2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, less leeway than anyone else? I must have blanked out all of that unswerving support Dave has given to our previous incumbents. I'm sure someone more bothered than me could probably find a complimentary post from Dave 14 matches into Koeman's reign, I know he must've been a big supporter of RonKo as he always gets behind the team and the manager.

Start off by dipping your toe in the vaults and see the bile he spouts on Moyes as a starting point.

The issue is the lack of pace. Allan is getting very pedestrian. Coleman is too slow and sloppy. If we can prioritise these 2 areas it would make a big difference. Get someone else who can compete with Townsend and we should look good.
The issue is the lack of a drilled defence and playing players in a midfield 2 who are not capable of doing it efficiently, using a 4 4 2 system that is 15 years out of date and continuing to play fat Rondon that's the issue, or rather they are the issues

Mate, we have spent 600 million in 6 years, (and a lot in the few years before that,Raf was given 1.7 million,are you honestly going to say it is a level playing filed of comparison?
That's not what I said. What I said was that prior to Moshiri negative net spends was the norm for decades, and for a lot of that time we were a more coherent team than we are now. The last five years have been different and have, unbelievably, seen us go backwards as a club. Benitez knew the circumstances he was walking into, he has referenced them many times. He has also stated that 8th place or below "means nothing to him" and, bizarrely, claimed just this week that we will finish 7th. What I am saying is that £1.7m, on it's own, isn't a big enough excuse to explain what is currently happening. We look utterly rudderless, we can't score, we can't defend, we are a far less coherent team than we were last year. We have had some injuries, yes, but we pay Benitez an enormous amount of money to navigate is through difficult periods but he's not doing that. He looks lost. He is not the man for a relegation battle, he proved that at Newcastle.

In my eyes
I’m not standing by raf btw, just looking at it objectively
We're rock bottom of the current form table, we are in 14th on equal points and goal difference with the 15th and 16th teams, have won once in 10 games and have only DCL and perhaps Mina to come back from Benitez' first choice team.

I don't think we'll go down, but, it has to be said, it is a possibility if we let this continue.

I say we desperately hope to get to safety this season with no further investment in January, fire this clown near the end of the season, and go after Moyes or Martinez and equip turn them with money in the summer. Those two managers didn't get a fair crack of the whip with us.

Nothing would change overnight, I never suggested it would. But we need to start a long term plan at some point. You're argument is basically it would be too hard, and that's a ridiculous reason not to try something.

You need a young manager with a long term plan to carry out the kind of rebuild we need. The players being crap is not an argument in favour of persisting with our current approach in terms of managers and recuritment. It's a clear reason to start completely from scratch in my opinion.

I don't understand why you would prefer to continue down the road of experienced PL players and managers. It has left the club with an abysmal squad under a has-been manager, heading towards the relegation zone.

I’m not saying I want that. What I want is a complete overhaul of the medical and recruitment departments. When we’re giving managers good players, who stay fit, then we might finally see which of them is any good.

If every new manager is left dealing with the same clowns who get him fired before he can change anything then no long term plan is ever going to see the light of day. We go into a relegation death spiral, the board panic, and they’re gone. Another 4 season plan in tatters.

My ideal scenario is Benitez draws the poison out of this club like a leech. He takes so much vitriol and flak that he stubbornly punts all the sentimental old favourites Coleman Davies etc. out of the club, turfs half the old boy coaching staff out, fires the medical team (already starting) forces a face off with Brands that sees him out, demands money from Moshiri, and buys in a few more like Gray.

In a season or two we would have a decent squad safely embedded in the league with a decent behind the scenes set up, Brands gone, and the rotting core of this squad out. At that point we can fire Benitez and give a young manager an actual fighting chance to achieve something.

If he walks in now though my worry is he’s walking into a cesspit that will see him fired within 12 months. I’d rather Benitez took that abuse and at least turned the sinking ship around so a new manager can take us forward.

I’m not saying I want that. What I want is a complete overhaul of the medical and recruitment departments. When we’re giving managers good players, who stay fit, then we might finally see which of them is any good.

If every new manager is left dealing with the same clowns who get him fired before he can change anything then no long term plan is ever going to see the light of day. We go into a relegation death spiral, the board panic, and they’re gone. Another 4 season plan in tatters.

My ideal scenario is Benitez draws the poison out of this club like a leech. He takes so much vitriol and flak that he stubbornly punts all the sentimental old favourites Coleman Davies etc. out of the club, turfs half the old boy coaching staff out, fires the medical team (already starting) forces a face off with Brands that sees him out, demands money from Moshiri, and buys in a few more like Gray.

In a season or two we would have a decent squad safely embedded in the league with a decent behind the scenes set up, Brands gone, and the rotting core of this squad out. At that point we can fire Benitez and give a young manager an actual fighting chance to achieve something.

If he walks in now though my worry is he’s walking into a cesspit that will see him fired within 12 months. I’d rather Benitez took that abuse and at least turned the sinking ship around so a new manager can take us forward.

I don't want the DOF or manager going and the other staying. We need a completely fresh start.

I don't trust Benitez with recruitment and I don't trust Brands with recruitment. I don't think this is the wrong time for a new manager, rather the right time. Expectations are at an all time low and anything positive will be welcome.

I think Townsend has been ok, not outstanding and terrible last night.
Gray is a success but apparently he was coming regardless of Rafael.

How do you work that one out when Rafael personally phoned and text Gray, asking him to move to Everton. Its been said that Rafael has been keeping tabs on him for 4 years, wanted to sign him for Newcastle.

Oh look Rafael makes a fantastic signing, we can't give him credit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.