The Media who cover Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't see what there is to be upset about. The subject of the article is both Lampard being offered the Everton job and Everton offering the managers job to Lampard.

Frank Lampard was literally offered the Everton managerial job. The first line of the article is "Everton have offered their vacant managerial position to former England midfielder Frank Lampard."

The phrases are completely interchangeable and to deduce from that some kind of anti-Everton rhetoric is beyond thin skinned.
I’m talking subject-object in grammatical terms, and correcting what you said about the earlier headline (because I thought the same as you before I looked it back up).

We are badly served by those in the media who cover this club. The Echo coverage is appalling, of course. But we also have a terrible representation of the club by all the writers on the club from the Mail, Mirror, Telegraph, Guardian etc etc. About the only one's they dont go after are the players. The fans, the board, the owners, the managers...all there to be hammered by that lot.

They have the knife out for Everton and they enjoy the thrill of attacking us. They wont be too patient with this incoming manager either. I bet they cant wait for him to lose a few games.

Ok, we have been a basket case in the Moshiri era, but I doubt there's another club in the PL who gets this treatment. I have no idea how they get away with it.

I'm not sure what's to be done, but I just thought I'd throw the issue out there.
Do you think Gillett and Hicks were given a free ride by the press during their ownership of the RS?

I’m talking subject-object in grammatical terms, and correcting what you said about the earlier headline (because I thought the same as you before I looked it back up).
No, in my opinion. The headline was Frank Lampard [was offered*] the Everton... job.
* Not specifically stated, but grammatically understood.

Everton did the offering, and so are the subject of the sentence. Them's the fings wot I fink, anyroad.

I was going off memory and am still pretty sure the story link on the homepage (rather than the actual page) was closer to what I previously wrote. Could of course be wrong.

But possible memory lapses aside I still can't see the derisory tone towards Everton with that phrasing.

No, in my opinion. The headline was Frank Lampard [was offered*] the Everton... job.
* Not specifically stated, but grammatically understood.

Everton did the offering, and so are the subject of the sentence. Them's the fings wot I fink, anyroad.
I have no idea what you’re talking about, and frankly I don’t really mind how you view those headlines.

May peace be upon you.

I was going off memory and am still pretty sure the story link on the homepage (rather than the actual page) was closer to what I previously wrote. Could of course be wrong.

But possible memory lapses aside I still can't see the derisory tone towards Everton with that phrasing.
There are bigger things for us to worry about / celebrate tonight!

We are badly served by those in the media who cover this club. The Echo coverage is appalling, of course. But we also have a terrible representation of the club by all the writers on the club from the Mail, Mirror, Telegraph, Guardian etc etc. About the only one's they dont go after are the players. The fans, the board, the owners, the managers...all there to be hammered by that lot.

They have the knife out for Everton and they enjoy the thrill of attacking us. They wont be too patient with this incoming manager either. I bet they cant wait for him to lose a few games.

Ok, we have been a basket case in the Moshiri era, but I doubt there's another club in the PL who gets this treatment. I have no idea how they get away with it.

I'm not sure what's to be done, but I just thought I'd throw the issue out there.

Recently they've been justified in laughing at us, but i totally agree, especially when it's clear they've done no research or don't have any contacts or sources of any credible info. Their opinions are based on social media and other media reports, so it's just pure speculation half the time. They don't really know anything behind the scenes.

How they get away with it is that at executive level down to the pitch level, we are not standing up for ourselves. Just how nobody really fights on the pitch for decisions, or sticks up for each other when players are attacking us, or pressures the referees ( hope we don't get as bad as Liverpool & Man U) and even if you take the example of the breakaway league our response was just treated like 'aawww that's cute that letter from Everton'....

We need confidence and style at every level, but re: @Shibbywiggles above and @Zeitgeist and others , we don't really deserve it recently...Ancelotti had us more in the public eye, James too (though he wasnt taken seriously) now I think it's more or less 'How can you spend so much money and not have improved?'...

Do you think Gillett and Hicks were given a free ride by the press during their ownership of the RS?
No, but LFC and their fans were....even when they were issuing phoned death threats to the family of directors and assaulting them in the Sandon.

I thought the media were far too kind on our previous manager and firmly had the rose-tinted specs on when talking about Rafael's previous 'achievements' while ignoring his colossal failures pretty much every week during his disastrous time in charge at our place.

I'd much rather the media criticise when criticism is entirely justified.

The very title of the article is negative, and tbh this could have been written 12 months ago, but they save it up for the day before he’s unveiled as our manager.

In contrast, when Herr Klopp was getting the RS job at Mordor…

View attachment 154242
But Klopp was far more successful as a manager at that point. Are you sure your not letting your bias cloud your judgement here.

But Klopp was far more successful as a manager at that point. Are you sure your not letting your bias cloud your judgement here.
Maybe, but there’s conscious and unconscious bias all around us. Over the last few years, media texts that reference the RS have displayed both types of bias on an alarmingly regular basis.

YMCA eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.