Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a "miracle of miracles" is no longer, say, Everton winning the title or the CL, but merely beating mid-table Palace at home.

Good grief. Maybe I should just tender my resignation as an Evertonian to BS Billy tomorrow at FT. I'm in the main stand, so maybe near enough.
just think of the good times as you hand it in!

If they win, they can go to eleventh. Points mean prizes, sorry money, so his owners will surely be pushing for a result as there is something to fight for.

Well i think a top half finish is progres for them and something to build on, isn’t it?

Money of course matters too, but I think the season will look very bleak if they bow out with a draw and two defeats In 14th, after the Money they spent.

Even though they have nothing to play for, it’s still a big game for Villa tonight.

Come on Everton! End the misery, put this season behind us and let us enjoy the final weekend. Big win tonight.

I've just realised that the last time I was really confident of an Everton side doing the business was probably sometime around 1987. We had a brief spell under Big Joe when I was fairly sure we could get results. But since then, it's largely been "let's hope for the best" stuff. Then again, I suppose the default for 99% of sports teams at any time is to expect the worst.

One's attitude to today largely reflects one's attitude to risk. I see people, not unreasonably, saying that we won't go down as too much has to happen for that to occur. That's a seductive, reassuring way to look at things - but just because a lot has to happen doesn't mean that, individually, these things are implausible or even that unlikely. We could draw tonight. One Burnley win and one Leeds win later and we are down if we lose on Sunday. The odds are clearly in our favour that all of these things won't happen, but it is not that long a shot that they do. On an individual level, all four of those things are very possible and plausible. It's not like one of our rivals has to win a game 5-0 to catch us. We can be caught plausibly enough. Yes, the odds definitely favour us, but the real unsettler is that we are even in this discussion, in this danger, however remote or unlikely it seems right now.

That's the bit I struggle with: that we are, essentially, clinging on because other sides are marginally more incompetent than us despite us being fantastically more financially-resourced than them. It's a disgrace. Essentially, the players and staff at Burnley and Leeds have, pound for pound, done a better job than our equivalents. Ours cost more and are paid more - and yet, we are a cigarette paper - or four - away from relegation.

If we do pull through, let there be no delusion or amnesia. Without a massive overhaul of every level of the club, we will eventually meet a grim fate.

If we go down, we just have to get on with it as such. At the end of the day irrespective of the division we're playing in, we'll still be wanting Everton to win.

It's been 30 years since you guys last won the league. Sheffield Wednesday had a decent team that time as well. Football has totally changed for the worse since 1992, there's no doubt about that.

The FFP bs, the VAR bs, the saudi terrorist club owners, it's sad to see what was a once great sport, end up being destroyed by corporate greed imo.
I was in 2 minds with the whole Superleague debacle last season. Part of me wanted those 6 to just f off with their plastic clubs and plastic fans and let real clubs with real supporters like yours and ours to actually compete

Status
Not open for further replies.