Best performance by an opposition player vs Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Juan Sebastian Veron. He seemingly had one blinder in English football and it was against us.

Also I remember Gordon Strachan not breaking a stride when a wayward pass to him went behind him and he backhealed it over his head and back into his run to the stadium all applauding. Just a particularly vivid memory of an opponent's skill.

There's been quite a few.
If you mean the away game in 2001, then I was there (on my birthday) and totally agree with you. He totally dominated midfield and seemed to have so much tone the ball, ran the show brilliantly. A great player, just not that suited to the prem, really.

Atlantas centre-forward,big lad whose name escapes me, absolutely mullered us when they caned us home and away in the Europa.

Bergkamp and Fabregas regularly made me sit back and think “ we’re getting schooled, but Christ they’re great to watch”.

Andrea Petagna - one of my fave players, so unique.
That’s the fella. He got sold on the season after I think.

Remember there were more Atlanta fans at GP for the second leg than Blues....the Paddock was teaming with them

Not an individual game but the player I’ve been most consistently impressed with was David Silva, such a class act of vision, technique and timing. A magnificent footballer. A treat to watch him live.

Some of the ones that sprint to mind right now were Robinho for City, not a great success at City, but took the p*ss out our defence, especially Hibbert; Ferdinand hat trick at Goodison when QPR looked a top side for a few weeks; a young Gascoigne making our champions-elects midfield looking pedestrian and Kuczczak having a blinder in goal for West Brom.

Tragically this is true. Rooney, kanchelskis and James probably the only world class players I’ve seen us have.
It is a shame that younger folks never got to see the likes of Southall, Ball, Reid, Sheedy, Labone, Ratcliffe, Cahill, Dobbo, Harvey, Steven, Latchford, Nevin, Lineker, Wilson, etc from past times. If they had, they'd know that the crap we are watching now shows how far standards have dropped. Some of these names weren't "World Class" as such but they were part of the backbone of good Everton teams.

Juan Sebastian Veron. He seemingly had one blinder in English football and it was against us.

Also I remember Gordon Strachan not breaking a stride when a wayward pass to him went behind him and he backhealed it over his head and back into his run to the stadium all applauding. Just a particularly vivid memory of an opponent's skill.

There's been quite a few.
I remember a pre season friendly at home to Dundee. Strachan was outstanding, had a great game and I thought we should buy him, needless to say the rest is history. Everton that.

Status
Not open for further replies.