Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
One transfer is not indicative of an entire window's strategy.

You want to recruit names. Simple as that.

Equally simply put, Tarkowski was the right target for strengthening central defence, because we have to shift some high-earning dross like Mina and Keane but we need a calm, experienced senior player in that area (ie NOT a 20 - 24 year old). Now unless you can back up your earlier claim that he's on the same money as Yerry Mina, please give it a rest.
I fully agree with you, but I genuinely see no scenario when we sell any of Keane, Holgate or Mina, such a shame. Would happily sell all three of them.

Yes a lot in that. We need to get better at the latter point, which hopefully is what Thelwell is looking to do.

I agree with being tougher negotiators too. Not only does it help fiscally, but it also helps weed out players in it for the cash over those genuinely interested. I dont think we are that unattractive, look at Palace, having had years of Hodgson, yet in one summer just rebuilt.

We have to be more stringent though. Under Moyes we were frugal. We hated it, but we dont have top 6 money. You regain a reputation in football (or in anything really) by saying no a lot more. We started doing it last summer and hopefully that can continue. If you have that approach, it filters into all negotiations, including salary and length of contract.

I also agree, we will do business later. I always think we will. Ultimately theres a food chain, and almost everybody is waiting for other offers. It happens. We do it almost every summer, and honestly it rarely costs us. The one season we didnt do that-17/18 we had our worst recruitment on record. So buying early doesnt always mean buying well.

I'm happy we are playing hardball. The club offered 4m with add ons for KLP, which was probably a bit low, you might say insultingly low, but maybe that's the mentality we need now. To find 10 lads of equivalent profile, throw in 10 ridiculous bids, and 1 will get accepted? It may be, that for us, 15m rising to 20m is just too much. Theres some projection from me on what I want it to be, but that would be my hope.
Good points well made. I just hope they are being creative behind the scenes. We are restrained but that doesn't have to mean we have no options.

The name of the man who said it escapes me, it was Monaco's DoF (not Mitchell, the current one). He said they can't compete financially but they have to search out every other way to compete by other means. We have to have that approach.

Let’s hope we don’t rock up all season with 2 in midfield
Logic says we won't.

Our two best current midfielders appear to be Iwobi and Doucore, neither of whom have ever looked remotely comfortable in a two. Neither of the next two players in the queue (Allan and Davies at the moment) do either. But they can all look serviceable in a three man shape.

So either we sell them ALL (including Gomes and Gbamin) and buy four new CMs who can all perform in a two man shape, or we sell the worst couple (Gomes +1) and bring in two who can slot in as starters in a three man midfield.

Our current finances combined with our needs elsewhere mean that we need to upgrade in a precise, surgical and cost-effective manner. There's no point sorting out midfield in a way that leaves us no means to recruit someone else to play as a wide forward on the right.

I fully agree with you, but I genuinely see no scenario when we sell any of Keane, Holgate or Mina, such a shame. Would happily sell all three of them.
I'll be astonished if we don't sell Mina. He simply doesn't play enough games for the money he's on.

Keane could leave tomorrow and we wouldn't miss him.

I don't see how we can recruit sufficient midfielders without one of the above leaving. They're two of our bigger earners.

Good points well made. I just hope they are being creative behind the scenes. We are restrained but that doesn't have to mean we have no options.

The name of the man who said it escapes me, it was Monaco's DoF (not Mitchell, the current one). He said they can't compete financially but they have to search out every other way to compete by other means. We have to have that approach.

Yes it's a really apt phrase, and I would certainly like to see more of that rhetoric/thinking from the club. We seem to lurch between fatalism and arrogance depending on the moment. Either wanting to prove how rich we are, or then bemoaning the lack of resource we have. I don't think either gets us anyywhere.

I was reading Warren Buffet's early letters to shareholders recently, of a small fund, with lots of disadvantages. It's really clear in what the weaknesses were, what the strengths were, and how they would develop an approach that would limit weaknesses and maximise strengths.

I think we need something similar here, and a big part of that is to have quite tight fiscal constrain over recruitment.

I’ll hit the vaults Zat to prove you wrong, and shame a few.

Don’t make me do it

Not one person got excited over signing Bolasie

I'd be surprised if the general consensus when those two were announced wasn't at least mildly negative towards Bolasie, and that Sigurdsson was good but we've paid about £20m too much.

@MikelsGoat was very excited about Bolasie...he was using the word "fam" a lot.

I imagine @MKEvertonian and @TheBigIguana were also chuffed with that signing.

I'd be surprised if the general consensus when those two were announced wasn't at least mildly negative towards Bolasie, and that Sigurdsson was good but we've paid about £20m too much.
I remember thise purchases well; the majority called out Bolasie, but there were a who were genuinely excited. Mainly based on the evidence that he used to tear us to shreds

The Gylfi one; nah, everyone shot me down telling me about all the goals and he assists and how wonderful he is.

I'll be astonished if we don't sell Mina. He simply doesn't play enough games for the money he's on.

Keane could leave tomorrow and we wouldn't miss him.

I don't see how we can recruit sufficient midfielders without one of the above leaving. They're two of our bigger earners.
Agree but you can only sell if there is a willing buyer.

Our lot are either so crap that no one will touch them with a barge pole and you have to wait for them to be out of contract to get rid or paid disporopotionately too high a wage that clubs who might want to take a punt ( Mina , Allan etc ) cannot afford to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.