Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
PL deals are a risk for a club in our financial position. They cost much more than if you can find someone unproven from elsewhere. When was last time we found someone from a club outside England, developed them and made a solid profit? I'm sure there is an example but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

Yes ideally we could sign players who could walk into the team against Chelsea, and be right up to speed with the Premier League. But we don't have the money for that, so is it really sensible to keep exploring deals for players at other PL clubs, and find ourselves going up dead ends?
The flip side for a club of our financial predicament is that clubs in Europe can still ask for big money from PL sides and are we in that position to take the risk on if they don't work out against a 'sure fire' thing if you get me.

We're just in a crap position, but I'd have no issue with signing Dendoncker, for example, even though he's a PL player, if the deal was right. And if the deal was right - say £15m - then I'd argue that's a better way to spend it right now for our needs than the same amount on Mo Camara from Salzburg, even though I really rate the latter. I've probably just been burned by the Kean and Gbamin window. But ideally, I just want good players on good deals for the club - I could care less what league they come from.

Why would they sell him for £10 million?
Because he's got one year left on his deal so I think a £10m up front payment with add ons (probably easily attainable ones) could get them to the table if they aren't in talks over a new deal etc. Or you go in with £15m, that ball park anyway.

Dendoncker's a decent player but he's not first choice midfield there unless they play a 3. Depends how much money Wolves need.

Of course, there is an option on Dendoncker's deal but the reports haven't specified if that's a club option or player option.

So the Newcastle purchase of Nick Pope was done on instalments, which Burnley are then borrowing on to get the money up front. Presumably we are looking to structure the Cornet deal similarly, but I imagine they are holding out on us since they feel we screwed them. Still, shows it's not uncommon for deals to be done that way, even with Newcastle's much higher budget.

All transfers are paid in instalments though. The oddity here is Burnley financing the future payments for capital now.

The rumours about their new owners using the club as collateral to fund their purchase (a la Glazers at Old Trafford) meaning they're not actually investing anything, but servicing managed debt would be highly likely based on this.

This has been confusing me tbh, as I thought the same, but apparently we are trying to do everything this summer with very low up front payments. It's quite possible cash flow is an issue too if Moshiri has decided to put his wallet away pending a sale. That said there must be some advantage to doing it in instalments, whether FFP or something else, because Newcastle clearly have no issues with cash flow but are choosing to do transfers this way.
It is always good to keep cash going out at a minimum, that is just prudent business. But most clubs would prefer not to have instalments as they tend to incur additional costs and as such it is better to pay upfront when u can, particularly when buying from a club with less financial clout. As for Newcastle, PIF own Newcastle and PIF is very well funded, that doesn't necessarily make Newcastle well funded though. PIF has huge commitments, not least Neom which is costing them 500 Billion. I think the media like to think Toon has unlimited money and the Toon fans fall the rhetoric as it is what they want to hear but I suspect Toon doesn't have the cash available to them that many think they have.
I think the bigger worry for Everton fans is the potential impact of losing Usmanov's cash rather than FFP. It is looking more and more like he was funding a lot of what was happening and Moshiri was just the glamorous chick to put in front of the camera.

All transfers are paid in instalments though. The oddity here is Burnley financing the future payments for capital now.

The rumours about their new owners using the club as collateral to fund their purchase (a la Glazers at Old Trafford) meaning they're not actually investing anything, but servicing managed debt would be highly likely based on this.
I don't believe it is a rumour that is how Burnley was purchased, I believe that is in the public record as how it was funded. Apparently, the new owners had loans, in Burnley's name, which had to be paid immediately upon relegation and that is why they are cashing in. Clubs should not be allowed to be sold when the funding of the acquisition uses the club as collateral. Fit and proper owner again showing it doesn't work.

Yeah, I thought as much re instalments, but it seems to have been made a bit of a big deal of that we are trying to do deals like MGW or Cornet on instalments. Maybe more of a surprise that Burnley would reject such a deal from us, but then that could be down to the bad blood.

The way they've been purchased and run is very shoddy indeed, I'd be worried for them if they weren't such a horrible club.

I really like Dendoncker, think he'd be a very shrewd signing if for around £15m and on a 3 year deal.

He's a purely defensive-midfielder who has shown he can play as centre-back as well (in a 2 or 3). Out-and-out ball-winner, he adds nothing at all creatively (that's a GIGANTIC hole we have to fill) but we need someone to go in that middle-three and just get bloody stuck in also. He'd do that, a real steady-eddy player. Reminds me a bit of Carlsey actually, never a headline-grabber but by-God did he do some absolutely vital jobs in the side.

Lage tried him as a box-to-box type last year and it was obviously not what he was suited too so don't let any recent stats be how you judge him. I think he'd be solid as a rock for us.

Dendonker and Gilmour on loan would infinitely improve our options at DM

Because he's got one year left on his deal so I think a £10m up front payment with add ons (probably easily attainable ones) could get them to the table if they aren't in talks over a new deal etc. Or you go in with £15m, that ball park anyway.

Dendoncker's a decent player but he's not first choice midfield there unless they play a 3. Depends how much money Wolves need.

Of course, there is an option on Dendoncker's deal but the reports haven't specified if that's a club option or player option.
He has one year left but Wolves have an option of a further year so he effectively has two years left, hence they are under no pressure to sell this window

Status
Not open for further replies.