Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dspends whether they play for Everton or not, I mean James Milner.... He's a rain sight older than 32.. Anyone can get injuries and I've given you a younger centre half, who plays for our club, with a much, much worse injury record than Tarkowski. Who you have now convinced yourself and forecast will have a muscle strain. Any numbers for the lottery this week Iggy ? You are now the forums in house clairvoyant, thanks in advance.
Mate it is totally possible Tarkowski is just as good at 33 as he is at 29. I just wouldn't bet on it without getting pretty juiced up odds. Which to me means as a club we shouldn't bet on it.

Probably worth noting Milner hasn't played over 2000 minutes since 2016/17. He stays fit because they have enough depth to use him sparingly.

didnt do Burnley much good!
and what would be the point in swapping pickford in goals for pope, their fees wouldnt be a lot different so not like we'd make much money on the deals.
Well the point would be what you highlighted in my post mate! The bit about dealing with crosses and actually catching high balls..

I’m a fan of Pickford but he is awful under a cross, simples.

Mate it is totally possible Tarkowski is just as good at 33 as he is at 29. I just wouldn't bet on it without getting pretty juiced up odds. Which to me means as a club we shouldn't bet on it.

Probably worth noting Milner hasn't played over 2000 minutes since 2016/17. He stays fit because they have enough depth to use him sparingly.

centre halves do tend to get better with age, because a good central defender needs to be able to read the game, be in the right position, sense danger, that comes with age, experience. Not saying he's the best because he isn't, but I have have you the example of Mina, who is younger and has a terrible injury record, you seem to be begging for Tarkowski to get an injury, let's give him a chance eh ?

centre halves do tend to get better with age, because a good central defender needs to be able to read the game, be in the right position, sense danger, that comes with age, experience. Not saying he's the best because he isn't, but I have have you the example of Mina, who is younger and has a terrible injury record, you seem to be begging for Tarkowski to get an injury, let's give him a chance eh ?
I mean if that were true the league would be littered with over 30 CBs right? It just isn't.

Good points

And I get that we have to be realistic with who we can and can't sign. I just think we could have found comparable talent for less, or even found someone who isn't quite as good right now but who has a bigger upside in the long run

I just don't think the scouting network we have set up is really doing it's job if we're paying good money for a lad like this when we could potentially be finding hidden gems elsewhere

I know some will say "well who do you think we should be signing" but I'd counter that I'm not getting paid to do stuff like that whereas we employ scouts who are and it's very much THEIR job to do this stuff and saying that I couldn't do it doesn't really make the point you think it does. I work in a completely different field to football and it seems like an abdication of responsibility to expect me or anyone else to do a scouts job for them
We do already have substantial number of young players in the squad and we need to keep our focus on ensuring that continues. Either because of the transfer market or young players coming through the academy we need a continuous supply of young talent.
The example of Anthony Gordon is clear. I don't know what his market value is now but I suspect he would not be sold for a bid of 40m.
The importance of a manager who will give young players is also vital and apart from any external additions we have probably half a dozen academy players who will be hoping to get a chance next season.

All that said, these young players need a spine of experience and leadership to help them establish themselves. This is part of what Tarkowski offers.
I think also that young players need to see that Everton is progressive and focused on being a top half of the table team or players will be hard to convince to come to Goodison. The reputation of our manager is a huge bonus here as well as the names and reputations of some of the people he brought with him.

Only up to a point though mate, or we may as well just resign Distin, as his advanced years will have turned him into some defensive Jedi by now?!

It could boil down to the order signings are made in. If we sign a younger CB that could - all being well - be at the heart of our defence for a decade, later in the window, then this might look more sensible. An older head who can share the load/lead on the pitch for a couple of years for little initial outlay.

As things stand, this guy is the one move we’re making to shore up an abysmal defence. Nothing about his individual ability or performances give many the confidence he’ll turn it around by himself and nothing in the short-term nature of signing him at almost 30 suggests we have the luxury of time for the move to work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.