "takes the praise when the team does well, throw the team under the bus when it doesn't" "doesn't deserve the big jobs" etc. etc.

Frank Lampard's managerial career pre Everton is average if you ask me, but not at all bad. He finishes about where he expected to for Derby. Did well to get champions league football his first year at Chelsea considering they had a transfer ban. Second season he does less well but still built a team that then went on to win the champions league.

This is neither a spectacular resume or a particularly bad one, but a large majority talk like he's a complete disaster.

Then he joined us, and the situation was bleak. If we didn't have the good start to the season (they were hardly convincing performances) we would have been bottom of the league. We had managed 1 win in about 4 months. The club was in freefall and we were definitely going down if something wasn't changed. Lampard steadied the ship, got big wins against Brentford in the cup and Leeds in the league which showed the players they still had the ability to turn people over. He showed signs of naivety in some tactical decisions and it looked like even this new manager bounce wasn't enough as our form went back to type for a little while. But we rallied again got huge results against United and Chelsea and looked to have the upper hand in the race to survive. We then bottled an away game against Watford and a home game against Brentford and were looking to do the same against Palace. It looked like the good performances against Chelsea and United were for nothing. But we were able to rally again and we came back and won one of the biggest games in our recent history from a losing position (Something we have a shockingly bad record for).

My point with all that is that Lampard repeatedly showed signs he could inject character into a bunch of players that had previously shown none. And I find it bizarre he isn't getting more credit for that. Going back to one of the main narratives I hear outside of our fans that he "takes the praise when the team does well, throw the team under the bus when it doesn't". Maybe the timing wasn't right when he did this after the spurs game as he was probably just as culpable for that result as the players that day. But ultimately, this team needed to start taking accountability for their performances, so I just don't think this argument is valid in this case. He publicly lambasted them and they still managed to dig deep and get us over the line, showing that in some respect they must have agreed.

I hope he gets the signings he needs, so this goodwill can continue from the back end of last season.
I think by his own admission he had learnt probably more in the last 6 months in this job than any other. He also acknowledges that he has much to learn but I think this mentality is a good one as he is hungry to succeed is willing to learn from mistakes and grow, hopefully this will rub off on the the team and get us moving in the right direction. If we show a bit of patience I think he could be a good long term fit for our club.

Appears to be a very intense bloke whilst remaining likeable,I like his honesty, doesn't seem to spout BS like most of them and looks to have a great connection with the fan base,I wanted this fella to get our job as soon as he was linked with it as I feel he will progress us albeit maybe slower than the modern day fan requires but also bring through our youth and hand them opportunities "if"he feels they are worthy.

Mcneil looks a shrewd bit of business even though it's early days.

If Frank can find the magic wand that keeps Mina fit, and Kev gets him the 6 he wants, then we are looking a much better prospect than last season.

Mcneil looks a shrewd bit of business even though it's early days.

If Frank can find the magic wand that keeps Mina fit, and Kev gets him the 6 he wants, then we are looking a much better prospect than last season.

On the initial impression, all three signings look like there was a total understanding of why they are needed where they'll play and how they'll integrate into the side - and how that'll alter players we have.

Tarkowski at the back instantly improves Godfrey and brings a calmness there, very very important given both fullbacks are young, and the other cbs need 'leading', McNeil playing on the right will massively help Patterson out - and a great chance the way both play that they'll develop a good chemistry together.

McNeil coming in means Gordon or Dele on the left - given Mykolenko is the better defensive fb of ours that makes sense as he shouldn't need as much help on that side of it

The string link to Gueye also suggests a lot of thought has gone into how it'll effect the rest of the side, and his work rate and underappreciated technical level will hugely effect how we play.

What i like him about him, is he always looks up for a bit of craic and looks to have fun, hes not to serious when he doesnt need to be, good for spirit.

In his playing days mate he wasn't always a saint like, think at least one Chelsea incident and one with England on being caught bevvied up etc - but was never a habit by him like some players.

What i like him about him, is he always looks up for a bit of craic and looks to have fun, hes not to serious when he doesnt need to be, good for spirit.
thanks mate. i don`t get compliments like yours too often. usually they`re abusive and derogatory, your post is really appreciated - thanks again

In his playing days mate he wasn't always a saint like, think at least one Chelsea incident and one with England on being caught bevvied up etc - but was never a habit by him like some players.

I think he has two sides mate, i think he sometimes slips and enjoys being one of the lads, but otherwise i think he can be very much a disciplinarian, work rate, putting it in, in training, fines etc.

Before he came here, i read one or two Harry Redkapps books where he talked of being a player at WHU - its fascinating listening to him talk of Frank Sr. and his work ethic, how he traied twice as hard as anyone and was doing things outside the normal training framework back in the 60s - the rowned spikes. He said he limited talent but maximized it. He talked about how he got a hold of young Frank and was doing exactly the same with him - even made him wear the old spikes, Frank then went on to do that himself as a player, you can see that now in him as a manager - he demands work ethic and people maximize your talent, but he also has that light, personable one of the lads side - that has pro and cons and imaging we will see it less and less as he gets older, but spirit and identity wise it might be what we need right now.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.