New Everton Stadium Discussion

No, not designed in.

There is theoretical possible future safe standing at >1:1 that could increase capacity but no such legislation is imminent (the recent trial was mainly at < 1:1). Our shallow tread depths make such a gain at BMD unlikely IMO even if the law changes, though the club claims c. 10k theoretical upside.

The stadium has not been designed to be easily expandable but there is enough room on both East and (to a lesser degree) South to enable a future rebuild but it would be expensive and slow. The West would need the steps to be removed but a rebuild there is also theoretically possible.
Not entirely true. The tread depths will allow a second row of supporters, in a similar way that the Dortmund 'Yellow Wall' does.

It was in fact designed that way as the stadium itself is not expandable while maintaining the 'flow' of the design.

That didn't take too long.

FUQjgRqXwAEuPC4.jpg

I think there is a very good chance that the stadium will open with a larger capacity than the 52k.

The safe standing option is being trialed as it is , in three years time it will probably be standard.

Many stadiums that are installing safe standing are actually doing so at a loss, as a person stood takes more space than one sitting. So safe standing in many older stadiums will be at a ratio of 0.9:1. A 10,000 seater becomes 9,000 standing. Our opportunity to increase capacity is pretty much down to legislation, which will likely take a little longer than 3 years, but fingers crossed. At least we can maintain and not reduce.

Also worth pointing out (not that it matters so much currently) but this won't count in European games. It must remain all seater. Currently.

Was under the impression that the stands mirrored Goodison, hence the 2 tier north stand, 3 tier main stand etc.

The main stand does not have 3 tiers in the 53k version we are building although I agree perhaps a touch of Goodison was in the design with how it is layed out. The fact the wastewater plant is on the north side meant the South stand would always be our new home end. The visuals of it with the City skyline in the background should look spectacular, especially at night.

Actually, no. The treads incorporated in the design are not sufficient to enable a significant uplift per current best practice guidelines and seat width is also limiting. Of course future legislation might vary from current guidelines so nothing is definitive.

The design compromises made when the roof was lowered, rake altered and capacity reduced (the former due to Heritage concerns) somewhat compromised Meis’ initial design, notably to the South stand.

The extent to which future safe standing may or may not permit a capacity increase is very much TBD. The benefit may we’ll be more likely to be primarily atmospheric if and when introduced.

I should point out I am NOT an expert but this is the long-held view of my leafy North London neighbour, a Spurs supporting sports architect with Populous, who had a detailed look at our approved plans at my request. He thinks the club’s safe standing boost claims are ‘ambitious’!
Well your mate is talking plums.

The rake of the stand hasn’t been altered, the roof was lowered to make it more intimate which = louder (as Meis himself stated)

And the treads are suitable for a substantial increase in capacity when the legislation changes to greater than 1:1.