Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it has to go to either Duncan or Rooney on the basis that everything else has failed before it.

The above two both support the club they get what it’s about. We need to take a risk now to move forward.

What on earth has Martinez done apart from be nice to Bill in the last five years to deserve the job again? His last two years were a failure he hasn't done much with Belgium a very talented squad. Is he really the man for a relegation scrap?

I think it's abundantly clear to everyone on here that Martinez is not the man for the job but since when has that stopped the board before? It's like they are trying to out do themselves now.

This is the problem, one of them just wants to go for the most sentimental choice he can, the other just wants a Hollywood name. Only our club could have a reported scenario where we’ve sounded out Mourinho and Martinez.
We need someone with energy and hunger a manager who failed before and a big name won't provide either.

Kovac wouldn’t come here with how many voices he’ll have to deal with in the background.
Sadly I agree but I can always dream.

I pray Moshiri just buts out of on the field dealings and allows a manager and DOF to build a team worth actually doing something

From Paul Joyce

Everton have targeted Roberto Martínez for a return to the club after sacking Rafael Benítez.

Martínez, the Belgium coach, took charge at Goodison Park in 2013 before being dismissed by the owner Farhad Moshiri in May 2016.

The 48-year-old has remained in Everton’s thoughts and was strongly recommended to replace Carlo Ancelotti last summer until Moshiri pressed ahead with appointing Benítez. The gamble of hiring Benítez, the former Liverpool manager, was highlighted when his contract was terminated after the 2-1 loss away to Norwich City yesterday.

With the search now on for Everton’s seventh permanent manager in just under six years, Martínez has come to the fore once again. There is an appreciation at Everton that a deal will be difficult to do as the Belgian FA has outlined its determination to retain his services with the World Cup in Qatar looming in November. When Martínez signed a contract extension in 2020, he also became Belgium’s technical director.

The idea of Martínez coming in an interim capacity has been played down by Everton and in the club statement released after Benítez’s departure they said they were looking for a permanent replacement.

Martínez will have to push to leave the job he took over months after leaving Everton. His departure came after relations with several senior players became strained despite leading the club to semi-finals in both domestic cup competitions. The final say will go down to Moshiri, who favours managers with experience.
José Mourinho, the Roma head coach, has previously turned down Everton, while the club’s former striker Wayne Rooney, who has impressed in galvanising Derby County, and the former Chelsea manager Frank Lampard will also be on the shortlist.
The fact that Everton want a permanent successor to Benítez would appear to count against assistant manager Duncan Ferguson being placed in charge in the interim.

Status
Not open for further replies.