• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird take. Has any African player in the premier league refused to wear rainbow laces for example? Even if they have, it’s never been publicised whereas with Gueye the facts are all there.

Are you saying people should be fine with a a known homophobe who hides behind idiotic religious beliefs as a justification for his discriminatory, totally incorrect views?
Here's the fun thing about this "debate": you get to pick whether you're an Islamophobe or a homophobe - cos you're either one or t'other, and neither are very Guardian-friendly last time I checked lol

The religion argument falls away for me when you remember he was perfectly happy to wear a SportPesa shirt here
The religion argument falls away the minute a person's belief either directly or indirectly project, validate or fail to condemn any discriminatory attitude towards others for their protected characteristics.

There are countless heinous beliefs and practices that form part of someone's 'religious beliefs'. It's not an argument.

You obviously haven't a family member who qualifies for facial reconstruction surgery after being assaulted by people who have this 'opinion'.

These opinions filter down and empowers and enables lowlife who think they have 'right' on their side.

Your 'bigotry' comparison is, quite frankly, shocking!
No it isn't. I'm not bigoted or prejudiced in the slightest. I have friends and family of all creeds, colours and sexuality. I like most of them. Some of them I'm really not bothered about. All I'm saying is that it's difficult to accept something if your devout in your religion and that belief informs you that something isn't right. If we start telling people that they must belive in this and they must believe in that then aren't we the bigots. All I'm saying is. Everybody's got a right to believe in what they want, but, and this is where Gana is wrong, shouldn't try to impose that belief on others or did he do that, or was he expressing and opinion. There is no room in modern society for prejudice in anyway shape or form and that includes trying to tell someone that they shouldn't believe in this or that because that's oppression.

I'm saying the vast majority of Muslim players are in the same boat, so to use it as a stick to only beat one of those Muslim players with is pretty hypocritical IMO.

For what it's worth - I disagree with that stance myself and when the reports came out it didn't look great for him, but he was here for a few years and fans loved him despite carrying those same views throughout... so what's really changed??
I really hate to do this but Muslim players across the park have literally taken part in the rainbow laces campaign for a few seasons now. Probably some of the most high profile Muslim players in world football as well. So it’s really not an excuse. Especially when one of those players is also from Senegal so any talk about “his country will disown him” or “that’s how he was brought up” is laughable.

I would argue in the past it was possible (naive perhaps but possible) to believe that someone, despite having a certain background due to their religious upbringing or country of origin, could still be given the benefit of the doubt because adopting the “all Muslims are homophobes” mentality is not helping anybody. The fact is his stance is perfectly clear now and should not be something associated with the club.

Here's the fun thing about this "debate": you get to pick whether you're an Islamophobe or a homophobe - cos you're either one or t'other, and neither are very Guardian-friendly last time I checked lol

If I had to choose I know which one I’d rather be.

It's still an opinion. We can't all agree on everything. We can't be made to believe in something if we believe in something else. I personally am a very open person and have no prejudices at all but once we start telling people you've got to like this and you've got to believe in that, we then become the oppressors.
Homophobia, just like racism, isn't an opinion, it's a reprehensible action sanctioned by law.

You obviously haven't a family member who qualifies for facial reconstruction surgery after being assaulted by people who have this 'opinion'.

These opinions filter down and empowers and enables lowlife who think they have 'right' on their side.

Your 'bigotry' comparison is, quite frankly, shocking!
As for having a family member who doesn't have some kind of disability. You don't know anything about my personal life and don't know what me and my family have had to suffer and experience on a daily basis.

Sorry to hear that but this is to the extreme though?

This is part of his religion? I'm not advocating it, i just dont think its a reason not to sign him.
I'm definitely not saying that he is a direct cause. No way. But it empowers idiots who are the direct cause.

Religion is not harmless if it actively discriminates against a section of society. If one of your kids is directly affected (maybe they are, for all I know), it's difficult to support someone who believes they are a lesser person.

Homophobia, just like racism, isn't an opinion, it's a reprehensible action sanctioned by law.
That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There's lots of laws that we don't even know about but I bet we don't agree with them all and indeed have got a very alternative view about them if we looked int them properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.