Confirmed Signing Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bang on the money.

McNeil keeps the ball, passes, crosses, progressive, good engine. If it allows others in the team to tick (like Pienaar did), which we don't have.

But yeah "goals and assists lad"
I agree, good balance, keeping the ball in tight situations. Vision, selflessness and positioning. I really don’t know how you measure those.

He’s been their best player any time I’ve watched them.

In my opinion Pienaar was then, and seemingly is now, grossly overrated. I never took to him. He was a cog in an average hard working team. Like the similarly lauded Cahill there's a good reason why no club ever came in for them (the Spurs/Pienaar transfer proves the point).
It’s about how you use the players though. Spurs at the time we’re all about pace in attack down the flanks, which was never Pienaars game. But his clever link up play and ball retention was top notch. Perfect foil for Baines.

It’s about how you use the players though. Spurs at the time we’re all about pace in attack down the flanks, which was never Pienaars game. But his clever link up play and ball retention was top notch. Perfect foil for Baines.

He had a good couple of champions league games with Spurs and got injured.

I agree, good balance, keeping the ball in tight situations. Vision, selflessness and positioning. I really don’t know how you measure those.

He’s been their best player any time I’ve watched them.
You haven't watched Burnley much over the last 2 seasons absolutely shocking

Spoke to my Burnley supporting mate who said Cornet was ‘100 times better’. And McNeil is inconsistent and anonymous too often.

Not expecting huge things tbh.

4 4 2 mate.

9 goals. 1 assist. Stood up top and waited for the ball. Nowhere near the amount of touches, passes, and creative play than McNeil.
Screenshot_20220728-181420.png

Think we need a bit of perspective here. The lad broke into a very defensive bottom half side at 18 and for his first three seasons was averaging 3 goals 5 assists, last year when the team fell off a cliff his return dipped badly (was probably a key reason they got relegated).
We all seem to be fine with young players having low returns and not overplaying them, yet no consideration seems to be made for a lad that has played near every game as two and a half seasons.
Cant see him setting the world alight, but then again aside from James i dont think we've had a truly world class player since Rooney left so dont know why we seem to think we should be signing them anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.