Best Everton player you have watched in you lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arteta was boss on his day, even when he went into "crab" mode. Lukaku up there, cahill too for his desire more than anything, but for me would have to be James Rodriguez. Even in the short time he was here his wizardry was clear to see, that touch and pass for the goal at the pit was sublime. The first 5 or 6 games of the season where opponents didn't know what he was about and he was just strolling about smashing crossfield passes out to richy or Digne with the outside of his left peg. Yeah that was pretty special.

Going to leave southall out of this because he is the most obvious. A lot of the side around that time could get mentioned.

Most important. Peter Reid. Not only a tidy player but Everton bossed many games because of him.

Most explosive. Kanchelskis.

Most talented. Beardsley gets a nod.

But the most talented player i have ever seen in a blue shirt is Anders limpar. Quickest feet i have seen. Weighted every pass to perfection. The elland road semi final has to be one of the best individual performances ive seen from an Everton player.

Brett Angell.. now that was a transfer ?
Don't forget that clown from Blackburn who, I recall, only had the shirt on his back for something like 14 (?) minutes before getting sent off against the RS.

But to answer the question I would also say Ball and Southall (although the whole 1984 - 87 squad(s) were exceptional and played with a never say die spirit and attitude, something sadly missing for too many of the years ever since.

I'll go along this route.
Attacker: Andy Gray - an absolute beast in the '84-'85 season (upset a few Germans as well! :D)
Midfield: Alan Ball (abslutely no equal)
Defender: Derek Mountfield (HE was the rock of our defence in the mid-'80s successful team, and show me another defender who could combine that with scoring in double figures!)
Goalkeeper - Neville Southall (no contest).

I’m 40, so I’m just a hair too young to clearly remember the 85/87 teams.

In terms of pure unadulterated talent, James has to be up there, albeit briefly. In terms of effectiveness and impact on the game, Kanchelskis.

Setting aside Southall, as it’s pretty much impossible to compare keepers with outfield players.
I'm 40 as well and although I remember Kanchelskis I never seen him live. I couldn't wait to watch Match of the day when we won at Anfield with him.
It has to be Wayne Rooney for me. That goal at Elland Road was just fantastic. Even better than the one verses Arsenal for me.
I thought Franny Jeffers was a future superstar as well and I was gutted when he left.

I'm 40 as well and although I remember Kanchelskis I never seen him live. I couldn't wait to watch Match of the day when we won at Anfield with him.
It has to be Wayne Rooney for me. That goal at Elland Road was just fantastic. Even better than the one verses Arsenal for me.
I thought Franny Jeffers was a future superstar as well and I was gutted when he left.
Rooney was incredible for getting people off their seat, just by the ball going to him.

Problem was I honestly think he made the team worse, though not through any fault of his own. It’s maybe the only time I’ve ever seen a team of players who would give the ball to a specific player and then just stop and watch to see what he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.