Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
I very much think this as well.

I'll judge Tarkowski on his own merits and sincerely hope he turns out to be a success.

But we are generally too dependent on this profile of signing and it many ways, it was the obvious one for this position. It might turn out well or not so well, but sooner or later, I'm looking for evidence of a far broader scope in player scouting because we'll need that to improve and progress.

We can really only judge the summer when the window closes. But in general terms I want to see us sign younger players, both domestically and globally that we don't initially have to overpay for and won't demand big wages. We must get back to a model where we can get 5-10 years service from some signings and/or sell them on for a big profit if they outgrow us. We must entice the best of young talent to come to the PL and not look so much for players to make sideways or downwards moves to us (as far as their career trajectory goes). I'm not necessarily putting Tarkowski into either of those categories but its a safe move for him supposedly on a pretty decent contract, both in years and wages.

I get the need to stabilise with safe, known-quantity type signings, particularly when they are available on a supposed "free" transfer. But we can equally stabilise and do better with a profile of player that I'd put in the young and hungry bracket. Predominantly that means joining from the EFL or from Europe, and the pull of the PL for the best young players in Europe, wherever they come from, is still great. We have to be looking to get the best of those players in and get first mover advantage by doing it early.

I want the big clubs to be sniffing around our players, it would be a sign of progress in itself. As it is, we can't even give certain players away. That has to change.

Good points

And I get that we have to be realistic with who we can and can't sign. I just think we could have found comparable talent for less, or even found someone who isn't quite as good right now but who has a bigger upside in the long run

I just don't think the scouting network we have set up is really doing it's job if we're paying good money for a lad like this when we could potentially be finding hidden gems elsewhere

I know some will say "well who do you think we should be signing" but I'd counter that I'm not getting paid to do stuff like that whereas we employ scouts who are and it's very much THEIR job to do this stuff and saying that I couldn't do it doesn't really make the point you think it does. I work in a completely different field to football and it seems like an abdication of responsibility to expect me or anyone else to do a scouts job for them

Godfrey Branthwaite Patterson Mykolenko have also all arrived during the Moshiri era so is it short termism or is it balancing the squad a bit?

My main point is to wait and see how a player performs for us before judging them as we’ve bought loads of players all of different profiles, age, quality, price, and there’s been no common denominator that predicts good performance.

This is fair

However, I would point out that in most cases where people on this forum have questioned certain signings before they've played for us it's been pretty rare that the initial swathe of pessimism was proven to be wrong

Sometimes an underwhelming signing in prospect proves to be underwhelming in reality

I personally don't think Tarkowski is a bad player or anything, but I totally get the trepidation others are feeling if we're paying him a decent wedge for a rumoured 4 year contract

That smacks of us still not learning our lesson tbh

Wanted him for Chelsea as well, so he's obviously rated incredibly highly by Frank and his team

Im taking that with a pinch of salt at the moment. Lampard froze out rudiger at chelsea and sold a centre back who won the title with AC Milan last year.
I'd rather think him being available with no transfer fee was a factor just as much as anything.
But we just have to see if playing for Burnley and playing for Everton will be different. Possibly not, as of right now depending on who may come in midfield. We parked the bus so many times last season he'll be a plus if we continue that way.
Fingers crossed on this one.

I very much think this as well.

I'll judge Tarkowski on his own merits and sincerely hope he turns out to be a success.

But we are generally too dependent on this profile of signing and it many ways, it was the obvious one for this position. It might turn out well or not so well, but sooner or later, I'm looking for evidence of a far broader scope in player scouting because we'll need that to improve and progress.

We can really only judge the summer when the window closes. But in general terms I want to see us sign younger players, both domestically and globally that we don't initially have to overpay for and won't demand big wages. We must get back to a model where we can get 5-10 years service from some signings and/or sell them on for a big profit if they outgrow us. We must entice the best of young talent to come to the PL and not look so much for players to make sideways or downwards moves to us (as far as their career trajectory goes). I'm not necessarily putting Tarkowski into either of those categories but its a safe move for him supposedly on a pretty decent contract, both in years and wages.

I get the need to stabilise with safe, known-quantity type signings, particularly when they are available on a supposed "free" transfer. But we can equally stabilise and do better with a profile of player that I'd put in the young and hungry bracket. Predominantly that means joining from the EFL or from Europe, and the pull of the PL for the best young players in Europe, wherever they come from, is still great. We have to be looking to get the best of those players in and get first mover advantage by doing it early.

I want the big clubs to be sniffing around our players, it would be a sign of progress in itself. As it is, we can't even give certain players away. That has to change.
God, this really cuts me to the core. I remember pre Kenwright when very few Evertonians thought like this. Are we no longer a big club?? Are we a penknife to the Liverpool, City, United or even Spurs GUN?? If so well done agent Kenwright you have won.

What we need really doesn’t factor into it, though, Dave. Every year we see posters (mainly @ForeverBlue92 ) stamping their feet and demanding we don’t sell a player for less than X.

If his suitor(s) don’t want to pay £80m+ then we either haggle a fee we can still put to good use or we put our foot down. If we put our foot down we have to keep our fingers crossed that Richy won’t down tools, and that the effect of keeping him on the team’s performance offsets the massive chunk we’d be taking out of his value by letting his contract run down to the final year.

We, along with all bar about 2 clubs in world football, are a selling club. If it transpires the most we can get out of a buyer is going to be £60m then I’d say take it.

Edit: Just realised we’re in the Tarkowski thread.

Looks like we’re signing Tarkowski, though, Dave!
Yes, I understand that. But this isn't another one of those scenarios. Richarlison is a real talent with real value that cant be ripped off Everton for what a buyer deems is acceptable to them.

This isn't a Gueye situation. Bothe the player and the context have changed. To believe we have no bargaining power here is well wide of the mark.

It might well be a lot of add ons, but we'll get up there past £80M for Richarlison with them, I'm sure...and it will be realistic for us to get those add ons too because the team he'll go to will be successful.

He’s still got to pass the notorious Everton medical yet.
Creep past the skeletal remains of Mikael Forsell, jump on the stones that spell out the name of Leroy Fer’s horse and then choose the grail that Sean Davis didn’t.

That's all in the days of Kenwright, that fella, what worries me is when he actually starts playing for us and that exemplary injury record finishes in tatters.

God, this really cuts me to the core. I remember pre Kenwright when very few Evertonians thought like this. Are we no longer a big club?? Are we a penknife to the Liverpool, City, United or even Spurs GUN?? If so well done agent Kenwright you have won.
That's not it at all. Look how much the elite clubs bring in from player trading, Chelsea would be one of the best examples.

If you think we can have another attempt at spending our way to success, then with everything that's gone on, I can't help you.

Define “big club” mate.

If you want to use the term as some chest-thumping means of aggrandisement to make yourself feel better then crack on, but the truth is we’re probably an established bottom half PL club now who hasn’t won a pot in almost 30 years.

In the context of the post you’re replying to - us as fans finding solace in other teams’ interest in our better players because it means we’ve recruited well - we’re absolutely not a big club and haven’t been since the inception of the PL. We’ve always been light years behind the big boys financially and even when we did get a few bob we just lashed it around like the end of the Crystal Maze.

I hope he deviates from the everton is a big club spiel when they do the signing interview and is like "Everton is meh but I couldn't pass the opportunity to work with the living legend Michael Keane"

Status
Not open for further replies.