Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

How is everyone doing? I've had a pretty rubbish last 6 months, to say the least. Mostly related to my physical health, which, in turn, is having an effect on my mental health. Firstly, I had a nasty bout of Covid 19 which left me with recurring stomach/bowel problems which have been pretty unpleasant. I'm fairly sure my marriage is starting to fall apart around me. My wife can barely talk to me in a civil manner, regardless of what I do. We're now on a 3 week holiday which has turned into a nightmare, I have suspected nerve compression in my spine which has left me semi-paralysed from the neck down. I can barely walk and i rely on crutches to get me moving around more than a few feet. I ended up in a French hospital where they thought I had had a stroke, but my MRI was clear, thankfully. I don't really know what to do next, if I'm being honest. I don't have much in the way of family and I'm terrified of having to move out of the family home, where my son is. Any advice would be great.

How is everyone doing? I've had a pretty rubbish last 6 months, to say the least. Mostly related to my physical health, which, in turn, is having an effect on my mental health. Firstly, I had a nasty bout of Covid 19 which left me with recurring stomach/bowel problems which have been pretty unpleasant. I'm fairly sure my marriage is starting to fall apart around me. My wife can barely talk to me in a civil manner, regardless of what I do. We're now on a 3 week holiday which has turned into a nightmare, I have suspected nerve compression in my spine which has left me semi-paralysed from the neck down. I can barely walk and i rely on crutches to get me moving around more than a few feet. I ended up in a French hospital where they thought I had had a stroke, but my MRI was clear, thankfully. I don't really know what to do next, if I'm being honest. I don't have much in the way of family and I'm terrified of having to move out of the family home, where my son is. Any advice would be great.
So sorry to read that you are having such a hard time. Good news that your MRI came back clear though.I am sure someone will be along soon with some great advice on how you can move forward and I truly wish I could be of more help but I can only offer you my best wishes and say that I hope you are able to make the most of the rest of your holiday with your son.?

I‘m really sorry to hear about what you’re going through mate, both physically and mentally.

As Gwladys says above, I’m sure someone who’s been through similar problems at home, will offer some good words of advice mate.

From having had a few mates, who’ve been in relationships that have turned nasty, the best thing I’d advice you to do at this stage, is seek legal advice as to where you stand, with regards to your son, the house and bills etc.

Some of it may come as a shock to you, but at least you’ll know what potentially could be coming your way and you can start planning for the eventuality, that things could come to an end.

Sorry to hear all this mate. My marriage fell apart a year back.. I'm out the other side now and life is good and I'm enjoying the freedom. Whilst it's easy to say my personal belief (and everyone is different) is that if you're in an unhappy relationship you need to get out of it. You're only here once. Moving out the family home will be tough to begin with but just make sure your son knows you love him. I wish you all the best mate. I had a real tough time with it but my life is immeasurably better without her.

I‘m really sorry to hear about what you’re going through mate, both physically and mentally.

As Gwladys says above, I’m sure someone who’s been through similar problems at home, will offer some good words of advice mate.

From having had a few mates, who’ve been in relationships that have turned nasty, the best thing I’d advice you to do at this stage, is seek legal advice as to where you stand, with regards to your son, the house and bills etc.

Some of it may come as a shock to you, but at least you’ll know what potentially could be coming your way and you can start planning for the eventuality, that things could come to an end.
I totally get where you are coming from mate. I think it's a good idea to be pragmatic about these things sometimes. Thanks for the kind words mate ?

Just worked it out that it’s been 183 days since I had a bet. Since then I’ve lost a stone, saved up 7k towards a mortgage, built a gaming PC and focused on it as a hobby and we’ve set a date for the wedding. Just thought I’d update with it being past 6 months! A long long time. Times when I have wanted to but haven’t come close to having a bet of any kind.

it doesn’t solve my other mental problems. I still have had and still have really low, isolated, lonely, depressing days and god knows my fiancé is a saint for understanding. The difference is I don’t distract from it by sitting on bet366 gambling. I feel how I feel and it doesn’t get made worse by a bad bet, or a miss in football that should have been scored. The bad mood doesn’t get amplified by the football events. It should be you put on a bet on, you see if it win or loses, no issue either way. Not how it is in reality as I’m sure many know.

mrs says I should see a doctor but I have so little trust in them from past experiences. Feel very isolated, hated, disliked by many and excluded most of the time. I can’t say I have any real friends apart from my mrs so it can pile on sometimes and goes from 10 to 100mph in how it feels, but it’s not made 10x worse by using gambling as a crutch.

trying to take some sort of proudness or joy in the fact I’m 6 months ‘clean’ from a nasty, nasty habit.

Moving on from this, I dipped back into it after this period, gradually getting worse. and on 13th July 2021, decided enoughs enough, really pushed myself to sort it out.

292226110_10167023674510457_1688055127333018608_n.jpg

delighted that today marks a year of no gambling and I set the app at £10 per day so roughly £3.5k saved in a year. Really looked forward to this point and have been counting the days. Over the moon.

Moving on from this, I dipped back into it after this period, gradually getting worse. and on 13th July 2021, decided enoughs enough, really pushed myself to sort it out.

View attachment 173522

delighted that today marks a year of no gambling and I set the app at £10 per day so roughly £3.5k saved in a year. Really looked forward to this point and have been counting the days. Over the moon.

Well done mate, made up for you ;)

Ask your mrs does she remember the words, in sickness and in health.

View attachment 173522

Wow, Congratulations on your fantastic achievement.

View attachment 173522

That's absolutely brilliant mate. You should be really proud of yourself. Congratulations. Always heart warming to read of someone turning their life around. Made up for you.