• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hate to do this but Muslim players across the park have literally taken part in the rainbow laces campaign for a few seasons now. Probably some of the most high profile Muslim players in world football as well. So it’s really not an excuse. Especially when one of those players is also from Senegal so any talk about “his country will disown him” or “that’s how he was brought up” is laughable.

I would argue in the past it was possible (naive perhaps but possible) to believe that someone, despite having a certain background due to their religious upbringing or country of origin, could still be given the benefit of the doubt because adopting the “all Muslims are homophobes” mentality is not helping anybody. The fact is his stance is perfectly clear now and should not be something associated with the club.
Yep, gotta lead by example... alls Gana did was dip out of one game... theres some bad examples of active wrong-uns in far higher positions.
Just out of interest, how many of his immediate and extended family live back home in Senegal? What might his position do to their standing in their respective communities?

Boo!! Hiss!! outrage!! etc...
Alls we 'know' is he dipped out of one game. Granted when the gutter press got hold they stoked up some division. Then fellow players, believers, supporters, Senegalese, started the online support thing.

Guilty by media having never made a sound. <-- Dangerous this.

Get him back so long as it's cheap and he's on old man's wages. Will do a job until ffp or whatever releases its noose. We need action in midfield.

As for the rest of the baggage- I don't agree with his view, but I agree with his right to have it.
Serious question, can you conceive of any beliefs or practices that you wouldn't agree with someone having/doing?

Yes please. Even if we only got a year out of him it would be worth it. Mops up pretty much everything in the middle which is something we have badly been missing and also has the ability of box to box although maybe not as much so now. He would basically be his own replacement as we never even came close to it. Make it happen imo.

Here's the fun thing about this "debate": you get to pick whether you're an Islamophobe or a homophobe - cos you're either one or t'other, and neither are very Guardian-friendly last time I checked lol
Which is what happens when we start demonizing anyone who disagrees with us.

The religion argument falls away the minute a person's belief either directly or indirectly project, validate or fail to condemn any discriminatory attitude towards others for their protected characteristics.

There are countless heinous beliefs and practices that form part of someone's 'religious beliefs'. It's not an argument.
This is its own form of intolerance.

Serious question, can you conceive of any beliefs or practices that you wouldn't agree with someone having/doing?
I suspect that murder and rape will end up on everyone's list.

I am completely supportive of LGBTQ+ Rights. I support any campaigns the club/league rollout to challenge homophobia and promote diversity and inclusivity.

But i also respect that everyone isn't the same as me and theres a diverse world of cultures, faiths etc. out there in the world. So i don't think players should be forced to participate if they don't wish too.

I think refusal to support a campaign is completely different to hate speech or homophobia. He is entitled to his beliefs. We shouldn't expect everyone to conform to our way of thinking.

Look at the abuse James Mc Clean has faced for years over refusal to wear the poppy.

I really hate to do this but Muslim players across the park have literally taken part in the rainbow laces campaign for a few seasons now. Probably some of the most high profile Muslim players in world football as well. So it’s really not an excuse. Especially when one of those players is also from Senegal so any talk about “his country will disown him” or “that’s how he was brought up” is laughable.

I would argue in the past it was possible (naive perhaps but possible) to believe that someone, despite having a certain background due to their religious upbringing or country of origin, could still be given the benefit of the doubt because adopting the “all Muslims are homophobes” mentality is not helping anybody. The fact is his stance is perfectly clear now and should not be something associated with the club.
I believe salah has, did Mane? I can't see anything about him wearing the laces.

tumblr_m5mcflILP01qfeknio1_500.gif

No it isn't. I'm not bigoted or prejudiced in the slightest. I have friends and family of all creeds, colours and sexuality. I like most of them. Some of them I'm really not bothered about. All I'm saying is that it's difficult to accept something if your devout in your religion and that belief informs you that something isn't right. If we start telling people that they must belive in this and they must believe in that then aren't we the bigots. All I'm saying is. Everybody's got a right to believe in what they want, but, and this is where Gana is wrong, shouldn't try to impose that belief on others or did he do that, or was he expressing and opinion. There is no room in modern society for prejudice in anyway shape or form and that includes trying to tell someone that they shouldn't believe in this or that because that's oppression.
I was referring to the bigotry towards the RS being shocking tbf

Which is what happens when we start demonizing anyone who disagrees with us.

This is its own form of intolerance.

I suspect that murder and rape will end up on everyone's list.
Absolutely. There are numerous things that I am personally, and we as a society are, intolerant of and rightly so.

I don't understand why anyone should have a belief forced upon them. If he doesn't want to support the LBGTQ then he doesn't need to?

Why is anyone publicly required to support something that they don't believe in?

Now this decision is effecting his work opportunities.

From a footballing point of view, its a great decision to bring him back, he knows the club, understands the fans and financially allows us to use the money elsewhere.

What do you mean belief/believe in? Since when were LGBT people some kind of mythical thing like Bigfoot? They’re people just like everyone else.

And yes if he wants to be a disgusting bigot then his work opportunities should be effected.

If it is illegal in his country he could be worried about backlash against his family anything , I’ll bet no one here complaining lives in any of these country’s so we don’t know what it’s like like I said yesterday different story if he was out in the open abusing people , reading some of these comments it’s just another excuse for people to try and out do each other with there fake fume

Irrelevant imo as we aren't talking about race. However, if you were to push me I'll kinda answer. There is 100% certainty racists are currently playing in the PL today. It's simply that we don't hear their views. In this case we are talking about a guy hugely influenced by his religion/culture. As long as he can tolerate LGBTQ then that's fine by me. We used the world 'tolerance' within my adult life. Tolerance is what I'd expect at a minimum, even if he disagrees with a certain lifestyle.

Tolerance isn't downing tools and refusing to play because there is a rainbow flag on the kit.

At a club where a large section of fans slate players for unconventional clothing styles or posing for a picture during their off-time it's amazing how willing, or tolerant, some are of a player who has refused to play because of their homophobic views.

We are signing a footballer.
If clubs could not sign players whose beliefs were contrary to the opinions of some section of society I don't think a club would be able to field a team.

A footballer with a history of downing tools because of homophobia. There's no hiding behind religious beliefs - I'm no expert but I'm sure the kits he has happily wore in the past had features that go against Muslim beliefs.

He doesn't exactly have much of a choice there though, does he? unless he accepts actual club sponsorships then he ain't playing any football at all...

He has a choice. More than 99.99999999999% of the world lives their entire life without playing professional football. And when he left Villa I'm sure there would have been a move available somewhere that didn't prominently feature an alcoholic brand on the front of their shirt. And the option to go public and state discomfort with a certain sponsor is something that top level players probably have a little more freedom and power to speak out against regardless of it being on religious, moral or any other grounds.

Of course that's a ridiculously moralistic argument and everyone lives their lives with a certain degree of hypocrisy - it's pretty much impossible not to. But literally refusing to play because of a rainbow on the shirt is outright homophobia and it being justified with pick-and-choose "religious beliefs" is shameless.

As for having a family member who doesn't have some kind of disability. You don't know anything about my personal life and don't know what me and my family have had to suffer and experience on a daily basis.
Honestly never intended to imply I did. Was merely pointing out that some opinions are not 'harmless'.

I am also sorry that you or your family have/are going through stuff. Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.