New Everton Stadium Discussion

How big is it compared to that picture at the top Jacko ? Is it 12 or 15,000 capacity.

I'm pretty sure that it's still bigger than the Kop and the Holte end. Not by a big margin if I remember correctly but definitely bigger than both.

For some reason I've got 16k stuck in my head.

Edit

The Kop holds 12,600
The Holte end holds 13,500
Our home end will hold 13,000

Our current Gwladys Street Upper and lower tier combined holds 10,300

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure that it's still bigger than the Kop and the Holte end. Not by a big margin if I remember correctly but definitely bigger than both.

Doesn't bother me, it's nice that it's bigger for a bit of bragging rights but it's the location that seal it really. When you watch the videos online and you see all the passenger ships on the Mersey, all those people will be looking at our stadium and not theirs.

Fancy one of those Disney cruises with the kids? You'll be sailing past the new Everton stadium and that's what the kids will see. Superstar rock concerts, heavyweight title fights, you name it and our stadium will be first choice because of the design and the location. Over the years that will be what makes the difference. We will just be more attractive, the place that people want to be whether for football or other entertainment.

Doesn't bother me, it's nice that it's bigger for a bit of bragging rights but it's the location that seal it really. When you watch the videos online and you see all the passenger ships on the Mersey, all those people will be looking at our stadium and not theirs.

Fancy one of those Disney cruises with the kids? You'll be sailing past the new Everton stadium and that's what the kids will see. Superstar rock concerts, heavyweight title fights, you name it and our stadium will be first choice because of the design and the location. Over the years that will be what makes the difference. We will just be more attractive, the place that people want to be whether for football or other entertainment.
In the original design Meis said it was built as a football stadium. However if we had put a roof on it we would have cleaned up as an entertainment venue.

Might have been a first for an English league team having a retractable roof. But that wasn't to be. Meis didn't get why it was needed. I thought he
might have understood since they have a lot of them in the US and ironically one of them HE designed. Also it would be quite cold and windy on the waterfront.

We might have a bigger home end but it'll still be only 53,000. All in all I think it's a bit underwhelming. I would have liked about 65,000 and a retractable roof. You can't get everything you want.

Edit

The Kop holds 12,600
The Holte end holds 13,500
Our home end will hold 13,000

Our current Gwladys Street Upper and lower tier combined holds 10,300
When safe standing is allowed at a ratio greater than 1:1, which it will in a few years, the home end will hold 15,500.

Might have been a first for an English league team having a retractable roof. But that wasn't to be. Meis didn't get why it was needed. I thought he
might have understood since they have a lot of them in the US and ironically one of them HE designed. Also it would be quite cold and windy on the waterfront.

We might have a bigger home end but it'll still be only 53,000. All in all I think it's a bit underwhelming. I would have liked about 65,000 and a retractable roof. You can't get everything you want.
We're not Southern 'jessies'. We're made of sterner stuff. A bit of wind and rain never bothers us otherwise our forefathers would never have got as far as the Isle of Man never mind conquered the World.

'Which ever land or Continent wherever footballs seen, you'll hear the name of Everton....'!

Isn't there a potential to expand the stadium (at a later date)already built into the design?
No, not designed in.

There is theoretical possible future safe standing at >1:1 that could increase capacity but no such legislation is imminent (the recent trial was mainly at < 1:1). Our shallow tread depths make such a gain at BMD unlikely IMO even if the law changes, though the club claims c. 10k theoretical upside.

The stadium has not been designed to be easily expandable but there is enough room on both East and (to a lesser degree) South to enable a future rebuild but it would be expensive and slow. The West would need the steps to be removed but a rebuild there is also theoretically possible.

No, not designed in.

There is theoretical possible future safe standing at >1:1 that could increase capacity but no such legislation is imminent (the recent trial was mainly at < 1:1). Our shallow tread depths make such a gain at BMD unlikely IMO even if the law changes, though the club claims c. 10k theoretical upside.

The stadium has not been designed to be easily expandable but there is enough room on both East and (to a lesser degree) South to enable a future rebuild but it would be expensive and slow. The West would need the steps to be removed but a rebuild there is also theoretically possible.

Why I always thought they should have crammed it up to around the 55k mark.

Wouldn't have made a massive difference in funding or expansion on the current plans but would have likely meant we wouldn't have ever needed to have expanded regardless of the safe standing possibilities.