Referees v Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
They hate us. I didn't want to believe it but between a significant amount of football media poisoning the well regarding the Goodison fans and the repeated unfavourable decisions I'm struggling to put it all down to incompetence. Would make avoiding relegation even more heroic because its us vs the footballing world right now it seems. Fair play to Shearer for showing integrity regarding the red card though.

They probably think it's part of the product.

Footy has a lot more opportunities for a crooked referee or referees to influence the game than many other sports. Scoring is rare, so a decision that takes a goal off the board or puts one on is massive. A referee has a ton of discretion over a card and its color. It's hard to spot, say, a very technical violation of the offside rule or a foul in the buildup.

We watch the game from a fixed angle, be that in a seat or through a camera. This limits what we can see, as well as how well we can see what we do see. I suspect it makes it easier to manipulate replays for offside calls as well, should they be so inclined.

I think that the TV money is so big now that they don't much care about their legacy fans. They thought they could make the revenue pie keep growing forever. Otherwise, why leverage themselves the way that they did to buy players? They figured they would grow out of the problem.

The "new" fans want their team to win. They generally picked a "big" team to follow. The league wants to give those fans what they want, in order to retain them.

In my opinion, they're making the same mistake NASCAR made through different means. NASCAR made a bunch of rules that alienated their base in order to chase after growth. The problem is that the "new" fans are fairweather. They will probably get bored eventually and move to the next trendy sport. When that happened, NASCAR had a very bad time.

If that day comes, a lot of top division clubs are going to have a bad time. The "investor" owners will get burned. The sovereign wealth clubs won't fold, but some of the remaining big clubs may go into administration if their owners decide not to throw good money after bad.

Right at the end of the game Lewin was blatantly shoved right in front of the ref, I could see it was blatant from where I was but the ref waved played on. I know there were plenty of other examples in the game but that was the one that just proved beyond doubt the refs incompetence. By the way, the baldy linesman was no better.
He was worse than the referee that baldy no mark, waited every time for the fella who was supposed to be a referee to signal which way the throw was awarded to before he put his flag up, he got a huge ironic cheer near the end when he signalled for a foul for Everton, a complete dogsbody.

All these panels just exist to back up the dreadful referees and their dreadful decisions. It's a shambolic system in this country and the standard of officiating is a disgrace. How can they honestly expect us to believe there is fairness with these sort of decisions?

We need to start legal action

They exist purely to serve a select privileged group and they don’t care what the rest of us think of them. We’re just inconveniences.

Status
Not open for further replies.