The Media who cover Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a great post and I do feel superior to a Kopite.
Brought down to earth some years ago when I was living in Devon, somebody I met who was a Red's armchair/tv fan thought Everton was " one of those mill towns near Manchester".

That is the problem our name, how many globally or even nationally have heard of us. Our big problem is being named after a district would have been different if we had taken the name of our city and let the other lot call themselves Anfield.

That is the problem our name, how many globally or even nationally have heard of us. Our big problem is being named after a district would have been different if we had taken the name of our city and let the other lot call themselves Anfield.
Feel for this town’s football or any other team.
1643634444978.jpeg

Balance we won our last trophy in 1995 Dave - we have gone from a nearly club to relegation fodder that's when you get bad publicity we have been run shambolicaly 6 managers in 6 years .....
They want us back in the comfort zone for them: a club they can patronise but not have to worry about crashing into the elite club party thy are paid to stand guard over.

I think we may see a subtle change in how the media portray us if Frank Lampard is a success here. Frank is a bit of a media darling and comes across very well when he is interviewed. Sky especially seem to be very keen on him.

I havent read the whole thread so sorry if this was brought up already but this is for me is one of the reasons that fan media has been so successful, Podcasts, fan tv stations even twitter spaces etc have all grown on the back of fans getting sick of the [Poor language removed] spouted by traditional media. Clubs no matter what their size dont want tough questions or investigative journalism, they just want the local media to show up at the press conference ask their nice timid questions and write a lovely fluff piece and the national media to leave them out of the firing line. Fan media with its lack of restrictions on what can and cant be said because it largely has no direct relationship with clubs is increasingly becoming the first port of call for fans

This annoyed me this morning on BBC website.

Everton: Frank Lampard agrees to become manager​

Not “Everton appoint Lampard“ or “Lampard to manage Everton”.

But Lampard “agrees” to manage Everton.

As if he is holding his nose and signing on for us.

The media really do belittle us at every opportunity.

There's an element of context there though. The previous story that was up on their site for hours was "Everton offer Lampard manager's job" or words to that effect. Then for hours nothing until the next development came along....Lampard accepting the offer. If you view the "agrees" as some kind of nose holding contempt then I'd have to say the issue is with you rather than the coverage.

I used to go on Twitter for a bit of football news and the like but I got sick of it for this reason and it's not specifically an Everton fan thing. Some fans perceive insults or slights where there are none. They seem to equate not being overwhelmingly positive with disdainful bias. A reporter can write or speak about the glorious history of a club, their fondness for a stadium and wax lyrical about the atmosphere but if one criticism is made, regardless of how fair and relevant, then all of a sudden there is anger at the disrespectful tone and bias from a media that is clearly in thrall to another club.

I blame talk sport and Jim white myself.. as soon as he announced he was best mates with Mosh we got found out as a media joke. I did however tap my left foot watching the video of lampard being unveiled. Bit early 2000s with the editing but Better than the VHS turd we normally turn up with.

We are badly served by those in the media who cover this club. The Echo coverage is appalling, of course. But we also have a terrible representation of the club by all the writers on the club from the Mail, Mirror, Telegraph, Guardian etc etc. About the only one's they dont go after are the players. The fans, the board, the owners, the managers...all there to be hammered by that lot.

They have the knife out for Everton and they enjoy the thrill of attacking us. They wont be too patient with this incoming manager either. I bet they cant wait for him to lose a few games.

Ok, we have been a basket case in the Moshiri era, but I doubt there's another club in the PL who gets this treatment. I have no idea how they get away with it.

I'm not sure what's to be done, but I just thought I'd throw the issue out there.
We don’t help ourselves either, at times

They dont want that. They want Everton to know their place. That's at the back of it. They love pointing out how we've wated cash - it helps them sell their prejudice that we shouldn;t think big.

'EVERTON KNOW YOUR PLACE'

That;s the message.
Not seeing that to be honest. We should start by taking the gun from moshiri, to stop his foot shooting

There's an element of context there though. The previous story that was up on their site for hours was "Everton offer Lampard manager's job" or words to that effect. Then for hours nothing until the next development came along....Lampard accepting the offer. If you view the "agrees" as some kind of nose holding contempt then I'd have to say the issue is with you rather than the coverage.

The previous headline was:

Frank Lampard offered Everton managerial job to replace Rafael Benitez

So both times Lampard was the subject and Everton the object.

The previous headline was:

Frank Lampard offered Everton managerial job to replace Rafael Benitez

So both times Lampard was the subject and Everton the object.
I really don't see what there is to be upset about. The subject of the article is both Lampard being offered the Everton job and Everton offering the managers job to Lampard.

Frank Lampard was literally offered the Everton managerial job. The first line of the article is "Everton have offered their vacant managerial position to former England midfielder Frank Lampard."

The phrases are completely interchangeable and to deduce from that some kind of anti-Everton rhetoric is beyond thin skinned.

Status
Not open for further replies.