Martinez Mayhem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez managed us 6 years ago. I imagine he has progressed as a manager in that time. Not saying he is the right man but ruling him out on his performance 6 years ago seems a bit wild.

My first worry was the fact he was so stuck to his philosophy. Looking at his belgium teams, it appears that isnt the case anymore and he has progressed to playing three at the back to make best of what he has available (Belgiums defensive options are very poor/old).

Also, record points total, a european QF and two domestic semis in three years? Its not a bad record is it.

I would also point out that:

1) As bad as it got, he left us in 12th place with two semi-final runs. That's the kind of 'failure' that looks a lot like success to us these days.

2) In that first season we played some genuinely fantastic football, with a not-that-great squad.

I do think it's a bit of an uninspired choice, but the way you lot are talking as if he's a total chancer is very unfair, and quite revisionist.

Only Everton could think this.

Hovering just above the drop, worries about relaxation ? I know let’s hire an ex manager that got relagated … let’s hire a manger who got sacked because he can’t actually defend ?

I would also point out that:

1) As bad as it got, he left us in 12th place with two semi-final runs. That's the kind of 'failure' that looks a lot like success to us these days.

2) In that first season we played some genuinely fantastic football, with a not-that-great squad.

I do think it's a bit of an uninspired choice, but the way you lot are talking as if he's a total chancer is very unfair, and quite revisionist.
Tell you what mate the stats don’t lie. Not rewriting the history. Turning failure into some kind of success and deems it’s ok.

1642416075080.jpeg

Do me a favour. If you put 11 of the best footballers in the world in the same team you're bound to get something right. They've already been coached by their clubs. All you have to do is have a few get togethers to bond them. Why not get Southgate FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.