2021/22 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we sign Winks he'll be a hate figure within two months, he's not what we need and he's not worth the fee, the wages or the contract length it would take to sign him.

I'm hoping that kinda of mentality will change after last season.

I think a ball carrier who is consistent, solid, and can pick the ball up from the defence, is robust, and isn't injury prone is 100% is exactly what we need.

He lost his place to Hojberg who coincidentally would've change our midfield woes if he chose us over Spurs a few years back. He's not as combative as Hojberg or Skipp...but because he's not Henoz Winkez we're quick to jump on him as being "not good enough"

We almost got relegated. He's played champions league football and was an international.

I think a ball carrier who is consistent, solid, and can pick the ball up from the defence, is robust, and isn't injury prone is 100% is exactly what we need.

He lost his place to Hojberg who coincidentally would've change our midfield woes if he chose us over Spurs a few years back. He's not as combative as Hojberg or Skipp...but because he's not Henoz Winkez we're quick to jump on him as being "not good enough"

We almost got relegated. He's played champions league football and was an international.

So did his mirror image T Cleverly and look how that one worked out.

Spurs have got a 57% win percentage in Premier League matches when Winks plays (128 games).

Dele has a 54% win percentage in 192 Pemier League matches (includes EFC games).
What's the feeling down there with the Erikson links? Happy? Would you want him back?

What's the feeling down there with the Erikson links? Happy? Would you want him back?

Most would take him back. Spoiled his rep a bit with his go slow in the last season and a half (seemingly trying to not get injured) but even then his stats were surprisingly good.

Reactions: JLW

Due to the managers involved, there's seldom any manager who has managed Spurs in the last few years that actually made any non-defensive-midfielder look good. Pochettino lost the plot in the league from around Feb 2019 until he was binned, then Mourinho basically used CMs as extra defenders, then Nuno Santo was even worse, and so far Conte just plays down the wings.

Surely no possible coincidence that in that time frame (Feb 2019 to date) minus the short Ryan Mason caretaker stint, where almost every single non-defensive CM looked awful:
- Winks
- Ndombele
- Lo Celso
- Eriksen
- Dele (minus a bit where Jose first arrived)
- probably some others here

And then the Hojbjerg/Skipp/Sissoko types - all players who are basically body-on-the-line athletes who don't create play - suddenly look good?

Not saying Winks is a Countinho or anything, but feels a bit like blaming sports cars for getting stuck in the mud when the track is made of dirt. He's made over 100 appearances since the start of 2019, and seems to me like he's just not suited to the counter attacking football that's basically been there the whole time, rather than suddenly not being good enough (when 100 appearances around the company of the above players is surely testament to that?).

Unless you want to pay £40-50m for your ex-liverpool or Chelsea "starlets" who haven't even had a purple patch to refer to (although that's probably what Frank is aiming for) then fans have to be a bit less fickle and see the potential in paying less. It's not even like Winks is in the Drinkwater/Barclay/Delph box of "broken bodies", or one of those players who conned his way into being an accessory at United like Cleverly or Januzaj

Status
Not open for further replies.